Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Breakdown

Passing thru Conway, AR 8/25 saw an AS on a flatbead with one wheel removed, NJ plates. Not the way you like to see an Airstream travel, hope someone didn't get their trip interrupted with a long delay and unexpected repair bills.
Lucky I have never had an on the highway breakdown I couldn't fix enough to limp home and repair.
Might make a good poll, ever have on highway breakdown ?

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
A couple. The only one towing was when I was a "Helper" I worked for a flooring company and we picked up a job from Sprint Long distance to retile all their Microwave tower radio huts between Atlanta and Houston TX and Atlanta and Dallas TX. We worked round the clock. There was 5 of us and we would work till we got one Hut done and move to another and one or two would sack out in the camper on rotation to catch a few hours of sleep.

The camper was a little 20ft SOB. The tow vehicle was a Ford one ton work van with a 460. The problem was we have to have all the supplies with us and haul all the trash. Each hut needed about eight 60lb boxes of tile we did 14 towers the one strech. So we left Atlanta with 6,720 lb of tile, 5 adults and 20ft trailer.....we were just a bit over loaded. The van was so heavy it took two people to get the sliding door shut. We would find a dump every 2-3 towers and lighten the load as we went was the plan but it didn't work out that way.

We had a layer of boxes of tile on the floor in the camper and we would put the scrap tile (we had to totaly remove the old tile because the glue was bad and why it needed the work) back in the boxes for transport till we could dump. Well we hit a really bad RXR crossing and bent the axle on the camper at 4pm on a friday night. Ended up finding a guy with a welder and a torch and he got it sort of straight but it held us up for about 12 hours. While it was being patched together we were unloading old tile in various dumpsters around town to lighten the load up.

Blew a tranny on a car and were victums of fraud by MR TRANSMISSION IN KNOXVILLE TN. When we left the car and got a rental our estimate was $850. 4 hours later it was $1800. I told them not to fix. I rented a tow dolly and went and got the car. They were supose to have it ready to tow and tranny in trunk. So I get there and bolt the front suspension back on it to get it on the dolly, so much for being ready to tow. Get it loaded ask for the transmission back. I am informed they are putting it together so it doesn't leak....Hay what nice guys.

I paid the $400 for towing and for the removal of the transmission from the car. They drop trannny on ground behind car for me to load alone Nice guys cause the trunk was even open. So I trailer car back to Atlanta.

Next morning I wake up and for some reason "We are assembling the tranny so it doesn't leak" pops into my head. I get dressed and go out open the trunk and pull out the dipstick out and yep....... They even installed the dirty transmssion fluid back in that it had when towed in....what nice guys.

It was moms car she failed to do the follow up but I would have had lawyers all over them if it had been mine. Its buisness like this that give the industry a bad name. I put a used tranny in it for $250.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote