Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Can u help me? Need answer for my airstream final paper.

Hi, my name is Everton Granero, I’m an international student at UCSD in Business Management Program. For my final paper, I decided to develop a business plan about an airstream dealership. So, I come up with really simple questions that I would like the answer from any airstream owner or airstream fan. My goal is prepare this business plan to develop a dealership in San Diego that would provide the best service and have an ideal inventory. Most of my questions are related to Marketing and feelings that you guys have for this well-known and recognized American brand. I promise that will take just 5 minutes!

Thanks for you help!

1) What’s your favorite Airstream model and size?

2) What Airstream brand means to you? (Tell me about your history with Airstream)

3) Why did you buy your rig? When was it?

4) Do you have plans to buy a new Airstream?

5) In your opinion, what you consider most when you are buying an Airstream? (Variety of models, payment, price, sales person, placement, green friendly, fuel efficiency)
#Very important to my survey!

6) What would you change in your Airstream? Improvements!

7) What services would be great to have in a dealership in San Diego? (Rent, Storage, Repairs, others?)

8) Would you buy an Airstream from a dealership here in San Diego? Why wouldn’t you?

9) Do you think that customized Airstream (Customized for Outdoor Sports like hiking or diving – Eddie Bauer) would sell? Considering people of all ages.

10) What magazines do you read? Where would you advertise this dealership?

11) Would you consider Airstream dealership website important for the buying process?
Everton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
1) Classic Limited; 34
2) Timeless-Classic look, quality construction.
3) Change in RV lifestyle -- see post on my blog @ An RV Life | Changing our RV Lifestyle and @ An RV Life | Travel Trailer Vs. Motorhome ; April 2011
4) Just did.
5) Floor Plan/Livability.
6) Toilet space/configuration.
7) Repairs; Mid/long-term storage.
8) No -- live in the Northwest and there are several very good dealers in the area.
9) Yes.
10) Only read on-line. Would recommend ads in AirStream Life, Blue Beret, Trailer Life; web-stes: AirStream Forums, Rv.Net, Escapees, iRV2.
11) CRITICAL!
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Can u help me? Need answer for my airstream final paper.

Greetigs Everton!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton View Post

1) What’s your favorite Airstream model and size?
My favorite Airstream model is actually an Argosy model that never made the transition to the Airstream fold. The model is the Argosy Rear Entry 24 that basically is a front bedroom coach measuring 24-feet. See illustration below:

Quote:

2) What Airstream brand means to you? (Tell me about your history with Airstream)
A family friend's new Airstream was my introduction to RVing in 1964. Memories of that trailer and the fun I had spending the weekend camping in it drove my decision to purchase an Airstream. I considered no other brands, but due to cost, I went with a pre-owned coach that would today be referred to as a Vintage (35 years old when I purchased it in 1995). The quirk of fate was that the coach that I purchased turned out to be the same 1964 Airstream that I remembered from my youth.

Quote:

3) Why did you buy your rig? When was it?
I purchased my Airstream in the fall of 1995 from its third owner. The Overlander is a 1964 model so it was 35 years old when I towed it home. I purchased my rig because it had all the features that I remembered from my youth - - a large, very useful rear bathroom -- twin beds in the center of the coach with hammock bunks above -- and a bright and airy kitchen/livng area. The coach also had the door-within-a-door and jalousie window features that would be discontinued in the next model year. The coach has continued to meet my every expectation continually since purchase.

Quote:

4) Do you have plans to buy a new Airstream?
I seriously doubt that I will ever replace my current Airstream. A new Airstream simply does not offer certain features that endear my coach to me -- including:
  • Door-within-a-Door -- this feature was discontinued at the end of the 1964 model year and has not returned since. This feature offered a comparatively secure screen door that could be depended upon for greater durability than the current separate assembly.
  • Jalousie Window -- this feature that was placed beside the entry door permitted good ventilation even in rainy weather. This was another feature that was discontinued at the end of the 1964 model year.
  • Full-Width Rear Bathroom -- this feature virtually disappeared from Airstream sometime in the 1980s. While it does pose some engineering difficulties, it is a feature that I require in my coach. The side bathrooms are just toow cramped and compartmentalized to suit my travel and comfort needs.
Quote:

5) In your opinion, what you consider most when you are buying an Airstream? (Variety of models, payment, price, sales person, placement, green friendly, fuel efficiency)
#Very important to my survey!
Personal experience with the brand was my sole motivation behind my purchase. The timeless design and intuitive arrangement of the floorplan have endeared my coach to me through the years.

Quote:
6) What would you change in your Airstream? Improvements!
My biggest issue with Airstream travel trailers built since the 1980s is the lack of a standard Dometic 3-Way RV refrigerator (or even if it were offered as an option). In the late 1990s, I considered purchasing a new coach and two issues prevented me from pursuing the purchase -- lack of a full-width rear bathroom and lack of the option of having a 3-way Dometic refrigerator. I now realize that I would also miss my door-within-a-door and jalousie window as well had I pursued a new coach. The only major change that I have made in my 1964 Airstream was the installation of a Dometic 3-Way RV refrigerator in 1999.

Quote:
7) What services would be great to have in a dealership in San Diego? (Rent, Storage, Repairs, others?)
My priorities when considering trading with any automobile or RV dealer includes:
  • Service department staffed with fully-trained profesional technicians who can address any issue encountered with the vehicle including but not limited to - -
    • Electrical and technological components
    • Chassis and running gear components
    • Comfort and convenience accessories installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair
    • Soft goods (fabric/leather trims) installation, maintenance, repairs
    • Body and glass maintenance, repair, replacement
  • Willingness to service earlier models of the manufacturers products even if they pre-date the dealers' association with the manufacturer.
  • Restoration and/or refurbishment services.
Quote:

8) Would you buy an Airstream from a dealership here in San Diego? Why wouldn’t you?
Distance would be the primary limiting factor to my considering trading with a dealer in San Diego. I would be likely to seek out an authorized Airstream repair center should I be traveling in the San Diego area and be in need of repairs and/or servie on my coach. I try to utilize a dealer who is no more than one day's drive from my home.

Quote:
9) Do you think that customized Airstream (Customized for Outdoor Sports like hiking or diving – Eddie Bauer) would sell? Considering people of all ages.
Should Airstream offer a "Nostalgia" model in a 25 to 27 foot coach, I might be very tempted to consider a new coach. I seriously doubt that there would be enough market interest to offer a coach with the features that could lure me a away from my 1964 Overlander.

When considering the broader market, special "designer" editions and "hobbiest" editions of RVs/SUVs/Automobiles seem to generally find their niche if the price and content of the package is appealing to buyers of the correct demographics.

Quote:

10) What magazines do you read? Where would you advertise this dealership?
My suggestions for promotional placement would include:
  • The Blue Beret
  • The Vintage Advantage
  • Trailer Life
  • Web sources
    • Airforums.com
    • wbcci.org
    • vintageairstreamclub.com
Quote:

11) Would you consider Airstream dealership website important for the buying process?
The vendors web presence is very important to me with nearly every major purchase. It is always helpful to find the following on a vendor's site:
  • A comprehensive listing of both new and pre-owned inventory
  • A comprehensive description of standard and optional equipment included on each vehicle.
  • A comprehensive description of the service department including services offered, rates for common maintenance/repair jobs, and information regarding the qualifications of service department personnel.
  • A comprehensive description of the parts and accessories department including an on-line store for the purchase of accessories and/or parts.
Good luck with your project!!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
overlander64 and techiej i really appreciate your help!!! thanks for the time that u lost helping my project! I was waiting for more answers, do u guys know something that i should do to have more answers?
Everton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
"...I decided to develop a business plan about an airstream dealership. So, I come up with really simple questions... I promise that will take just 5 minutes! "

i think your questions are both too easy AND too complex.

most of us could easly talk/post for hours about the various reasons etc for an airstream.

ask 10 'streamers the same question, you'll get 20 answers.

we all can't even agree on the best length or hitch!

a consensus - we don't need no consensus

there are both the rational and irrational reasons for buying one.
some folks did extensive research, others knew from the first time they saw one [that's us] that only an AS would do.

good luck on your project. maybe you should just but one and hit the road?
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote