Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Bye Bye Earthbound

Just saw this on another forum. I thought these guys had something going. Apparently I was wrong.

Earthbound RV Closes Up, Will Auction Assets | RV Business
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had looked at the Earthbound at dealers on two occasions in the last couple of years. We were fairly impressed with the fit and finish. We also liked the concept and design. It was really nice to see a travel trailer somewhere between an Airstream and a low end econobox.

We, too, are sorry to hear of their demise.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

raleigh , California
I did own an Earthbound for 6 months and can assure you that it good to hear these crooks are out of business. Only feel sorry for the people who lost their job.
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I looked at one at last years RV show and was impressed with what I saw. I did not like the floorplan of the one on display. I was looking forward to the next show in hopes I might see more offerings.

Was your issue with the trailer or the dealer or both?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCstreamer View Post
I did own an Earthbound for 6 months and can assure you that it good to hear these crooks are out of business. Only feel sorry for the people who lost their job.
Care to elaborate on what makes you call them crooks?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I came close to consider traveling to a dealership out of state to look at one of these. Problem was a combination of lack of orders and quality control. From what I read, warranty work seemed to require a trip back to the factory in many cases. With small work force they couldn't build trailers and take care of warranty repairs. Some owners found that it took months (sometimes the entire summer) to get the warranty work done, even though they dropped the trailer off at the factory.

Unfortunately these folks started up when the economy went south. Most RV dealers were unwilling to buy these units in bad economic times with no guarantee of whether the RV public would buy them.

There are about 160 of these trailers built and unlike the standard travel trailer, the construction techniques and materials used are not universal. The folks owning them are really between a rock and a hard place since no one probably will be able to replace many of the components. Repairs will be haphazard since anyone working on them will be guessing or will be learning as they go.

Attempting to do a start up on a unique product like this is full of risk. You almost wonder if Airstream was a startup company in this economy would have ever made a go of it.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream started up in the Great Depression and has weathered the economy ever since.

I feel sympathy for those who were snagged by the hype, among them friends of ours who looked at our Airstream but thought these were better in every way. They have had trouble and difficulty getting them fixed.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I am suspicious of any RV/trailer start-up company that champions the environmental movement. Why? At first blush it strikes me as being misleading and explotive. Is there such a thing as an "environmentally friendly" trailer when it is pulled by a gas guzzler? It's an oxymoron. "Earthbound" was preaching to the non-converted. A true environmentalist would find the concept laughable. Most RVers/trailerites are indifferent - for the most part.

It's better to face that truth and try to do the best with what you have as a manufacturer and RVer/trailerite.

I am genuinely sorry that people have lost their job, and a community which is already struggling in the midst of an underwhelmed economy has to recover what they can.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The auction is January 15th. I was temped in going but may not be worth taking the day off of work. They owe the city of Marion 2 million dollars, and now the city of Marion is hurting badly. They took a gamble and sadly lost.

Key Auctioneers*|* Auction Detail

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Airstream Has Had Its Ups and Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Airstream started up in the Great Depression and has weathered the economy ever since.

doug k
Airstream went bust in the late 60s or early 70s and sold out to Beatrice Foods.
Later Airstream employees were able to buy themselves back from Beatrice.
More recently, Airstream sold out to Thor.
Not sure of the details and nuance in these occurrences, but both were driven by hard times not good times.

Perhaps others know the history.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I am suspicious of any RV/trailer start-up company that champions the environmental movement. Why? At first blush it strikes me as being misleading and explotive. Is there such a thing as an "environmentally friendly" trailer when it is pulled by a gas guzzler? It's an oxymoron. "Earthbound" was preaching to the non-converted. A true environmentalist would find the concept laughable. Most RVers/trailerites are indifferent - for the most part.
This is so true at so many levels. Thanks!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:

It's better to face that truth and try to do the best with what you have as a manufacturer and RVer/trailerite.
Looking beyond cynicism, I guess "try to do the best you can with what you have as a manufacturer" can involve different corporate choices.

- You can build an aerodynamic trailer that saves fuel when you tow it.
- You can try and save weight.
- You can use "green" building practices, like zero-landfill policies.
- You can use materials that don't off-gas - our eyes burn when we spend a sunny day touring RVs at a big show.

Sure, it would be silly to make "green" the primary marketing pitch, but Earthbound was also pitching style and innovation. Airstream makes a big deal of their "greenness" in their brochures, although they probably haven't substantially changed their process in years.

It seems that Earthbound was undercapitalized and launched at a bad time. I looked at various trailers they built - some were nice while others didn't improve on Airstream QC. Their final business plan - custom-order only, around $85k and up - seemed pretty unlikely from the get-go. (Too bad, because it included a nice 23' floor plan.)

Got to say, one of the reasons I got the AS is because many of the panels could be crafted by a skilled restoration shop - and there's enough trailers out there to find the formed end caps and windows, if need be.

I'm sad that Earthbound went under - I'm all for having more competition in the high-end "performance" trailer market. There's not much out there. Casita doesn't play there, Trailmanor doesn't build hard-side trailers anymore, Bigfoot is basically a regional brand now, but I guess the Evergreen Element can neatly slide into the spot where Earthbound left behind. And the Element seems to be more successful...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Airstream makes a big deal of their "greenness" in their brochures, although they probably haven't substantially changed their process in years.
The difference being Airstream embraced some practical engineering aspects which are considered "green" today. Long before it became fashionable to ride the coat-tails of environmentalism.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
If I actually gave a crap about "green" manufacturing, I would have purchased a windmill instead.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
The difference being Airstream embraced some practical engineering aspects which are considered "green" today. Long before it became fashionable to ride the coat-tails of environmentalism.
Earthbound embraced "practical" engineering aspects too. No wood products in the structure, about 700 pounds lighter than a comparable 25' AS trailer, aerodynamic exterior. From what I've been told, they tow fairly well too - better than the average white box.

My take is that Earthbound, stuck with trying to publicize a new expensive product in a down market, found a marketing angle that had broader appeal. It's easier to market "green" than "aerodynamic lightweight trailer that has nothing to rot inside."

Tom
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I don't think Evergreen is making the Element anymore.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks for that mention subfan1. Yep - Element seems to be "dealer stock only." Maybe AS is the only company that can manage to ask over $40k for a non-5th wheel.

Makes me wonder how the $33k Safari Alto Condo super-pop-up (which I kind of adore, with visions of towing it behind a new Forester) keeps going...

Tom
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Makes me wonder how the $33k Safari Alto Condo super-pop-up (which I kind of adore, with visions of towing it behind a new Forester) keeps going...

Tom
Why did you show me that?! Now I want one...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Must have paid for their website in advanced, it is still up.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
If you read the article about the corporation's demise, the couple that was behind this enterprise also lost their two homes - they were apparently 'all-in'...

You've got to admire them (warranty problems not withstanding) for trying to bring their unique product to market, going for broke, as it were...

To bad they weren't making automobiles, solar panels, or blown away by a storm, as they might have been bailed out by taxpayers...