Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I would love an EV, especially a convertible! Can you imagine zipping through the woods with just the sound of your tires on the pavement, hearing the birds chirping and the leaves rustle in the wind? But they are just not practical yet. The range is too small, and finding a place to plug in is non-existent. Then you have the enviromental guilt of all those batteries. But I'm sure all these things will be overcome someday.

I live where I have to drive into town to get stuff, but I try to control the urge to run into town for one little thing, and do everything in one trip. And I am lucky enough to work at home, so I save all that commuting milage. I wouldn't trade living in the country for anything. They have been talking about doing a rails-to-trails conversion on the unused RR tracks that run right by my house, and if they do then I'll be able to bike into town for stuff. I really hope that happens before I'm too old to bike! Changes happen too slow around here!

Oh, and Top Gear is one of my favorites too!
Enlighten me please, what is Top Gear?

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 PM   #30
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
What kind of power plant is producing the electricity to charge those batteries, which with that range prolly would have to be charged every day. How much would your utility bill go up having to charge those batteries every day? What is the environmental impact of disposing of those batteries when they go bad and need changing. Lots of variables to look at.

I'm more interested in biodiesel, running on old used cooking oil/grease.
C'mon man, it's a Bugeye Sprite! De-Lucas'd! (i.e. it will run!). I could do the calculations for various emissions, (~2lb CO2/kwh of KY coal, SOx, NOx, PM, etc, but I ain't gonna. It's a Bugeye Sprite. That runs!)

Top Gear:
YouTube - Top Gear: Atom

Cracks me up.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Let me help you

I can sense the collective guilt of all of you. I know you feel bad about the footprint those big tow vehicles leave. The pain all that heating oil usage causes. I know all you frequent flyers need redemption.

Well, I can ease your guilt. Cleanse your heart and cure your cough.

Just send me $200.00 and $15.00 monthly maintenance fee and I'll plant the trees of your choice at the ranch. I'll water and care for your tree to keep it healthy and making oxygen. Not only will your tree make clear fresh breathable oxygen but birds will be able to build nests and chirp unmolested. Dogs will appreaciate them too.

I recomend three trees per vehicle you own and at least five to offset your house.

All trees will be planted in Chiliquin Ore.

PM me for payment info.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
C'mon man, it's a Bugeye Sprite! De-Lucas'd! (i.e. it will run!). I could do the calculations for various emissions, (~2lb CO2/kwh of KY coal, SOx, NOx, PM, etc, but I ain't gonna. It's a Bugeye Sprite. That runs!)

Top Gear:
YouTube - Top Gear: Atom

Cracks me up.
I like the little Sprite but I don't have one, which is why I'm interested in biodiesel for my ride. It's cool but I prefer biodiesel, it could run off of that too.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
Old 11-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Just send me $200.00 and $15.00 monthly maintenance fee and I'll plant the trees of your choice at the ranch. I'll water and care for your tree to keep it healthy and making oxygen.
Well, I can't approve of watering trees unless it's done with reclaimed water that has run off the roof. Got to conserve the natural resources you know...

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #34
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
I'm selling the house, recycling the AS, buying a horse, and looking for a cave.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
No need, these are Airstreams just saddle up the bicycle. No wonder WBCCI local units were a big draw.

photography
Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Does the rating take into consideration the use of heating sources in those areas that if we reduced considerably we would most certainly not make it through the winter alive

You would find us all stiff as a board...

We scored a 12.75 - with 6 months of the year using propane and wood heat.

I put in VT as the closest State to where I live - Are the states pro-rated for their climate???

Solar and other uses - still generate a huge amount of carbon foot print in the initial manufacturing level...is that ever factored in???

The best way to reduce is to insulate 50-100% better than what we are...

Another big help to our environment is to recycle...We are really big on that up here and find it amazing the places in the states that have the technology that do not recycle.

We also found it interesting in many places we have traveled through in the Eastern states that there are no sidewalks - you have to drive everywhere you go.....or walk on the 4 lane roads that would amount to many of our hiways systems up here...not the small towns - but the places just off the interstate system...

Big vehicles and high speeds...all add up....

Think green play green - let your grass get weeds, throw down wild flowers, clover - lake properties - put back the 30-60' buffer of natural vegitation instead of "lawn"....

It is a lot more fun to roll around in the clover than it is in the pricly grass
Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
You would find us all stiff as a board...
But just think how low your carbon footprint would be

Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #38
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Interesting thread

I like looking at reasonable ways that I can do things to help out such as using the flourescent light bulbs, turning down the heat at night, and especially buying locally as much as possible (the carbon footprint for shipping is pretty big). Kudos Carol! A very timely subject!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think for most people it's difficult to reduce their carbon footprint past a certain point because most everything you buy or use today is petroleum derived. Natural fabrics, building materials and American labor is sold at a premium. Most communities have sold out their local economies to parasitic big box stores to save a few dollars on hair dryers and plastic storage tubs. The whole suburban model is built on cheap oil. I wonder what going to happen to the value of all those paticle board and stapled together plastic McMansions with 30' foyers when fuel becomes to expensive to heat them.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
I don't care if global warming is real, natural, imagined, or man made. A lot of the things you do by conserving are just good things to do. It makes sense not to live in a wasteful way. You can often save yourself money, and put your efforts into living more simply, and find a more meaningful existence in doing so. Buying locally supports people in your own community. You can build relationships with the people you buy from instead of dealing with a faceless conglomerate.

Conserving saves your energy bill. Recycling reduces your garbage bill. Growing your own food is healthy, a good physical activity, and reduces your grocery bill. Driving less or ride-sharing or having a more economical car reduces your gas bill.

If it takes global warming, real or not, to make people think about how they live and make changes for the better, then it's a good thing. The scientists can continue studying and debating the causes. We still benefit. We don't have to go overboard and give up things we love, like Airstreaming. However other changes ion everyday life can offset the splurge of our favorite hobby.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well said. Whether it is a couple of extra dollars in our pocket, an effort to hold down increasing demand or a choice of conservation, it never hurts to be aware of what one is spending, money or resources...not too many today would say those are unlimited.

photography
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I don't care if global warming is real, natural, imagined, or man made. A lot of the things you do by conserving are just good things to do. It makes sense not to live in a wasteful way. You can often save yourself money, and put your efforts into living more simply, and find a more meaningful existence in doing so. Buying locally supports people in your own community. You can build relationships with the people you buy from instead of dealing with a faceless conglomerate.

Conserving saves your energy bill. Recycling reduces your garbage bill. Growing your own food is healthy, a good physical activity, and reduces your grocery bill. Driving less or ride-sharing or having a more economical car reduces your gas bill.

If it takes global warming, real or not, to make people think about how they live and make changes for the better, then it's a good thing. The scientists can continue studying and debating the causes. We still benefit. We don't have to go overboard and give up things we love, like Airstreaming. However other changes ion everyday life can offset the splurge of our favorite hobby.

Couldn't have said it better myself