Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Boondocking,Trailer Parks, 30 Amp, 12 Volt?

Addressing those that do and those that don't!

Recent Comments Regarding the African Section at the Sierra Nevada Unit

Going through those pictures really gave me a lot to think about.

Seeing that group shot for instance. Imagine traveling all across Africa for months and then being able to wear suits and dresses and heals and even a fur wrap for a formal affair. Wow!

And we have so many members who won't even boondocks for a weekend because they can't do with out hook-ups and Wi-fi and don't want anything to do with dust and dirt.

It is just amazing to think of the logistics of that trip and what your Mother had to do to make arrangements etc.

Response and Reflections to Comments

When you travel for nearly sixteen or seventeen months (some African Caravanner’s toured Europe), you select the full range of clothes. I probably have a bulletin (there are 5,6,7 and possibly as many as 10) that addresses clothing for the African Caravan.

While boondocking in Africa you needed to retain your 12volt system, of course water, a roadside to dump your tanks, gasoline, and propane.

Other than the simple items in life air conditioners weren’t needed. 30 amp and water hookups weren’t needed.

I'm quite sure we had a few temperature days, but the Caravan went from winter, to spring, to fall, to winter. We side stepped summer on the entire trip. It was cold in South Africa, warmer in the equatorial regions, colder in the higher elevations, and winterish on the deserts. So no A/C's required.

We all need to find our levels of comfort. Never, but never be wimpish about being Airstreamers.

For your convenience go to these website to see how the Airstream pioneers did their thing.
Sierra Nevada Unit Main Page

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/

Comprehensive History of Helen Byam Schwamborn, Wally Byam, Caravans, Airstream and the WBBCI…and much more

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/index.html

This year’s topic of conversation, the Wally Byam Caravan to Africa 1959 to 1960

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/caravans/59-africa-caravan/59-africa-index.html

Here’ a 10 page special tribute in pictures of the African Caravan

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/history/peewee/caravans/59-africa-caravan/african-caravan-summary.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-KENYA (19).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	85625  

Old 08-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Pee Wee. I think I saw the Rig in the photo out at Quartzsite last winter still boondocking.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
"Never be wimpish about Airstreaming."

That says it all.

I can tell you from experience. The new wide and heavy Airstreams do just fine on dirt roads and crossing the Mojave desert.

Go Boondocking and you will see some amazing places and things.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
"Never be wimpish about Airstreaming."

When you boondock you never know where you might wind up.

In this case after 14,000 miles the African Caravan shared the boonies with the Pyramids of Giza. Yes siree, booning is fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15-UNITED ARAB REPUBLIC, EGYPT (32).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	85876  
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
"While boondocking in Africa you needed to retain your 12volt system, of course water, a roadside to dump your tanks, gasoline, and propane. "

The reference to 12 Volt system caused me to think back to the first travel trailer I was associated with.
When I was a teen, my family bought a new 15 foot travel trailer. It was a 1957 Starfire (aluminum,by the way). It had no battery. All the light came from one propane wall mounted light. It had no bathroom. When we camped, we pitched a small tent and put the porta potty in it. A mobile outhouse. A Bath was a jump in the river or lake. There was a fresh water tank but no holding tank. The sink drain ran to a hose fitting on the side. We connected a hose to it and it ran on the ground or into a bucket depending on where we were. The Tow vehicle was a 4x4 Jeep Station Wagon, so we went to the boondocks to boon dock.. Those were the good old days, or were they?
Regards,
Ken

Tags
12 volt