Old 10-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
For a while I was into Sudoku, and I liked paper for notes. It was great for the plane rides every week. I don't think the e-reader will replace that. (and you can take off with a paperback and pencil.)
For a couple of years now you can keep your small electronic devices on for take off and landing, as long as they are in airplane mode.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The next generation is not anti camping yet. Dear son, after spending a weekend with us and the trailer at Lake Tahoe, asked, "So what are you going to do with the trailer when you are done using it?" I said, "It's yours if you want it or else we'll sell it." You should have seen his eyes light up.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heh, next generation (youngest son) was the one that bought our family Airstream... and all three of our sons were avid campers growing up and are Eagle Scouts. Coincidence I think not.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I have Kindle, IBooks, and Nook on all of my devices, and appreciate that whether I’m out with my iPhone or at home with my iPad, I can read whatever I want to read whenever I want to read it. So 90% of the books I buy these days are electronic, and I buy 95% of them on the Kindle app. I've asked myself about my preference for Kindle over the other two apps, and I really don't have a good answer, as the iBooks and Nook apps are not that much different from Kindle, and when I think about it, I have a slight preference for Nook, as I hope Barnes and Noble stays in business. But I guess that is just part of the Amazon mystique that keeps that company growing and growing.

The only exception is books in Spanish or Russian, which I prefer in paper, because the margins get marked up with translations and notes. They have an Apple pencil, which works on some apps, but not on iBooks yet. With only a little tongue in cheek, I’ll bet Amazon figures out how to get it to work on Kindle before Apple gets it to work on IBooks.
McDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #19
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I use the Kindle reader for books. Mysteries.

Oh, and I haven't bought a book in a long time. Our public library in Albuquerque now has a collection of over 4,100 mysteries for the Kindle alone. I can log in from anyplace, select one from my wishlist, and download. All free.

Lynn
Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I find that I prefer cook books in print rather than on the Kindle. It's easier for my tired old eyes to glance back at a printed page (hands free) than to fiddle with the small screen.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #21
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
1999 31' Land Yacht
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yep, there are several printed genres that I prefer in print, too. Among them are "art" works, broadly construed to include, e.g., Netter's Anatomy.

Please don't even get me started on maps. Hands down: Printed is by far the best.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I find that I prefer cook books in print rather than on the Kindle. It's easier for my tired old eyes to glance back at a printed page (hands free) than to fiddle with the small screen.

Bob