Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
camping in canyon land and other NPs

I was looking at some info on canyon land and see in the fees section this info.

FEES
Fees are charged for park entrance, camping
and backcountry permits. Eighty percent of
the fees collected at Canyonlands are re-
turned to the park to address priority needs
in maintenance, infrastructure, resource
management and visitor services. The fol-
lowing fees are in effect for Canyonlands:
• Entrance: $20/vehicle, $10/individual
• Interagency Annual Pass: $80
• Local Annual Passport: $40
• Developed Campgrounds:
Squaw Flat (Needles) - $15/night
Willow Flat (Island in the Sky) - $10/night
Group Sites (Needles) - $3/person/night

So if you are camping at canyonland like Squaw flat, do you have to pay the entrance fee every day or how does that work??
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The basic entrance fees are usually good for a week, at every park of this type I've been to. As many people in the car included for the $20 in your case, it's not $20 for the car then more for passengers. The park entrance fee and campground fees are separate.
If you'll be traveling around the SW a lot the interagency pass is usually a good deal considering the number of parks, monuments, in the area.

If you are over 65 you can get a golden pass dirt cheap, lasts the rest of your life.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
"HiJoeSilver"
is the interagency pass a utah state pass or something with NPS.
I think the age is 62 now for the "Senior Pass" what a crappy name.. I liked the golden pass better for a name. ITs 10 buck for life..and yes it is a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
The basic entrance fees are usually good for a week, at every park of this type I've been to. As many people in the car included for the $20 in your case, it's not $20 for the car then more for passengers. The park entrance fee and campground fees are separate.
If you'll be traveling around the SW a lot the interagency pass is usually a good deal considering the number of parks, monuments, in the area.

If you are over 65 you can get a golden pass dirt cheap, lasts the rest of your life.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's still called the Golden Age Passport, and is good for all NP's and 1/2 off..usually..federal campsites.

Maggie
Old 09-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Called the Senior Pass, but the older Golden Age Passports are still honored:

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Personally, I'd stay down the road from Island in the Sky at Dead Horse Point State Park.

Lynn
Old 09-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The interagency pass covers most national parks and many federal lands covered by usfs and blm. States have their own park pass systems that varries by state.

Dead horse is a nice park, as long as it's not 120 degrees out! I guess that goes for the whole area though. If it hasn't snowed a drive up the LaSal loop road is nice.

Didn't want to use golden age or senior pass, didn't want to come off as ageist. Plus I've got an issue with these passes.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Didn't want to use golden age or senior pass, didn't want to come off as ageist. Plus I've got an issue with these passes.
Curious, could explain that statement?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
It looks like the interagency pass is the same as the annual pass, http://tinyurl.com/hk22kdy
at 80 bucks a year, where as teh senior pass is 10 bucks and good for longer.

Are they the same just for a different age group it seems. but both will get you into National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Forest Service sites that charge admission.

SO does that reduce the admission price to the parks??

Dead Horse park was mentioned the other day when i was talking to some folks at a birthday party.. they said it was a nice place as well..

Quote:
The interagency pass covers most national parks and many federal lands covered by usfs and blm. States have their own park pass systems that varries by state.

Dead horse is a nice park, as long as it's not 120 degrees out! I guess that goes for the whole area though. If it hasn't snowed a drive up the LaSal loop road is nice.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not know the answer to your question. But the agency pass at $80 a year is a good deal and there will be a lot of opportunities to use it. We have the Golden Age pass and if you are old enough that is the way to go. If you are not old enough for it, then you might get chapped to have to pay $80 per year for what us old folks get for free. But the $80 is still a good deal.

Canyonlands does say that the admission pass is good for 7 days.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There are some folks out there that feel using a pass is an abuse of the system that takes advantage of those who pay full price and taxpayers in general.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sorry for the segway.

Lumantic I've seen this before and didn't ask at the time so thanks in advance for the clarification.

If your eligible for the pass and pay for and use it is that considered an abuse.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

We currently use the annual $80.00 pass. We are looking forward to the day when we can get the senior pass (or whatever it's called them) if it's still available.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I agree with you.. IT a good deal at $80 bucks if you hit the place with regularity. The Golden Age, aka, Senior Pass will be available for me in 2 yrs.

I think if the senior pass was 80 bucks one time would be a better deal for the NPS vs 10 bucks.. I know, i know,, all the one that will rush in saying we paid tax for years and we should get it for free.. I was going to pay the 10 bucks for the pass and donate the $70 to the NPS killing two birds with one stone.

Unfortunately our federal legislators have not done a good job of keeping our national treasures in a good state of health, but that is a problem for another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I do not know the answer to your question. But the agency pass at $80 a year is a good deal and there will be a lot of opportunities to use it. We have the Golden Age pass and if you are old enough that is the way to go. If you are not old enough for it, then you might get chapped to have to pay $80 per year for what us old folks get for free. But the $80 is still a good deal.

Canyonlands does say that the admission pass is good for 7 days.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Maybe the park service gets donations from the seniors who get in with the free pass. I seem now to belong to the Mesa Verde Association, something with Yellowstone, Arcadia, and a few other parks that we have visited and liked features of enough to support.

We use it for the low rates on Forest Service campgrounds too. It is very nice to drive up to a monument that you might not want to devote enough time to pay the $20 daily fee for 2 people and be able to do it in a half hour and go on or decide to come back or stay longer.

I am reminded how good a deal the Golden Age Pass is when I go to Canada and pay full price for Jasper and other parks. Or when I watch the Canadians on caravans in the US wince when they buy the yearly pass.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Which part the ageist, didn't want to be calling anyone Senior or golden! Honestly built a few houses this summer with groups of volunteers where the average group age was well over 65 and I had a GREAT time with them all! Lots of fun.
The real problem is the NPS is $14 billion behind in maintenance, I think that chopping the annual price to maybe $20 per year year for seniors, vs $10 for the rest of your life would be pretty reasonable. Plus no veteran discount? Anyway that's my thoughts chief. Go navy! I know I'm not PC! 15 years until I qualify for a senior pass.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
We recently qualified for the Senior Pass and I in no way feel guilty for taking advantage of one of the few benefits available to seniors. I am a military veteran and my wife and I have been gainfully employed all our lives. We've paid a lot of money in taxes over the years and neither of us has ever been arrested. (I suspect this applies to most seniors.)

I will add that I am appreciative of this benefit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am sure the Park Service would be happy to take donations from anyone that is against the well deserved discount passes. They usually have a donation box right on the counter for your convience.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
The federal interagency pass is called "America the Beautiful" now. There are several versions of the pass, including Senior and Permanently Disabled. My husband is a permanently disabled veteran (about to turn 50). He was able to get the pass for free. The benefits seniors and disabled will get from these passes varies depending on who is actually running the federal site. If it's being managed by a private corporation there is no discount. While visiting Mt. Rushmore is free, the parking isn't. We were charged full price for parking. When we drove thru the Badlands, we were admitted for free. USACE campsites are half price.

We do agree that more could be done to protect our national treasures, and letting private corporations run things hasn't been the answer. My uncle has worked at the Custer State Park Game Lodge for several years. The building was constructed in the early 20th century and President Coolidge stayed there. One would think it's historic significance would mean someone was taking care of it. My uncle said that isn't the case. While it looks well maintained, it needs major restoration work. The corporation managing it certainly isn't going to spend that kind of money.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
We recently qualified for the Senior Pass and I in no way feel guilty for taking advantage of one of the few benefits available to seniors. I am a military veteran and my wife and I have been gainfully employed all our lives. We've paid a lot of money in taxes over the years and neither of us has ever been arrested. (I suspect this applies to most seniors.)

I will add that I am appreciative of this benefit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Ditto.

There are few benefits to getting older, but this pass, reduction in property taxes, etc., are meant to help maintain a quality of life while living on a reduced income.

I feel no guilt whatsoever.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I don't think anyone should feel guilty using what is offered. Just think the park service is doing themselves a disservice considering their financial woes. I donate every year to the nps, outside of buying a annual pass.