Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Cape Hatteras, NC

Has anyone been to the KOA in Cape Hatteras, NC? We are planning a trip from RI in May, and would love to hear your travel suggestions (ie-advoiding I-95). Also would love to hear your suggestions on staying in the KOA. We are planning the Memorial Day Weekend. Forum members welcome to join!

All input appreciated.

Thanks,
Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'ld really love to join you but "The Bat Cave Express" will not be ready to roll by Memorial Day. Unless you guys what to come over to help
Go the Cape May Ferry and Bridge Tunnel route and avoid Delaware, Baltimore, Washington and all of 95 South of NYC I think.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Gail,

The WDCU had a rally there last year. I would say everyone liked it. Next to the beach, a couple of pools, etc... Nice people.

Paul Waddell
WBCCI/WDCU/VAC 1270
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
We also avoid 95 and NYC by taking 84 through Connecticut to 687 in NY to Tappen Zee Bridge. Then 87 to Garden State Parkway to NJ Tpke to I-295. BTW there is a year-round campground, Timberlane CG, in Clarksboro, NJ, that we use as our first stop. We then get back on I-295 to cross the Delaware River Bridge. Right after entering Delaware we pick up 13. This a great road for towing; very light traffic and primarily flat. We continue on 13 through Maryland and Virginia to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel and pick up 17 just south of the CBBT to Elizabeth City, NC. There is a motel right on 17 in Elizabeth City that has about 10 RV sites-water and electricity and dump station-was a Holiday Inn, now a Quality Inn (I think). Elizabeth City has the best Oyster House, C & H Oyster Bar, Inc., also on 17 north of the city.

OK, from there you're a short jump to the Outer Banks. Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

We have traveled a number of times from southern Vermont to Cape Hatteras. We too avoid the I-95 corridor to the extreme by taking I-88 in New York, staying overnight at Candy Hill Campground in Winchester, VA and then taking I-64 to US 17 until Newport News where I-64 will connect to Rte. 168 and down to US 158 and eventually onto Rte 12.

We stay at Camp Hatteras which is right next door to the KOA. Great location. Best thing about Hatteras is that they allow your 4x4 truck out onto the beach. There's nothing better than driving your truck out in the sand with a weber grill, an umbrella, and a six of Red Stripe and not seeing another soul in either direction...
WBCCI 1062, Wash DC Unit
LuvSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Call ahead to check on the regulations regarding the Gas Bottles and tunnels.

Maryland is a pain. Va is reasonable around Norfolk for the Hampton tunnel, but the lady at VDOT advised me that the Bay Bridge tunnel is privately owned and has different rules than Va.

In Va. you would stop at a designated area just prior to entering the tunnel and an attendant will come out of the building and check to ensure the gas is turned off. Then proceed.

Check first. Hard to turn the rig around that close to the tunnel.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:35 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Gail, there is a fee for the Cape May Ferry and also the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel and it will take a bit longer than using the I-95 route, but your trip will be much more pleasant! Enjoy the Outer Banks, I love it there.

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Gail we live just North of the Outer Banks. The route that LuvSub gave you is the route that I would use. You avoid some of the heavier traffic and heavier tolls. There is a beltway around Newport News that will avoid most of the heavy traffic in the Tidewater area and still put you on 168 in Chesapeake. If you are coming down for Memorial day be absolutely certain that you have reservations. There are not that many places to camp and they fill up fast. It's not to early to make them now.
Take 64 to exit 263B and get on 664. 664 will take you through a tunnel and will connect with 64. Take 64 to exit 291B which will put you on hwy 168. Follow 168 south per LovSub's directions. Hope this helps and welcome to Carolina. I have courtesy parking just across the Virginia/North Carolina line just off 168 would love to see you.

Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all for the wonderful driving directions! This helps greatly with the planning. We took I-95 last spring to Washington, D.C. and had white knuckles by the time we got there. Plus the tolls were horrendous. We paid $150 in toll/bridge/tunnel fees round trip, which we couldn't believe. We learned quick after that experience, to advoid toll road as much as possible.

Tarheel, thanks for the curbside offer, we might take you up on that if we decide to make the trip.

My next question is to anyone that has gone to Cape Hatteras, is it worth the trip? Is there much sight seeing or is it more beach & fishing?

Appreciate all suggestions

Thanks,
Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
Old 01-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
You will want to see the lighthouses. The first you will pass will be the Bodie Island light, for the non natives its pronouned body island, then you will cross the bridge to Hatteras Island and get to the campground. The Hatteras light is about 25 miles south of the campground and well worth the visit. I love Ocracoke Island. Its a long day trip but one of my favorite spots to vist. You go to the end of Hatteras Island and take a 45 minute ferry ride over. The island is only 12 miles long, but they have the wild ponies and a beautiful lighthouse and an interesting harbor called silver lake.
Heading north from the campground and turning west onto 64 takes you into Manteo. There is the Weeping Radish where they brew their own beer and have wonderful German food. Right next door is the Christmas shop with all kinds of Christmas stuff as well as jewlery and artwork. Then go to Old Manteo where you can visit the Elizabethen gardens and tour a replica sailing ship that brought the English settlers to Fort Raleigh. The play "The Lost Colony" is put on each evening and is a must to see. There is a boat museum in Manteo. In Nags Head there are many outlet shops and all kinds of crafts up and down the highway as well as the Original Hatteras hammocks. I don't think you will be bored.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Outer Banks

I concurr with Tarheel, you won't regret the trip. Don't forget to visit the First Flight museum in Kitty Hawk NC. You'll be amazed at how much the outer banks have changed since the Wright brothers first flew their plane.

There is one notable tourist trap that I would avoid "Dirty Dick's Crab House" - you'll see billboards for miles that start with the charming ad "I got my crabs at Dirty Dick's". I think their main business is selling T-shirts to college students... and the food just about as delicate and tasteful as their billboards. I admit with regret that they've also opened one in Virginia Beach - but last I heard it isn't doing well.

You can find dozens of great little restaurants all the way from Elizabeth City to Manteo and many where the boats pull up to the wharf and the chef goes out to choose the special of the day. Do you know about the Brew Thru's? Honest - they're drive through beer stores. Now why is THAT a bad idea?

IMHO the farther off the main drag you go the better it gets, but do watch out there are lots of small narrow back roads with car eating drainage ditches on either side. Wouldn't want to explore too far until the trailer was safely parked. I love going through the Back Bay Wildlife Reserve at dawn. I always allow 20-30 minutes to pull off and watch the birds as they start their day. Cormorants diving, eight or nine varieties of ducks, blue or white herons and in the winter swans and Canada geese. It's just amazing to see a massive flock all take wing at once as the sun comes over the horizon. Eagle sightings are still rare but the smaller raptor like the red tailed hawk and the peregrins are becoming much more common. Only 2 places where you'd get your trailer in and out safely, but if you can stop, do so. You'll be amazed at what you can see by just standing still or walking quietly.

When I first moved down here I was surprised at the number of small family graveyards that are still in use on private plots of land. Many are right out by the road. And do remember that you will see a Confederate monument in the town square of virtually every quaint village you pass through.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The road over to Manteo splits at a traffic light. You take a right to go into Manteo and a left to go to Wancheese. There are some nice seafood resturants in Wanchese. The road 64 going over the causeway has many nice resturants our favorite is senator Basnights place Lone Cedar.
Rt. 12 has several overlooks where you can park and see the waterfowl. Most of them will have gone north by Memorial Day but you will see osprey on the bridge taking you to the outerbanks. look on the big power line poles on your left, and in the sound on the outer banks. They are true eagles and have come back very nicely. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #13
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Years and years ago, there was a wonderful seafood restaurant in Nags Head called Evans Seafood. Is it still there? I grew up in the Tidewater area and headed to Nags Head for vacations. It has been a looonnnggg, looonnnngggg time since I have been there, but I still remember the great seafood we would get at Evans.

Um, may have to plan a trip to Nag's Head this summer. Um.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Kathy I don't recall seeing it recently and I went on line and looked up the name and drew a blank.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
Thanks everyone, sounds like a great vacation spot. Now we have to decide if we can fit it into our schedule. After calculating the distance, it might take longer to get there than we'd planned. The Region 1 Rally in Canada is going to be an 8-10 day vacation by itself, and we have a Washington, D.C. trip also planned, plus other rallies. So, I think we might have to put this on the agenda for 2006.

Thanks again
Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1