Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

By van or Airstream

I own a VW Eurovan as well as a 28 ft Airstream. My first big trip after retirement will be to the west coast via Jasper, Victoria and down the coast and home. I will take this trip June and July. I have towed the Airstream enough to be comfortable with the towing aspect, but am wondering if I may see more and do more driving the van. I know the trailer is a whole lot more comfortable than the van but the van is ok. What do you think?

Old 11-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
As you get older, having a place to be becomes more important. This means setting up camp and then spending time exploring the neighborhood. With only a van, you really can't set up a home base.

The van mode tends towards longer daytime driving. It encourages exploring as a larger part of getting somewhere and longer distance legs in travel.

A TT (or MH with toad) tends to encourage shorter legs and more relaxed exploring from a home base.

A 28' is a good size to be able to enjoy living - as separate from just having a place to put your head at night. That, of course is a matter of personal preference and style but most folks like less hassle as they get older (one reason there seems to be a TT to MH transition ten or twenty years after retirement).

Of course, you could always do both. A Eurovan won't cut it but one of the older Airstream B190's or a BVan based on a full sized van would. see the rig in the photo gallery at http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/de...jn20-or31.html (image http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/de...near-smrlk.jpg)

Comfort has its attractions and that is one of the big pulls towards larger RV's.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Cactus.

We own a 2001 Eurovan and a 19' AS. The Eurovan is the Weekender model, not the full camper version. It does have the pop top.

I don't know which you have and what year. Obviously the best of both worlds would be to to the AS with the EV, but that is quite impossible due to the size of your trailer. We tow our 19' AS with the Euro, for now. And this is only in the mid part of the country where it is more ort less flat.

I wouldn't think of towing out west with our current set up.

Also, is it just one person (you) going on this adventure? It sounds like you'll be out for either one month or two. If you use the van, and asssuming it is either a Weekender or Camper, two should be comfortable, but there are many more things to consider, and set up at each stop.

My wife and I went on a one month driving trip from Chicago in our EV. The bigest hassle was setting up the bed each nite, and inflating mattresses. These also tend to spring leaks. We "lived" in our van for 30 nites. Not bad for two of us close to 50. We had a blast.

All of this trip was total boondocking, and we stayed in some of the most beautiful BLM campgrounds, most which we had to our selves. Showering was outside using a shower bag contraption that we always failed to leave in the sun to warm up. Cold water can sure do strange things to man-hood. Mercifully, only temporarly...

For sheer comfort, maybe the AS is right for you.

Pictures- http://www.levinphotography.com/evtrip/

Let us know what you decide and if you have any ???.

Jonathan
Old 11-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUS
I own a VW Eurovan as well as a 28 ft Airstream. My first big trip after retirement will be to the west coast via Jasper, Victoria and down the coast and home. I will take this trip June and July. I have towed the Airstream enough to be comfortable with the towing aspect, but am wondering if I may see more and do more driving the van. I know the trailer is a whole lot more comfortable than the van but the van is ok. What do you think?
Cactus---We had a Eurovan a few years back and really enjoyed it. It was one of the newer ones then with v6,auto,air,etc. Having had and traveled in a pop-up, 25' class A mh, 16' Airstream, and 25'Airsream since, I have come to the conclusion there is not a "Fits All". The biggest factor one has to consider is what is your traveling style. If stopping for one night or two at the most the VW would work best. If you enjoy settling up for several days or a week and exploring an area the trailer is much nicer. To set up and tear down camp every night towing a trailer is a lot of work in my opinion. The smaller vehicle also gives you more choices of camping places especially in state and Nat. parks as there normally are more small campsites than large. This makes finding campsites when arrving late easier. One other concideration now days is fuel cost $$$$. As you know the VW does very well mileage wise. I would guess the trips fuel expences would be 1/2 with the VW. It's especially neat that you have both to choose from.----Pieman
Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
A Matter of Style

I think you guys hit the nail on the head. Right now I am a mover when I travel and frequent National Parks and wilderness areas. Jonathan, your album brings back memories. We hit those Utah Parks plus the Grand Canyon Flaming Gorge and Sedona all in a two week stretch, and Mt. Rushmore, Hell's Canyon, Yellowstone, Tetons, Columbia River, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier in another two week stretch. I can't imagine covering that much territory pulling a trailer and right now all I get is two weeks at the most to do anything. Looking at your pictures, those new Mercedes diesel Sprinter B vans are starting to look interesting to me as another option.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote