Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
The other groups of campers are divided into two groups:
  1. the people with incredibly huge brand spanking new motor homes or huge humpbacked new 5th wheels - who are pretentious snobs
  2. the people with ratty looking old trailers - who look like they are one step above homeless.
Paula Ford

Good point, Paula.
Fearing the snobbish thing may appeal to them, I need to come up with an idea to convince that all SOB's fit into the "one step above homeless" group.
(hours of intense thought)
Eureeka!

Remember the movie, "Funny Farm?" That's my inspiration:

I take them to a campground filled with Airstreamers. I pay $50 to anyone performing any Norman Rockwellish behavior in the company of our friends. ("cue the deer!")

Then, the next weekend I take them to a SOB infested (like roaches?) campground. I pay people $50 to act.....hold on, make that ten bucks....a buck.....no, wait case of beer......a shot...........fresh roadkill.......hold on a minute. We've spent more than a few weekends at shady campgrounds, and I'm not talking about the trees.......I know I don't have to pay anyone for loud use of the "F" word in casual conversation, public drunkenness from sunrise to sunset, public urination, drunken vommiting and passing out on the beach and the list continues - especially on a holiday weekend in a parkinglot style campground. Okay. So the price of campsite is all that experience will cost me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
"People buy on emotion and then justify with Facts."
]
Another good point.....
Won't that give them food for thought?
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Lert them buy their SOB, it will give them an appreciation for an Airstream when the SOB falls apart, and they are looking for another trailer in 6 months to a year.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Give friendly advise. Let them make their own decisions and mistakes. Give friendly advise again.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like combining the advice from posts 22 and 23 would give the best results.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I say let 'em by an SOB....3-5 years from now, they'll finally get it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Take 'em by surprise

You could always invite them to go looking at trailers with you. Pretext... (You are looking to obtain a newer one too) Then take them to new-ish A/S trailers that you have "pre-screened" and feel they may "fall in love with"! Sometimes you just have to "Lead a Horse to Water". What the heck could it cost you?...... The price of gas to shepherd them to known good prospective trailers may just put one in their future. It doesn't have to be Vintage to get their attention... just well maintained will work! Also be sure yourself that everything works b4 they are "shown around" the trailers. Devious! Brainwashed! Hypnotized! Or lead like lemmings! What ever it takes...Right? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Well duh, Tracy! Avoiding the hype is what an Argosy is all about!!
And let them do what they will -- they'll remain friends, right?
They'll remain our friends if they do what I tell them. Otherwise, I'm cutting them off.

Kidding aside,
I guess, being new to camping, the only trailer they see every time they go is an Argosy - ours. So being a non-conformist, I can see why he would prefer to get something different. The hype he speaks of: we're always declaring our devotion to our Minuet. And strangers often stop to look at it, ask questions about it. As with any passion, we're happy to talk. But those of you who have met us at the Midwest Rally know, we're not too hung up on perfection. Everything works, some things don't look too pretty, could use some paint, we figure the window air conditioning unit that the previous owner installed in the wrap around window works out just fine and saves us a few bucks despite looking hillbilly and obstructing the view. And the list goes on and on. Fact is, we probably fit into the one step above homeless category. I think what "wows" our friends is walking into a new trailer after looking at ours for so long. He's probably wondering how that old, run down tube can have such power over our entire family? Heck, we're just shy of hugging and smooching it. So, here I am, faced with the reality that maybe our camper is what turns them off when they consider Airstream......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Are they wanting to go much bigger than your Minuet? Do they have a larger tow vehicle? I sure wouldn't want an ultralight falling apart behind me as I tow -- and many of those have push-out beds like a pop-up and aren't good in bear country (or even allowed in Yellowstone?).
The ultralight with pull out beds is exactly what they've been looking for because they currently drive a minivan. They are a family of 5 so they need more space than what their van can tow with a traditional hardside trailer. Still, I think the Yellowstone thing is definitely a point worth making - we've talked about taking that trip in the very near future. Though I joke about minipulating them, it's only in good fun and I really don't say much about or care what they get - just love having their company so often. They're fun people with children the same ages as ours. We bought our Argosy after years spent loving our pop-up, and before that, loving our tent. We just love camping. Seems they feel the same way. But I still keep hoping that maybe, some day, I'll lure them over to the shiny side.......
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote