Old 05-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It was my understanding that the Cat 6e solution is the same as the Cat 6a. Some folks call it e while other a, the specs seem identical (625mhz, shielded, though there is an unshielded Cat 6a too).

There was one version of 10gbs cable, not sure what it was called, but that cable could also do 10gbs, but it could not do it up to 100m, the current locations of our network cabinets to the farthest workstations.....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Some questions that drifted through... Are you soliciting bids from a number of BICSI qualified contractors? Do you have a trusted consultant in the wings? Assuming that you are deciding on the intrabuilding cabling for an ethernet distribution system and that the cables would be homerun from switches to the enduser work stations, would a cabling plant upgrade imply that the various switches and servers also be upgraded? There may be some implicit but (as yet) hidden costs in some of the more advanced technological solutions.
Interesting thread.
regards

Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All good questions.

Yes, I am asking for proposals and am using a certified network designer specializing in cable plant deployments.

The issue of electronics has been addressed for current standards (10ge backbones, 1gbs desktop), so the cable plant that goes in should be able to support at first a 1gbs transmission to the clients from the access switches, but as the access switches age and need replacement, the cable plant should be able to support more than the current 1gbs standards. As I wave my crystal ball looking beyond year 5, I get the sense that there is a real possibility in years 6-7 (after deployment) that 1gbs to the desktop will be what 100mbs to the desktop is today and that higher capacities may be not only possible, but probable.

In my particular case right now, most of my existing plant can't even support 1gbs to the desktop, and in Illinois, for major projects in public schools, when you go out to the community for additional funding beyond normal funds collected from property taxes (due to tax caps), you are required to spend the $$$ within 3 years of approval. These fundings called referendums happen about one or two times in 10 years, if that, with no promises that even if you float one, the local community would approve it, so while we have these funds now is why we are looking at this as we just addressed the issue of the electronics which were end of life, end of support. The weakest link in my chain right now is the cable plant. Currently, 75% of my workstations and laptops support 1gbs as does my switchgear.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
It was my understanding that the Cat 6e solution is the same as the Cat 6a. Some folks call it e while other a, the specs seem identical (625mhz, shielded, though there is an unshielded CAT6a too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

If my understanding is correct, CAT6 defines the through-put standard and the letter after designates the type of wire core. The letter e is suppose to specify small stranded wire cores, which is used for applications that need a more flexible core, like in a TT, where road vibration can take it's toll on a more rigid core. I used CAT6e in my Safari for my private (non-wireless) network, and used the extra for sat. controls.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Ok, just for future references to this thread . . .

A quote from a website that I would name, but I don't know if I'll allowed to do that here, so . .

"The general difference between Category 5e and Category 6 is in the transmission performance and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for Category 5e to 200 MHz for Category 6. This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications."

Further, I am told that manufacturers have the liberty of "tweaking" the way they make wire, so long as they maintain the minimum standards of the CATEGORY. That said, you may get slightly better performance of a verses e, depending on the manufacturer, but your network speed is also dependant on the hardware you use (patch panel, routers, cable connectors, etc.) for speed. So you can have a cable that is better, but still not be able to capitalize on it.

Calvin