Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Have you had any cleaning troubles like InterBlog just mentioned, and are you still happy with your Bonfire stove?

InterBlog, I think the Bonfire gets much hotter inside the bottom, because the roaring fire is contained, than does the Kelly Kettle which lets the fire's heat rise up inside the chimney of that unit, and escape out the top.

Is it possible that the review you quoted is for one of the smaller stoves, and not about the larger Bonfire under discussion here?

Amazon reviews for the Bonfire, 3 star section, 2nd review down.

Bonfire is also open at the top, such that parts of it would be expected to be exposed to lower temperatures (which promote incomplete combustion and residue accumulation). Clearly it has a different aspect ratio than the Kelly Kettle, so that could affect this issue. I don't know how much hassle would be involved in cleaning it. Maybe less. Maybe about the same. Maybe it depends more on the composition of what is being burned. Unfortunately on my last big boondocking run, I was in a softwood forest and limited to burning spruce, which is clearly an inferior fuel source (combustion properties aside, it does make for an interesting grilled steak). It took me a long, long time to get that kettle cleaned up.

In general, I advise caution against reading too much into reviews written by people who just got their product, tried it once, and are delighted. They haven't put it through its full paces, obviously, and cannot enumerate pros and cons both, as a result. Amazon is chock full of those types.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yup, the softwoods could leave a real mess under the grate you described before. A real hot hardwood fire would burn most of that off, or render it fairly inert IMO. Agree about the reviews in general. If it were Spring, I would order one today for the sale price, based on previous comments and photos here. Worth a shot!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
I have the small solo stove I use while tent camping and short backpack trips. It is a little heavy to carry on a long trip but I have used it with the grandkids on one night trips. I like it for the ease of having a fire with out to much worry or cooking a quick meal. Most of our trips include fishing so normal a water source is close by so fire danger is minimized. I also have a Volcano grill that I carry when we use the Airstream same principle but bigger. It does make a nice fire pit and food cooking grill and the propane option is handy. The only option I would add is a gas fireplace set up. I have been looking for a burner and some lava rocks to play with to achieve that. The Bonfire is a good looking alternative but I like the versatility of the Volcano ,just less to carry . One other thing is I can cover the fire in the Volcano with a frying pan griddle to contain the fire if needed. I travel with a large fire extinguisher and with fires contained in a steel enclosure I feel I can keep everything under control. Either way I respect fire danger warnings especially while hiking out.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Smoke-free?

How smoky are these bonfires?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
I don’t think they are to smoky but than depends on the quality of the fuel . I don’t have the Bonfire but my little solo stove once it is lit burns pretty clean with dry wood. Same is true with the Volcano . If you burn damp or rotten wood it will get smokier.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I just pulled the trigger and bought one for the $225 deal today. I am interested if anyone has come up with a good cooking grate to go on top.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Weber has a variety of round SS grates, but it would have to be modified to keep it from sliding off the bonfire IMO. Kind of a rinky-dink solution, but for a quick fix, 3-5 SS hose clamps attached to the grate bars or round edge could retain it in place, with the extra length of each clamp sticking down.

Some of the Weber grates have sections which hinge up so you can adjust the coals below. If you used an oversized round grate, the cantilevered edge outside the Bonfire could be more of a "keep warm" location, but the retaining hose clamps [above] would have to be attached inside the field of the grate.

Where there's a grill, there's a grate? Great . . .

If anyone tries this or another method, please let us know.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Weber possible grates:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/store/pa...n-ash-catcher/

Weber has other grates for other models on different pages. Need to coordinate size with the Bonfire's OD and that top edge detail with vent holes nearby.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I just pulled the trigger and bought one for the $225 deal today. I am interested if anyone has come up with a good cooking grate to go on top.

You need to use a “swing away” grate attached to a rod driven in the ground next to the bonfire. If you put a grate directly on top it will disrupt the jet effect that reduces the smoke. It would also be too hot to cook on. Boil liquids, maybe - grilling, only if you like things very well done.

Once the bonfire heats up and the jet effect kicks in, it can burn like a jet engine exhaust - especially if you use dry hardwood. Mine reduced several bundles of wood to two handfuls of ash.

The worst case scenario is if it starts raining while using or before you can flip and dump the ashes (it stays pretty hot for a long time). With only the holes around the side at the bottom, getting wet ash out of the unit is impossible unless you can hit it with a hose or wash it in a stream. Other than that, the thing is awesome!
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Pc
I have the Del Rio propane fire pit.
Plugged into Muriel.
They let me use it in Estes Park
Manor rv last July.
This was during a “no burn”
time.
I have the large one,but it’s cool and real pretty.
Check it out.
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A propane powered fire pit can be used during fire bans as there is no hot ash being generated to fly out and burn down the neighborhood.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Just came across this thread, hoping to resurrect for those of you who have the solo stove (the campfire which is one size down from the bonfire - it is about 7" across and 7" tall). I purchased one and gave it a try today (at home, trial run before taking it on the road). At home, I use All Clad stainless pots and pans on my induction stove. I have a small house so very limited set of All Clad but I get the job done with what I have.

I purchased a Lodge pre-seasoned smallish cast iron fry pan for use with the solo stove. I had used it one other time on the induction cooktop, washed, dried and coated the inside with a thin layer of oil.

So the problem I had today was that the cast iron pan smoked like crazy. I did some internet research and found a blog where it was suggested if a seasoned cast iron pan smokes, then turn down the heat. Obviously this is not possible when cooking over the solo stove and I am feeling it might have been a mistake purchasing the cast iron fry pan.

Can I ask?... What is the best pan you have for cooking over the solo stove?

The meal we made came out very well - cooked a rib eye steak - removed from the pan and cooked some shallots in the drippings, then added potatoes and some wine and they came out great. So no issues with the outcome but the smoking was nuts.

The solostove itself was amazing - I could not believe how fast it was to get a fire going from twigs in my yard and to be able to cook a full meal, so easily and quickly was awesome.

I am curious if the All Clad would be better? I don't want to ruin them if the heat is too high though. They were expensive and I love them.. want them to last.

One other thing to mention is that the cast iron pan is so heavy and when I removed it at one time, I tipped the solo stove over and the twigs fell out while on fire. I had water standing by and we were cooking on a non-combustible surface (rocks in the driveway) so all was well but a lighter weight pan might be nice for manageability.

Any advice for me?
Or if not, is there a better spot in the forums for this question?
Thank you!
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is this the one you have?

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-campfire

Your CI pan might have smoked because there was too much oil residue from your seasoning. Generally when you season a CI pan, you wipe the oil on very lightly and bake it in a oven for an hour or so, at which point there is no oil left to smoke.

The only way to adjust the heat on the Solo is to manage the fire carefully IMO. A roaring fire with visible flames would burn almost anything. I have never used one, but I think the initial fire should be allowed to die down somewhat, and then chunks of hardwood put on until they catch and die down somewhat. Charcoal would be another option IMO.

Cast iron would be my choice of material for fires that may be too hot. CI pans are almost indestructible. Other pans like All-clad would be easier to ruin over a too-hot fire IMO.

Here are a couple of CI-related threads for further research:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-64047.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ing-40090.html

The Stella's Kitchen forum's list of topics makes for interesting reading IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

Good luck, and thanks for reviving this thread!

Peter
Old 04-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
hi Otra15,

yes, that's the one I have...
I think I may have improperly seasoned the cast iron pan. After using it initially I wiped it with olive oil and put it in the drawer. From what you say and what I read (after posting), the baking on of a higher smoke point oil and then letting it cool might help. I have the pan in the oven right now with canola oil on it for an hour and then will shut the oven off and take it out in the morning.

I hope that helps because the sear I got on the steak was awesome!

To your point of cooking over coals vs. open flames, while we were cooking the steak and potatoes we were feeding twigs in so the flames would keep up (perhaps that was not the thing to do?) but after they died down and we had just embers, I put a foil/parchment paper packet of broccoli on top to steam and it did a great job with that really quickly. The foil on bottom was pretty well toasted by the time I took it off, but the parchment paper inside was just fine and it didn't take long to get the broccoli perfectly steamed, maybe about 5-8 minutes.

Thank you!
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote