Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I looked at an Earthbound on a dealer's lot and wasn't very excited about it. I liked the idea of it, but the layout wasn't to my liking- a HUGE bathroom and no sofa in a 25' model. The model had loose hinges on cabinets and a thought the lighting fixtures were ugly. IIRC, the A-frame seemed awfully light weight and the ground clearance didn't look good. And the windows were double pane, but a cheesy plastic. Again, IIRC.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
They seem to have had a problem with ethics. I would hate to think what kind of customer service they would of had if they had not folded.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
They seem to have had a problem with ethics. I would hate to think what kind of customer service they would of had if they had not folded.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if their customer service has improved since they closed.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Laughed at the outrageousness of the Airstream comparison in their video. What they did is dangerous - insult the intelligence of the consumer.

Earthbound: hmmmmm.....sometimes the irony will bite you in the azz....or make it very hot. (See .56 in the YTube clip below).

So, take this, Earthbound....
very funny Video Clips Of Early Flight Attempts - YouTube
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Under the Earth Bound seems more appropriate. A fitting end.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Under the Earth Bound seems more appropriate. A fitting end.
Boy, you sure buried 'em with that remark. That video was dirty play - no doubt about it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
When we went to the AS dealer to choose a trailer, we began to have second thoughts based on "sticker shock." So there in the lot was the Earthbound trailer. Frankly, on the outside, it looked great. It had a contemporary techy look that appealed to me. And the price was half of the AS. "Ok," sez I, "before we sign for the Airstream, let's at least take a look at this thing here."

But from the opening of the door - and just one peek - I knew it wasn't anything that would satisfy my years of dreams about traveling space ships. I do realize everyone has different tastes, but I could only call this boring and uninspiring. Felt like my first walk through a 1976 double wide. We did step in, and sniff around a bit, but the color was gone from my wife's face, and we exited curbside as quickly as politely possible.

On the technical side, is 700 pounds really a big deal in a 25 or 27 foot trailer? I dunno, maybe. As far as a manufacturer's claim about being green, I put this claims up there with food company claims such as "all natural." But it was like two entirely different teams had designed it. George Jetson was in charge of the outside, while Harriet Nelson took over inside. I just didn't get it as a revolution.

Needless to say, we drive away the next morning in the Flying Cloud Dream Machine. Not a single regret. The trailer is becoming a central figure in our life. It's more important than our ranch house.

Like others, I hate to hear of the small people losing jobs. That's sad.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
In retrospect, the "greenest" thing about EB was competitor jealousy.

I also looked at EB and took this picture. Is there anything here that sets it apart from the standard SOB appearance wise? I couldn't see it. As to the material components, I liked the idea of a composite floor, but the over-all unit was still unproven.

I love innovation, the spirit of free enterprise, and good-old-fashioned competition, but Joe/Jane Consumer is sick of corporate dirty tricks. What respect I had for EB dissolved after viewing that video.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #37
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I know you are a 'difficult sell' FLY from your review of that beautiful ' Pepto-Bismol ' motormome I offered to you!

Dave
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
massey, LOL!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
In retrospect, the "greenest" thing about EB was competitor jealousy.

I also looked at EB and took this picture. Is there anything here that sets it apart from the standard SOB appearance wise? I couldn't see it. As to the material components, I liked the idea of a composite floor, but the over-all unit was still unproven.

I love innovation, the spirit of free enterprise, and good-old-fashioned competition, but Joe/Jane Consumer is sick of corporate dirty tricks. What respect I had for EB dissolved after viewing that video.

Hi, the two things that come to my mind are the shiney cabinets and the straight up back rests in all of the seating places. When I first saw one of these at the RV dealer, that was what turned me off on these.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
My wife and I wanted to look at one of these when they were first introduced but couldn't find one on the lot within a reasonable driving distance. Like others here, I was most interested in the idea of no wood. I could care less about the other green aspects.....just would like something that isn 't going to rot. I'm happy now that we never had the chance to look at one. I would probably have purchased it.