Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bucket List Help/Washington DC Area

Angels needed.

An acquaintence of mine and a dear friend of my sister Karen, Brenda Newport, has cancer and is doing her "bucket list" with her children. She is a sweet woman who has been a midwife for many years and has had 9 children herself. She's a born-again Christian, but you'll never know it unless you're interested and ask. She's home schooled her kids and they are all just outstanding individuals. There are still four at home ranging from 17 to 8. Her house is cleaner than mine or Karen's.

My kid sister Karen is giving Brenda and the four kids a week in her timeshare at Williamsburg Virginia this fall, but the four kids all want to see Washington DC. Of course any hotel/motel in DC itself will want them to have two rooms which would cost over $300 per night. Just not doable for them even if Karen and I help. This trip is planned for late September or early October.

Brenda walks with a cane, but will generally use a wheelchair when touring museums so that she has enough stamina to allow her kids to enjoy themselves rather than have to worry about her.

So can anyone help? I wouldn't ask anyone to lend their Airstream, even though the kids are great, they might not understand the systems and could inadvertently cause damage.

If you know of a motel in any of the outlying areas like Alexandria or Arlington that is right on the metro line that might be more affordable, please let me or my sister know. Of course a campground would be fine too, if they have cabins or rental units, but it would have to be inexpensive (yeah I know it's hard in the DC area.) It would also be great if someone could meet her and show her where the metro stations are - or how to get to the Pentagon and take the metro in from there.

If you happen to have any timeshare that you're not using in the DC area and would be willing to donate, it would be great, or if you have a "mother-in-law suite" or other guest quarters that you'd be willing to let them use for 3-4 days that would be beyond wonderful.

I'll forward my responses to my "silver sister" Karen (she wants an Airstream, but for now has to be content to visit mine).

Thank you all, Paula
Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
I'm willing to help....!

Paula -

I live right outside DC in the Falls Church area. I am willing to put your family up here (need to co-ordinate the dates) and we have kids so there is more than a little bit of stuff we know to do with kids in the area. There would be no cost to anyone - friends help friends right?

Let me know the details of the trip, the time frames and lets get this done.

Having had a young son (7 at the time) have a serious fight for his life cancer, I KNOW the power of LOVE and CARING. If I can have ANY part of passing ON all that my son AND our family received, then that is enough for me.

Please contact me on email at factor8man@yahoo.com and lets get the details squared..... It's the least I can do.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Axel,
First thing this morning and I am completely humbled by your servant's heart! Wow, what a generous offer!!

Paula,
Thank you so much for loving your "neighbor"!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
How about opening up a bank account where we can all send a few bucks to and help these folks have a memorable trip to DC?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Wow. Thank You!

Axel, that would be beyond great! I called Karen and made her read the thread without giving her a hint. She's blubbering and I'm more than a bit misty too.

Karen asked me to give out her e-mail. It's kikrek@neo.rr.com

We're a bit up in the air about dates as of this moment. Brenda has one more mother who is due on September 23. After that, she'll consider herself to be retired. Karen is qualified to assist Brenda if needed.

Karen is planning on scheduling Brenda into the timeshare in Williamsburg either October 3 - 9 or Oct 10 - 16. Of course it depends a bit on the last mom's delivery. Timeshares in Williamsburg are very easy to get into in October so we can work around your best days, Axel. (You're gonna put them in the house and camp in the Airstream aren't you?) I'll bet the kids want to see the Air and Space Museum! I've never met anyone under the age of 100 who didn't enjoy it.

I'm about an hour away from Williamsburg in Virginia Beach, so I'm planning to take the kids to the beach at least one day, and getting everyone passes to Colonial Williamsburg.

Karen lives within 10 minutes of Brenda and isn't working full time so she's making most of the arrangements. However, tomorrow she's heading to "Pennsic" for two weeks. www.pennsic.net if you're curious. It's a medieval war game that lasts for two weeks. The loser gets Pittsburgh?! Yeah they're doing the whole wool tights, chain mail and armour thing. She'll be internet deprived until August 8, but will have her cell phone so I can call her with updates.

Centennialman - good suggestion re: the account. They have a little money, but very little. Brenda's husband is staying home and working so that Brenda and the kids can do this. Any modest amounts would help. The kids have been home schooled so part of the trip is to see museums, etc. for academic credit. Most places charge some admission, and Williamsburg itself is a bit pricey, but I can do that for them.

Karen said she'll do the bank account when she gets back if I can't find a way to get it done first. We're thinking Chase Bank would be good... there are branches in Ohio, but I don't know if there are any here locally.

I've got customers waiting so I've got to go for now. Thank you and bless you both from the bottom of my heart.:inn ocent:

Paula
Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump
Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Any ideas on how much money would be needed for dad to go too?
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
The Smithsonian Museums and all of the Gov't sites are free! You can make on-line reservations to expedite and avoid long lines at a lot of the popular sites. The Holocaust Museum is the most popular and you can reserve an entry time. Call your state rep and senator ASAP to get tickets for the capitol building and chambers.
Check out special rules for 'handicap' visitors. They might be able to get preferential entry and avoid the lines.
There is a lot of walking involved with a DC visit. Make sure you friend carefully plans her route and prioritizes the sites she wants to see.
This will be a great experience for her to share with her family before her homecoming with the Lord.
We are a Christian home school family as well so I am familiar with the importance they will place on visiting our nation's capitol and viewing our founding documents.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
To McAir & Birdsnest

I have no idea what Brenda's husband makes per week, but a good guess would be $600 so two weeks of course would be $1200. I have an appointment with my bank manager monday to find out about starting a bank account. There are BB&T branches in the DC area so she could pick up the funds there.

Birdsnest, thank you for that information. I'll forward it to Brenda right away.

Paula
Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Yea, I'm with mcair, it would be great for dad to be there also.

What about renting Brenda an electric-mobile to get around on?

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Angels in Airstreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Yea, I'm with mcair, it would be great for dad to be there also.

What about renting Brenda an electric-mobile to get around on?

Godspeed,
Trent

Brenda has a car - or my sister may lend her a newer one (or even drive her as she can stay with me.) She has a wheelchair and the kids willingly push her anywhere. I've sent her the skinny about getting into museums around DC. I'll call Karen tomorrow morning and update her. She's at Pennsic.

Paula
Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump
Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
We'll have a bank account for you by tomorrow.

Paula
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Hi All,
Paula's "little" sister here. I had to make a town run from my time travel at the Pennsic War and saw all that is being offered to Brenda and her family. Airstreamers ROCK! I'm all crying and blubbering!
Thank you isn't enough but it's all I have so Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
May your blessings to my friend come back to you a bazillion times,
Karen (aka Lady Prudence Bleakney)
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paula, just saw this thread. I like 40 minutes from Dc and if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is an amazing, wonderful and generous group. We're in for some $$, please keep the Forums posted on that bank account. Paula, have you thought about contacting the hospice units in the Williamsburg and DC area to see if they can provide any assistance with wheelchairs and the like? May require a referral from Brenda's physician.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Bank Account - just snail mail a check

Brenda Newport - contributions for her DC & Williamsburg trip may be made to the following account. I did not tell her that anyone had even suggested getting together enough for her husband to take off work and travel with her. If anything close to that much can be raised, I'll fill in the rest and it will be a wonderful surprise. If we're too short, it will at least let her kids have great memories of this trip. Brenda is not active on the internet so hopefully she'll be pretty surprised.

I actually got Brenda to set up the account at her local branch so there wouldn't be any logistical issues of her proving the money should go to her - she thinks we're just getting her some gas money, and a bit to pay admissions to museums, etc.
"Brenda's Bucket List"
Care of Ann Wyant, branch manager
Charter One
2495 Easton St. NE OHB665
Canton, OH 44721

If you wish to call the bank, the number is (330) 492-7166
I didn't ask, but they might take charge cards or wire transfers.
Bless you all for your interest and caring. I'm so grateful to you all.

You ROCK,

Paula
Old 07-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump

Just trying to keep this active so Brenda has the best time possible.

Karma to everyone for caring!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump
Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Angels in the Air-Field

I just called the bank. More than one check already received. Don't have the balance so far - the manager is out - but we may have a very nice surprise for Brenda.

Every bit helps. Believe me she'll squeeze the most value for her kids out of your contributions. Now going to add mine to the pot.

Bless us all every one! Paula