Old 10-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Buy your Airstream with the idea of Selling It...

Yep. I said it.

Had I my way, ordering from the factory, sight unseen, my next 'Boondocking Airstream':

- No televisions.
- No microwave.
- 16" wheels and Michelin LTs
- Flying Cloud cloth interior.
- A radio antenna that can gather an AM signal outside of a City.
- A radio without the 'light show' if you turn the batteries to store and then resets to on.
- Solar with Lithium batteries as standard.
- Awnings on BOTH sides of the trailer.
- 23 footer coming STANDARD with 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires.
- No carpet anywhere on the floors, nor 'mouse fur' on the walls.
- A 'queen sized' bed up front.
(Some of these are 'fictional options' as they would be after market installations, anyways.)

For resale, good luck.

- No television(s)... first out
- No microwave... 3 balls, 2 stikes
- Cloth seating versus fake Leatherette... second out.
- Not having the double bed up front and have the small bed in back... third out.

Most Newbies would not even understand or notice many of the upgrades, but would notice the television(s), microwave, interior fabrics and a bed other than the queen versus the early mini bed, stuffed barely into the back of an older 23 foot Safari.

Yes. Getting some of the options you really do not want on a 'loaded' on the lot trailer may get to you when seeing the 'option costs', but when you go to sell, keep in mind most buyers WANT what you may NOT WANT.

Lost all of the OPTIONS you would not want, reduce the list price by 17% - 20%, and those items you do not need and see what the number crunchers come up with on a Dealer's Lot. After a trailer sits on the lot for a period of time, it does soften up the negotiating to a point you feel better after the purchase.

Buy with the idea of SELLING as, in my example, few people would find my Spartan Tastes appealing on a purchase.

Otherwise... BUY USED, watch TelevisonS, use the microwave, put seat covers over the fake leather seating to keep them clean and mouse fur... vacuum when dusty. Let the previous owner take the financial hit... they, no doubt, can afford to lose money on an immediate depreciated asset.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I wouldn't mind the cloth interior. As long as it was good upholstery fabric. Sunbrella makes outdoor upholstery fabric.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Removing both TVs and a microwave takes very little out of the cost. Adding solar and lithium batteries adds a LOT to the cost! I think your ideal unit would cost more, not less.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Takin the TV's outta mine sure did make it seem a lot bigger. I could probly resell it as a 25'+ cause without the TVs there's at least a foot more useable space, ha!

Mine came with no microwave, awnings on both sides, no carpet or rat fur anywhere, and a queen sized bed up front. It's does have fake leather. I like it. Easier to clean than cloth.

But resale value ain't somethin I think about too much. I didn't buy it as a money investment, I bought it as a happiness investment. It's already paid for itself in that regard!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Two tv's and a microwave cost less than $450 at any box store.
Solar panels are thousands.
AGM batteries are at least $500, lithiums more than that.
16" tires are the better part of a grand, no matter what trailer they go under.
The current crop of radios, other than the Sport models, do not have a light show when off.
And again, a radio is $100 for a decent one almost anywhere.
Awnings are good, no matter who you are, and what trailer they are on.
So, for $600, how much more are you spending on all the other things? If you want it for you, great. Just don't expect anybody else to want what you ordered. What that means in English is, all that extra stuff you paid extra money for, will probably make the trailer worth less to the next buyer. I bought a pickup truck that normally came stock with a lot of options. Those options were left off at build time, with an upcharge of $2000 to leave them off. When I bought the truck used, I paid much, much less than the truck would have cost me, had it had all the normal stuff in it. So, pay more to buy, get less when you sell.