Old 12-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
There may be lots of reason to criticize Florida and that could be debated enough to put us to sleep BUT open spaces is not one of them. The largest cattle ranch in the country is in FLORIDA. Go figure. I can't really say much about Arizona having been there only once. I enjoyed that visit and would like to see more.
You can have my share. I live 45 minutes from FL and I choose to rarely go there.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I took a peek on Google maps and street view of Wilcox in general and the area around the golf course (Twin Lakes) and it's not very appealing. I wouldn't want to invest in land there. You may not be able to get rid of it if it didn't work out for you.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
.................. I wouldn't want to invest in land there. You may not be able to get rid of it if it didn't work out for you.
I think one could say the same, about the ability to get rid of property in a timely manner in any area where seniors retire to or spend winters in mass. Wherever seniors are, there's going to be a large turnover of properties as we "age out". That's something I do not want my children to have to deal with.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHall View Post
Willcox is kind of a road side stop along I-10 in So AZ. There is actually a town there that is somewhat quaint, and there are lots of things to do and see in that part of the state. You are not far from AZ Wine country in the Patagonia, and Sonoita Area, Bisbee, Douglas, and the famous Tombstone. Additionally, it is an easy trip to see the ruins at City of Rocks, NM. Also the Chiricahua National Monument and mountain reserve area is very near. I am a little biased, fell in love with AZ 12 years ago when I moved here.
My folks lived(and my mom is still in Tally) for 50 years, all over FLA. I have also lived and worked in Arizona for a number of years. The bottom line is whether you want the beach and crowds, along with the humidity in Florida or do you want desert solitude, low humidity, and a few dust storms. Both states have their fair share of bugs, but Florida have many more of them and snakes/gaters. Arizona has rattlesnakes but not as many as does Florida. Florida has fire ants and Arizona has some monster scorpions. Florida has raccoons and Arizona has roof rats. I guess I like the versatility that Arizona has with the mountains and the vastness of desert wilderness. Yet, you can go to Bisbee, the White Mountains or Flagstaff and get completely out of the heat of summer. So in the end, it's just what you like the most, beaches/Disneyworld, or the western scene in Arizona; for me, it's Arizona.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I hope reincarnation isn't true...then I'll never have to go back to Disney World again.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you pick FL, I would stay in the pan handle and north of Gainsville. South of Gainsville, FL is too crowded. Central FL around Orlando is the worst. I think there is an Airstream park near Pensacola.

Perry
Old 12-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
There may be lots of reason to criticize Florida and that could be debated enough to put us to sleep BUT open spaces is not one of them. The largest cattle ranch in the country is in FLORIDA. Go figure. I can't really say much about Arizona having been there only once. I enjoyed that visit and would like to see more.

Florida ranches are not even in the running for largest ranch. The definition being used is purposively exclusive.

AZ has no water and is too close to border violence. FL has hurricanes and is too crowded for orderly evacuation.

Rental sounds better to me in both cases.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
If you pick FL, I would stay in the pan handle and north of Gainsville. South of Gainsville, FL is too crowded. Central FL around Orlando is the worst. I think there is an Airstream park near Pensacola.

Perry
Only problem with the panhandle is the weather patterns are not the same as the peninsula. Most west to east storms this year have crossed the top of Fl without bothering central or south. Quite often we see a larger degree difference between the panhandle and Gainesville. I would concur with others that there is less population and crowding N. of Gainesville.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Florida does have it hurricanes, but it also has the great beaches. It is somewhat crowded in the Peninsular, but the Panhandle is still pretty wide open. Evacuation is easy from the Panhandle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Also real estate prices in FL are pretty good. FL has not recovered and my parents can't sell their house which is on a Lake in Mt Dora. Investment wise FL would probably be better but if you want to get rid of property it is a pain. It is a buyer's market. There are not many places in FL that I would want to live.

Perry
Old 12-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
I know Florida is considered Crowded and along the coast and Orlando certainly are.We moved to Naples in 72 but it is way too crowded for us these days interior south Florida has lots of open space,we live in a small subdivision where there are three canals and four streets the longest street is about a city block long,its a great place to keep a boat,fresh water,no tides,good access to the gulf or the Atlantic and far enough inland that most hurricanes are not a big threat. We are surrounded by orange groves and cattle ranches taxes are low. To get a loaf of bread is about a 40 min round trip so remote enough for me. Use Google earth to see what the real rural Florida looks like.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Buying land in AZ or FL.

There will be virtually no border violence in Wilcox. The climate is quite a bit cooler than Tucson or Phoenix due to its elevation.

Wilcox was a ranching/farming town that has suffered as many rural areas have suffered due to the ever increasing mechanization of farming and the boom/bust cycles of regional agriculture.

It is largely a quiet town, except for I-10 running down its center, with an aging population.

It isn't a pretty town as beauty is commonly accessed, but It is nice in its own way.

More classically attractive towns in the general area will include Bisbee and Sierra Vista. Tombstone is even prospering a bit as of late.

If I was looking, Bisbee or Tombstone would catch my eye as a spot for a retirement getaway. But, property should be quite a bit less in Wilcox and surrounding areas, where bare land might be had for as little as $200 an acre.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
You don't need to own property in Florida to be domiciled in Florida. The three most popular states chosen by fulltimers for domicile are Florida, Texas and South Dakota. Here is a link to a thread on the Escapees forum about Domicile - Graduating to Fulltime - Escapees Discussion Forum.

There are many factors that go into choosing a state to domicile in. Do a search on the various forums for domicile and you will get a ton of information. Become knowledgeable before choosing a state to domicile in.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I grew up in Florida. Moved away in the late 60's. I live in California now. Probably won't return to Florida permanently because of the weather...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote