Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well said. Whether it is a couple of extra dollars in our pocket, an effort to hold down increasing demand or a choice of conservation, it never hurts to be aware of what one is spending, money or resources...not too many today would say those are unlimited.

photography
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I don't care if global warming is real, natural, imagined, or man made. A lot of the things you do by conserving are just good things to do. It makes sense not to live in a wasteful way. You can often save yourself money, and put your efforts into living more simply, and find a more meaningful existence in doing so. Buying locally supports people in your own community. You can build relationships with the people you buy from instead of dealing with a faceless conglomerate.

Conserving saves your energy bill. Recycling reduces your garbage bill. Growing your own food is healthy, a good physical activity, and reduces your grocery bill. Driving less or ride-sharing or having a more economical car reduces your gas bill.

If it takes global warming, real or not, to make people think about how they live and make changes for the better, then it's a good thing. The scientists can continue studying and debating the causes. We still benefit. We don't have to go overboard and give up things we love, like Airstreaming. However other changes ion everyday life can offset the splurge of our favorite hobby.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
I don't care if global warming is real, natural, imagined, or man made. A lot of the things you do by conserving are just good things to do. It makes sense not to live in a wasteful way. You can often save yourself money, and put your efforts into living more simply, and find a more meaningful existence in doing so. Buying locally supports people in your own community. You can build relationships with the people you buy from instead of dealing with a faceless conglomerate.

Conserving saves your energy bill. Recycling reduces your garbage bill. Growing your own food is healthy, a good physical activity, and reduces your grocery bill. Driving less or ride-sharing or having a more economical car reduces your gas bill.

If it takes global warming, real or not, to make people think about how they live and make changes for the better, then it's a good thing. The scientists can continue studying and debating the causes. We still benefit. We don't have to go overboard and give up things we love, like Airstreaming. However other changes ion everyday life can offset the splurge of our favorite hobby.
I do all of these things(I had a third of an acre garden this year, however it costs me more to recycle/it's an added charge), thats just conservation and being frugal, both of which I am a big believer in.

It is wrong however to scam or fraudulently represent something that is simply not true. This is being used to scare people into voting a certain way and so they can say anybody who disagrees with them are crazy so people won't listen to them. It's just wrong to lie to people, ends do not justify the means(the number one guy on the global warming front is one of the most wasteful humans on the planet and could care less about his or anyone elses carbon footprint, he cares about his acuisition of power and popularity and now he's in good company as a nobel lauriate right up there with Castro). I don't need anybody to tell me how to live smart, conserve or keep mother earth clean and beautiful.

Because of "environmentalists" ( not real environmental conservationists) we now have toilets that usually need to be flushed twice which ends up using more water than the old ones did that actually worked as designed. They also kept firefighters and conservationists from cleaning out underbrush and dead plants, foilage and trees that became super fuel to the California fires (this is allowed across the border in Mexico and they are able to contain their fires when they happen). They have also kept us from building nuclear energy facilities which would drastically help conserve fossil fuels and end our dependance on foreign oil, as well as stopped mining which would allow for more clean burning coal technology further decreasing our dependancy on foreign oil. In their zeal to save us from ourselves they often cause more harm than good.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Okay, I better quit before my warning meter goes postal. I do however love a good spirited debate and I hold no malice toward anyone no matter what your stance. Have a beautiful carbon free day.

Heinlein
Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
we now have toilets that usually need to be flushed twice which ends up using more water than the old ones did that actually worked as designed
On that note and FWIW: Check out the Vacuity brand toilets. They use less water AND they actually flush the first time. Fewer plunger opportunities, too. Plunging is different than normal, not hard, just different. Plunging how-to is on their website and not in the box, for some reason. We've had one for a couple of months now and are very satisfied.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED
On that note and FWIW: Check out the Vacuity brand toilets. They use less water AND they actually flush the first time. Fewer plunger opportunities, too. Plunging is different than normal, not hard, just different. Plunging how-to is on their website and not in the box, for some reason. We've had one for a couple of months now and are very satisfied.
Thanks, I'll check them out. It's kinda of funny I have a friend who, well, lets say thinks differently than me and he is always b@#$%ing about how that stupid toilet always gets clogged and he has to flush it 2 or 3 times and hope the plunger doesn't have to come out as well. I'll send him your toilet info as well, I'm sure he'll be greatful.

Heinlein
Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #47
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Thanks mrmossyone. Very well stated. LJH
Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Another way to look at it

A few years ago I went to a conference on "Creating Global Sustainability" at, of all places, Disneyland .

One analogy I picked up has stuck: Another way to measure energy use is calories. The average 3rd world person burns up an intake of calories equivalent to a dolphin. The average european burns up calories equivalent to a pilot whale. The average American on the average burns up the equvalent number of calories as a blue whale, the largest living creature on earth .

Ever notice at Disneyland you never see garbage? All the garbage is disposed of out of sight on an underground conveyor system so the visitors don't have to look at it .
Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #49
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Isn't paying for a carbon credit a way of relieving guilt?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We just want to find that valley. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Can anyone beat 18.5....
Old 12-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orient , New York
I scored a 10.5 and I haven't started to travel yet .I drive 9,000 miles /year .I live in a rural area .I said that my electric bill was 150/month and my heating was 100/month. @ $3.00/ gal that not much oil.I guess I should sell my house and live in the trailer .
Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Interesting. We have 2 cars, a Toyota Pruis and the TV, a 2006 Expedition.

Using the Toyota we get 4.5 and the Expedition gives us 8.88. All else being the same except for mileage. Since we are both retired, the Toyota gets about 12K per year and is used most of the time. The Ford about 10K as a second car and as the TV.

John
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
If one can use carbon credits sold by someone offsetting carbon, I reckon I should be able to sell credits for the beer I no longer drink, maybe more if I give up soda, that is a lot of co2...or maybe just for not driving my diesel....hmmm, just a thought.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
<speaking as a moderator> I don't care about political correctness, only about the Community Rules

Try not to drag either of those things into this, please
(1) Stop and think about it,Every thing in life has something to do with politics and/or religion.

(2) Why do we alway think $ will solve any problem?If only I had more $ I to could buy carbon credits just like the BIG BOYS do.

(3) Was I politicaly correct?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
This is one of the threads that would be fun to view again in 10 years. Most quote experts, both the liberal and conservitive, acknowledge that between now and 2040 will have reached or pasted the peak output of oil available on this planet.
That said we are a bit late on finding an alternative for my TV, and I do believe we will come up with an alternative at some point.
Interesting time in history right now.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Take politics to the blogosphere please

The mods early on recognized where this thread might go. This post is an example of keeping "Discussion of politics ... in association with the topic of this forum." Global warming is a polarizing issue with significant political overtones; with minor exceptions, posts on this issue have been removed from this thread. We're a long way from November 2008 and the moderation team will channel discussion away from any issue of political contention.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Per NOAA, "Pre-industrial levels of carbon dioxide (prior to the start of the Industrial Revolution) were about 280 parts per million by volume (ppmv), and current levels are about 370 ppmv. The concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere today, has not been exceeded in the last 420,000 years, and likely not in the last 20 million years."

The University of Minnesota is losing royalties due to expiration of it's patent on the honeycrisp apple. But the universities of Minnesota and Illinois have long collaborated on producing grain crops optimized for the 450-500 ppmv level. Sounds like more royalties coming!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Checking up on the NOAA weather stations...

For those interested in learning about the 1200+ local weather stations that are used by NOAA to gather historic weather info, check out the site Watts Up With That?.

There are standards for appropriately-sited weather stations, but you might be surprised by how often and how spectacularly these standards are violated. My favorite is the weather station on the rooftop of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat building.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 12-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Brea , California
CanoeStream,

Yes you're technicaly right (as a trained Agronomist) crops do better with higher concentration of CO2. It's natures corrective path for environmental balance (plants 'exhale' oxygen) thus the more plant growth the more oxygen. Seaweed will most likley do better because of the higher CO2 concentration in oceans.

Glenn
Closed Thread