Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
They invest the money in "green" projects - renewable energy and the like. It helps build the infrastructure that will let people have better choices in the energy they use.
Maybe.
"They" haven't built any nuke plants in a long time.
Dave

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I'm getting ready to go do some painting on my Argosy with aerosol cans so don't flame me to much or kabloooie, big carbon footprint.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
Old 11-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
What - no vapor recovery spray booth?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
I came in at 17.25. The caluculator leaves a lot of information out, so it does not really hold water. Doesn't ask what your fuel mileage is, for example, or ask if your electricity comes from a nuclear plant. To many assumptions to be accurate.
well, it asks for your specific year/make/model of car...I imagine they must be taking the mpg info from that. I thought it was more or less impossible to calculate exactly "where" your electricity is coming from...its all just pumped into "the grid", and they do know what percentages come from the various sources, so it should all average out. (They do ask where you live).

I was going to say that they don't account for people who burn biomass (wood/pellets/etc), or have their own solar....but on second thought, they kinda do; by forming the question as "how much fossil fuel do you buy."

so...it does account for all that. Its just supposed to give you a ball-park idea, anyway.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
<speaking as a moderator> I don't care about political correctness, only about the Community Rules

Quote:
Discussion of politics and religion is permitted only in association with the topic of this forum.
Try not to drag either of those things into this, please

Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
The questions asked for family usage - like how many people in the family, how much energy is used, etc, but then only allowed you to enter one car. So is it family footprint, or single? We have two cars, one very bad mileage that gets used a little (and for towing), and one with very good mileage that gets used a lot.

Either way, mine came out to 6.6, so I guess I should go take a long pointless drive in the van just to even things up a bit

Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Well that was news to me. I had no idear...DOH But then you say tomatoe and I say tomata. It was more a curiosity of our cumulative usage. I should have simply posted a poll of how many gallons of gasoline/diesel did you use for travel with your Airstream in the past 12 months. It's too bad we can't channel collective bargaining power into discounts at the pump.

photography
Old 11-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Well that was news to me. I had no idear...DOH But then you say tomatoe and I say tomata. It was more a curiosity of our cumulative usage. I should have simply posted a poll of how many gallons of gasoline/diesel did you use for travel with your Airstream in the past 12 months. It's too bad we can't channel collective bargaining power into discounts at the pump.

Now that would be nice and I say mater. I wasn't so much replying to your post as others, nothing wrong with curiosity especially if you have 9 lives.

Heinlein
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
I was once told by a fellow airstreamer and AirForums member, that the only way to really erase your carbon footprint is to become compost yourself.

I'm not ready to go that route.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

I need to buy some credits!

Number is pretty high. Since my wife and I both drive Ford 7.3 diesels, totaling about 45K miles a year, I fly all over the country for my job many times a year, we burn oil heat(hot water radiator), have 4 Airstreams, 7 vintage cars, burn wood in the fireplace, there is no hope for me. I can only hope I can also the "carbon offsets" like Al Gore. I'm sure he has to fly more than I do, own as many cars, and even a few more houses (I own one). I wonder if he would let me fly with him in his private jet? I have to fly coach , if I'm lucky I get a bump to first class. I wonder if he has to pay for the "snack box" on his plane? I bet he also gets free booze! It's just not fair.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #25
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Ecological criminal

I am an average 8.6 if I claim credit for half our driving. Since my wife and I carpool, I am an above average 12 if I claim all the mileage.

I have 3 old gas and diesel vehicles that are not listed in the thing. So, I get a free pass on those, even after removing emissions systems on the gas engines.

We have friends who recently bought a new VW rabbit and paid $17 to purchase offsetting carbon credits. Their conscience is clear. All they really needed to do was buy an old vehicle. Much cheaper overall.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Old 11-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #26
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt

In the end, I still have to drive to work and back, to the store and back, etc.

That's the thing. We choose to live in a place where we don't have to. I have not always been a regular bicycle commuter, but I've only lived in one place where I could not walk or ride to work since the mid 80's.

I moved.

We're not great about it, but I try to do as many of my little store errands on foot or bike as I can (120 lb of peat moss? no prob!).
I'm absolutely dumbfounded that we as a civilization allow zoned communities on busy four lane roads... that we put up schools where one must drive or bus ... that we continue to put up X-marts in flood plains (Bwahaha, you guys downstream will have to swim for it!)... that we have neighborhood associations that prohibit gardens or composting. It's just nuts.

No, I would not describe myself as an environmentalist, heck, "Top Gear" is one of my favorites. But it seems good to me to be a little frugal with some of our fungibles.

And while I'm sort of on the fence about the whole EV thing, this could push me over:

Bugeye Sprite - E.V. Conversion
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
That's the thing. We choose to live in a place where we don't have to. I have not always been a regular bicycle commuter, but I've only lived in one place where I could not walk or ride to work since the mid 80's.

I moved.

We're not great about it, but I try to do as many of my little store errands on foot or bike as I can (120 lb of peat moss? no prob!).
I'm absolutely dumbfounded that we as a civilization allow zoned communities on busy four lane roads... that we put up schools where one must drive or bus ... that we continue to put up X-marts in flood plains (Bwahaha, you guys downstream will have to swim for it!)... that we have neighborhood associations that prohibit gardens or composting. It's just nuts.

No, I would not describe myself as an environmentalist, heck, "Top Gear" is one of my favorites. But it seems good to me to be a little frugal with some of our fungibles.

And while I'm sort of on the fence about the whole EV thing, this could push me over:

Bugeye Sprite - E.V. Conversion
What kind of power plant is producing the electricity to charge those batteries, which with that range prolly would have to be charged every day. How much would your utility bill go up having to charge those batteries every day? What is the environmental impact of disposing of those batteries when they go bad and need changing. Lots of variables to look at.

I'm more interested in biodiesel, running on old used cooking oil/grease.

Heinlein
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #28

1968 17' Caravel
I would love an EV, especially a convertible! Can you imagine zipping through the woods with just the sound of your tires on the pavement, hearing the birds chirping and the leaves rustle in the wind? But they are just not practical yet. The range is too small, and finding a place to plug in is non-existent. Then you have the enviromental guilt of all those batteries. But I'm sure all these things will be overcome someday.

I live where I have to drive into town to get stuff, but I try to control the urge to run into town for one little thing, and do everything in one trip. And I am lucky enough to work at home, so I save all that commuting milage. I wouldn't trade living in the country for anything. They have been talking about doing a rails-to-trails conversion on the unused RR tracks that run right by my house, and if they do then I'll be able to bike into town for stuff. I really hope that happens before I'm too old to bike! Changes happen too slow around here!

Oh, and Top Gear is one of my favorites too!

Closed Thread