Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Now what will NASCAR do when the BIG 3 car maker are gone?
Race toyota's and Honda's?

Actually Toyota has built such a great car NASCAR change the rules again so Toyota had to rebuild it.... It would have one everything... Their engine was that good...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
The bicycle industry is a prime example of why "buying American" continues to be a complicated proposition. The Trek bicycle company started in a barn in Waterloo, WI (near Madison) in 1976. They built bicycles there for many years. Their high-end frames continue to be built there, but the bulk of their consumer-grade bikes are built in China using parts from Japan and the U.S. Who knows where the aluminum and steel they're built of is produced.

I'm a huge Trek fan; we have four Trek bikes, and only one of them was actually built in Waterloo, WI. One has a frame built in China, and two have Japanese-built frames.

I also have two Burley recumbents, built by the Burley Design Cooperative (when it was still a co-op) in Eugene, OR. Burley is a perfect model of how off-shore competition hurts U.S. business. Burley "went under" as a design cooperative (partially because of cheap off-shore imports), and were sold to a private investor who is concentrating on bringing the company back into profitability with bicycle trailers as their ownly product after a number of years of high-quality and innovative bicycle design and production. Even though the frames were built in Eugene, they also used Japanese (Shimano) & SRAM components and German tires imported through Canada. SRAM, by the way, is headquartered in Chicago, but they have corporate offices in The Netherlands and Taiwan, and at least some of their parts are manufactured off-shore.

Roger
I raced mountain bikes for a while back in 2000-2003 when I went back to college.... What was I thinking I was 29....

Most frames are made in Twain in the same factory... But like you say, some of the High end ones are still built in the Good old USA... I ride Specialized and love em....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Actually Toyota has built such a great car NASCAR change the rules again so Toyota had to rebuild it.... It would have one everything... Their engine was that good...
Hi, but did Toyota use a pushrod engine designed and used in factory production cars from the 50's or 60's? No! Not to mention that a few Toyota teams were caught cheating to compete with Ford, Chevrolet, and Chrysler. The latest was acid dipped sheet metal to lighten their cars. The first two times was Michael Waltrip's Toyota.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Cooper custom trailer plus tire

Just got thie email today from Cooper tire.

"Yes we still manufacture the Custom Trailer Plus ST225/75R15 here in the USA"
Pam
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Just got thie email today from Cooper tire.

"Yes we still manufacture the Custom Trailer Plus ST225/75R15 here in the USA"
Pam
That would be enough for me to spend the extra $$ to try this tire out. I have Coopers on 3 of my 4 vehicles and all have done well. All of our fleet trucks/cars (100 +/- vehicles) at work run Cooper tires when the OE tires wear out.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Time and place for everything...that was then, this is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Going off topic re: the auto industry. My point is buying locally, everything.

We buy our eggs from farmers, not supermarkets. Eggs used to have high calcium content, which we need as we age. Not so with mass marketed.

We buy fruits and vegetables and all our meat from local vendors.
My taste buds are jumping for joy!!!

Support your own community, it will improve both the economy and your health.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Here's your chance to buy American!

My US flag was looking a little rough yesterday. I went to the local VFW and purchased a new 3x5 for my yard flag pole. (I didn't want a rough flag for the big day tomorrow!). Most VFWs will take in tired flags and dispose of them in a ceremonial manner usually w/ the help of local Boy Scouts. I left my tired flag w/ them as I have done for years.

That two hour period is the only time that my flag is not flown--day or night! Maybe I ought to get another so the pole would not look so forlorn.

Anyhow, after hoisting a brand new flag, I saluted the flag and saluted the branches of the military w/ several fingers of good tequila.

The point of all this is that I noticed on the box that the flag was made by Annin & Company, Roseland, New Jersey. They have several plants but none overseas. They have been around since the 1820's.

So there you go, folks, an American made product! Go buy a new one from your local VFW and fly it in your yard!

Happy Veteran's Day to all!
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I bought an American made mailbox on Saturday. So don't say I've never done anything to help your economy!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What the heck is really going on? 700,000 children going hungry in America and numbers rising! Never mind cars what can we do to feed our own country?

Some 691,000 children went hungry in America sometime in 2007, while close to one in eight Americans struggled to feed themselves adequately even before this year’s sharp economic downturn, the Agriculture Department reported Monday.
The department’s annual report on food security showed that during 2007 the number of children who suffered a substantial disruption in the amount of food they typically eat was more than double the 430,000 in 2006 and the largest figure since 716,000 in 1998.
Overall, the 36.2 million adults and children who struggled with hunger during the year was up slightly from 35.5 million in 2006. That was 12.2 percent of Americans who didn’t have the money or assistance to get enough food to maintain active, healthy lives.
More American kids went hungry last year - Diet and nutrition

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
"Anyhow, after hoisting a brand new flag, I saluted the flag and saluted the branches of the military w/ several fingers of good tequila."

Somehow I find it ironic that you toasted the flag with Tequila. Where was the tequila made? How far do we go with this? I would think that some Jack Daniels may have been a better choice!

NUTZ
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumanutz View Post
"Anyhow, after hoisting a brand new flag, I saluted the flag and saluted the branches of the military w/ several fingers of good tequila."

Somehow I find it ironic that you toasted the flag with Tequila. Where was the tequila made? How far do we go with this? I would think that some Jack Daniels may have been a better choice! NUTZ
Well, good point, Nutz! My point was that we can all stand around and drink whatever we want to drink under that particular flag. Some folks w/out that flag cannot.

This tequila, like any good tequila, was made near the town of Tequila which is in the Mexican state of Jalisco.

In the interests of good fellowship, invite me over and I'll help you drink your Jack Daniels.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #55

1975 21' Globetrotter
caledonia , ontario
I would say at the very least, if it is assembled in North America and I have a choice of the two, buy the one that was assembled in North America. If it is a North American company and assmebled in Noth America, then buy that one.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Larry, glad I did not pi** you off. It was not intended too. I was trying to make a point about buying American and how difficult that could be. Now they want us to bail out the "Big Three" because of the potential job loss. Last time I got under the dash of my 2000 GMC Sierra, I saw several "Made in Mexico" or "Assembled in Canada" stickers. Why should we give more money to people that have already run a business into the ground? Of course, they had a lot of help from the union. Right now, if these guys get laid off they still collect almost 95% of their wages for doing nothing. I'm sorry, you can't pay a person 20-30 bucks an hour to screw on tail lights or sweep the floor and stay competitive. Lets fire anyone making over 200,000 a year and then bail them out! Ok , I will get off my soapbox now, and anytime you would like to come to California, I will gladly buy you your very own bottle of Jack. I am a beer drinker personally. Sierra Nevada, Plant is 6 miles from my house!!

NUTZ