Chesapeake , Virginia
Pc
I have the Del Rio propane fire pit.
Plugged into Muriel.
They let me use it in Estes Park
Manor rv last July.
This was during a “no burn”
time.
I have the large one,but it’s cool and real pretty.
Check it out.
Tom

Old 12-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A propane powered fire pit can be used during fire bans as there is no hot ash being generated to fly out and burn down the neighborhood.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Just came across this thread, hoping to resurrect for those of you who have the solo stove (the campfire which is one size down from the bonfire - it is about 7" across and 7" tall). I purchased one and gave it a try today (at home, trial run before taking it on the road). At home, I use All Clad stainless pots and pans on my induction stove. I have a small house so very limited set of All Clad but I get the job done with what I have.

I purchased a Lodge pre-seasoned smallish cast iron fry pan for use with the solo stove. I had used it one other time on the induction cooktop, washed, dried and coated the inside with a thin layer of oil.

So the problem I had today was that the cast iron pan smoked like crazy. I did some internet research and found a blog where it was suggested if a seasoned cast iron pan smokes, then turn down the heat. Obviously this is not possible when cooking over the solo stove and I am feeling it might have been a mistake purchasing the cast iron fry pan.

Can I ask?... What is the best pan you have for cooking over the solo stove?

The meal we made came out very well - cooked a rib eye steak - removed from the pan and cooked some shallots in the drippings, then added potatoes and some wine and they came out great. So no issues with the outcome but the smoking was nuts.

The solostove itself was amazing - I could not believe how fast it was to get a fire going from twigs in my yard and to be able to cook a full meal, so easily and quickly was awesome.

I am curious if the All Clad would be better? I don't want to ruin them if the heat is too high though. They were expensive and I love them.. want them to last.

One other thing to mention is that the cast iron pan is so heavy and when I removed it at one time, I tipped the solo stove over and the twigs fell out while on fire. I had water standing by and we were cooking on a non-combustible surface (rocks in the driveway) so all was well but a lighter weight pan might be nice for manageability.

Any advice for me?
Or if not, is there a better spot in the forums for this question?
Thank you!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Is this the one you have?

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-campfire

Your CI pan might have smoked because there was too much oil residue from your seasoning. Generally when you season a CI pan, you wipe the oil on very lightly and bake it in a oven for an hour or so, at which point there is no oil left to smoke.

The only way to adjust the heat on the Solo is to manage the fire carefully IMO. A roaring fire with visible flames would burn almost anything. I have never used one, but I think the initial fire should be allowed to die down somewhat, and then chunks of hardwood put on until they catch and die down somewhat. Charcoal would be another option IMO.

Cast iron would be my choice of material for fires that may be too hot. CI pans are almost indestructible. Other pans like All-clad would be easier to ruin over a too-hot fire IMO.

Here are a couple of CI-related threads for further research:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-64047.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html

The Stella's Kitchen forum's list of topics makes for interesting reading IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

Good luck, and thanks for reviving this thread!

Peter
Old 04-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
hi Otra15,

yes, that's the one I have...
I think I may have improperly seasoned the cast iron pan. After using it initially I wiped it with olive oil and put it in the drawer. From what you say and what I read (after posting), the baking on of a higher smoke point oil and then letting it cool might help. I have the pan in the oven right now with canola oil on it for an hour and then will shut the oven off and take it out in the morning.

I hope that helps because the sear I got on the steak was awesome!

To your point of cooking over coals vs. open flames, while we were cooking the steak and potatoes we were feeding twigs in so the flames would keep up (perhaps that was not the thing to do?) but after they died down and we had just embers, I put a foil/parchment paper packet of broccoli on top to steam and it did a great job with that really quickly. The foil on bottom was pretty well toasted by the time I took it off, but the parchment paper inside was just fine and it didn't take long to get the broccoli perfectly steamed, maybe about 5-8 minutes.

Thank you!