Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Campground in Eastern Arkansas

Anyone know of a good campground in eastern Arkansas near Interstate 40 that we could camp at with a dog?
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
That's a tough one. East Arkansas is flat prairie land covered for the most part by rice fields near I-40. Depends on how far east you mean. We've found a few that were just one night stopovers for us on the way east. One is in West Memphis, Ark just a couple of miles north of I-40 on I-55. Can't recall the name right now but think it was All American or something like that. Level campsight with concrete patio and trees. You can stay hooked up to your tow vehicle the sites are so level. Another is Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park just south of I-40 on the banks of the mighty Mississippi with the lights of Memphis and sounds of the tugs pushing barges up and down the river. Tom Sawyer's is out in the open along the river with no trees but benches where you can sit early with a cup of java and watch the sun come up and the river traffic. Our favorite is right in the Memphis city limits and near Graceland, T.O. Fuller State park and it's great! Lots of trees and a really popular public golf course nearby. That's about the best of East Arkansas we've been able to find or recommend. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

That sounds good as we want to stop right after we pass memphis. I will do a search on some of those parks. It may be fun to watch the tugs on the miss.

tom sawyer that is.

oh i was wondering i know your lab is all grown up... yeah right. But how do you manage with the two dogs and the cat. The cat is an old pro at traveling. He has been west three times , west to pagosa and then once to Vancouver Washington. the animals will be traveling in two separate vehicles. Any tips on managing our 4 month old lab puppy. we will be taking his kennel.

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The straight poop

The one on I-55 in West memphis is called "America's Best" and is about 8 miles north of I-40. It is a nice campground with lots of shade. I saw quite a few dogs there. We stayed there on the way to St. Louis last year and really liked the place. Phone is (888) 857-4890 .

The WBCCI directory lists it as a campground with a WBCCI discount, but the young couple that runs the campground never heard of WBCCI.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
John,
Thanks for clearing that one up. Look as I might, I just couldn't find the correct name for that one. John is right though, it is a nice campground and the shade issue is important in the summer on the prairies of eastern Ark.
Gryphon,
We've had Labradors all our married life (37 years) and they are a lovable lot especially as pups. Find a good book is the best advice I can give. James Lamb Free probably has one of the best about training labs. I loaned it to my son-in-law and cannot recall the exact name but it might be Training Your Labrador Retriever. You can most likely find it in an index using the author's name if it's still in publication. Dicipline training can start now with your pup. Take it a few minutes at a time as their attention span is very short like a childs at this point. Make it all fun with lots of praise. They are eager to please and extremely intelligent as you've probably discovered by now.
As for the cat and the dogs together, we just got lucky with this cat. We bought the Tonk on a trip to Florida and all she knows is travel and loves it. Tonks are very tolerant of dogs, at least ours is, and she intimidates our yellow Lab to the point of physically pushing her out of the way at times. It's too funny to watch. Our Golden has always wanted a cat to play with (none of our previous cats would have anything to do with our dogs) and now that he has one, he doesn't know how to handle it. That too, is fun to watch.
Have a great life with your Black Lab. We've had all three colors and the black ones are still my favorite. I also hunt my Labs and they are the best in the field as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
How U say Arkansas......

..... Please excuse this Limey... but how DO U say Arkansas, is it spoken as: Our-kan-sas or Ar-kan-saw, I'm goin with the latter 'cos U already gotta Kansas, U gotta few Bostons BUT there's only ONE ENGLAND...LOL...
'Scuse Me, what's a DOG ?...Our Toby is a Retr: Lab, & still a Big PUP at 10 years old... He swears He aint no DOG, Dogs r those mutts than run abt on the streets & full of fleas & bark all day & look as if a good meal would give 'em belly ache... I think I got a pic of Him in My foto's...
I read Tom Sawyer millions of Years ago, it was good then, & still is, that's Y I go 2 Fla: & Disney & Universal so much, My D/W says Men don't grow up, they jus wear long trousers, Guess She rite 2... LOL....Chris.....
Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
And we only wear long trousers when we're at work!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I think it is the latter as well. maybe some one from there can clear this up.
I say Ar-kan-saw.
Dak is our second lab and as far as a short time in the truck he seems to do well. I was just wondering about traveling with him. He is pretty well trained at home. Somewhat curious about the cats. They are a little weary of him. Big spastic black thing lumbering at them. Oh today I noticed he is starting to lose his baby teeth. How cute. They don't refuse to come into the room with him. Just when he walks towards them they run and that makes him give chase.
after reading the posts about Tonk I decided my next paid for cat wil be a Tonkinese. They sound very neat.
Oh well we are packed and ready to go. So well roll out in the am. Hopefully make it to eastern arkansas. Spend the next night At Red Rocks state park in OK. The next night in or near Amarillo. The next night we'll spend with Eubank at monte vista. Then hopefully well roll into Pagosa around evening on thursday. maybe one of the spots we'll spend more than one night.
Thanks for all your help here. I love this wonderful informative forum.
Any of you guys make it out to southern co. Look us up at the last resort. We'll be the ones in the airstream.

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

Old 05-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Enjoy your trip down part of the Great American Road, Route 66. Safe travels to you all.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Just an update

we made it to Tom Sawyer Mississippi river Campground the first night. It seemed like a very nice park and for the short while we were there we really enjoyed it. Dak ran after a few sandpipers and got to see a toad frog up close and personal. I jerked him away before he mouthed it.
He (the dog) did very well on this trip. He slept the entire way. Sleeping all day did not affect him being tired at night.
We stayed the second and third night at Red Rocks Canyon State Park near Hinton OK. We had a great time walking the dog on the poorly maintained trails. We all had a blast.
We were hoping to stop in Eubanks campground but we went past the road and Tom didn't want to turn around. But NOOOOOOO we drove all the way from Hinton to Pagosa Springs.
We won't do that again. Wow we were seeing pink elephants jumping across the road.
Now we are here and it is beautiful. Hot with no humidity. We need rain desperately. As does all the SW.
Thanks for your help with the dog. I was worried for nothing. And he is growing like a weed.

Gryphon
WBCCI #6978

Old 06-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Gryphon,
Good to have the update and to know you made it safe and sound. We've seen those pink elephants you speak of and also swore never to chance seeing them ever again. Better taking it slow and safe rather than fast and maybe sorry. Happy trails to you and yours.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
I grew up in Eastern Arkansas. Yes there is a lot of fertile flat farm land in this area but you really should check out a great little spot just about ten mile north of Forrest City. (Forrest City, Arkansas is along I-40 about 45 mile west of Memphis.) The place is called Village Creek State Park. This is a great little park on Crowley's Ridge.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=21

The park is known for its unusual topography (yes hills) and some very good fishing.
FlyFishInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Fly,
Thanks for the information on Village Creek SP. We always thought the geology of that samll area to be a striking contrast to the alluvial plains of eastern Arkansas much like an oasis in the desert. VCSP will be another rest stop oppourtunity for us on our travels east and we look forward to utilizing it and exploring it's beauty. Our only other visit to an Arkansas State Park was Lake Catherine near Hot Springs and we enjoyed our stay. Thanks again.