Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Bob Hope...

Good Evening all...
I kn this is not A/S related, but wish to express 2 U our sadness of losing one of the finest Gentlemen in the world, BOB HOPE...
Not only was he a fine all round entertainer, he captivated his friends 2 the end....
He will be missed by all, God Bless & Good Night.
...Chris.....
Old 07-28-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
"I do benefits for all religions - I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality."
- Bob Hope
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thanks for your thoughts

In the spring of 1952, during the Korean War, I was a private first-class in Radar school at Keesler AFB. Bob Hope and his troupe came to the base and put on a show; all classes were cancelled that night. The officers got the best seats, but I was lucky and got one of the closest enlisted seats. He won me over that night and my admiration for him grew over the years. No one has ever given so much of themselves to armed forces personnel.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
How nice of you Chris ..........

Not only was Bob Hope a fine gentleman, he must have had a wonderful family. They did, after all, share him with many thousands of military personel over the years during the Christmas season. A national treasure indeed.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re-BOB.

Hi All....
Funny how many years ago, when I was a LOT ( sigh ) younger, I recall my Mom watching the Great entertainer on TV, I used to think...why is Mom watching that rubbish....well we all know the saying, what goes around-comes around...
As the years flew past, TV changed...but sadly there were NO new entertainers, sure there were funny Guys on the box, but no-one realy dedicated, only the MATURE Guys, like Bruce Forscythe & Norman Wisdom also Sammy Davis Jnr, Now one Saturday night at the London Paladium, all the techno Guys decided to strike...it was a full house, but Bruce decided that people paid their money to see a show, and a show they will see...now to be honest, I can't recall who he was with, it was S/D/J or N/W...whoever between them it was a show to remember...and I for one realy were entertained...we had Eric & ernie Wise, there are so many funny people out there, so many good entertainers...BUT up there in the TOP slots...there sadly are NOT many who make it to a household name...Bob Hope not only put pleasure into his work, he put work into his pleasure...and thinking abt it he was ( IS ) surely one of the best entertainers on EARTH,.
No doubt his life story will be writen, and YES I will purchase a copy...I would like to think that Bob, will be remembered all around the globe, as are ELVIS, BECKHAM, MANCHESTER UNITED, (whoever they are)...and LAND ROVERS...LOL...
" Thank's BOB " for entertaining us for so long...
All have a good day 2day...Chris.....
Old 07-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the memories.............

Like John Irwin, I was a PFC in 1969 and saw Bob Hope in DaNang. That afternoon was the most memorable event during my year there. I couldn't even tell who elso was there at that show and there were other headliners, I just can't recall who. Bob Hope made the biggest impression on me then. Then it was kind of neat when I found out my family watched the same show back here on TV and I was in that crowd watching.

He was a great man and you are right canny_banjo_man, There seems to be none to take his place, just like the many others before him. Dean Martin, George Burns, Sammy Davis Jr, Uncle Milty, and the many others that stood out among a sea of entertainers. I was suprised to find out he had never won an Academy Award. He said, "At my house, the Academy Award night was called Passover."

A great man to be truly missed....................
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Stan, I believe Ann Margret was one of the top names in 1969. I saw the show in DaNang in 1968 and I can't remember who else was there. I believe Mr. Hope would look good on Mt. Rushmore??
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Where there's Hope...

Good morning ALL...
Though Bob WAS born in England, after his career took off, he knew he had a huge following in the States, so he decided to " GO 4 it "...he knew there WAS an opening for a Guy like himself...but he DID remain loyal to his native British people...One liners kept himself aware of his past....
I'm half British, half American. My passport has an eagle with a tea bag in it's beak.
My folks were English.Theywere too poor to be British, I still have a bit of British in me, in fact, my blood type is solid MARMALDE...
There'llALWAYS be an England - even if it IS in HOLLYWOOD.
It was a typically British birth, I was three at the time, They had a strike in the maternity ward, I came out in sympathy.
We were kind of poor and my mother hated to spend a nickel on herself,so she bought most of her things in an army surplus store, She was the only Woman in Cleveland wearing KHAKI LIPSTICK...
And one for the Heavy Metal brigade...I was well on my way to being a juvenile delinquent. When I was 16, I had more hubcaps than GENERAL MOTORS...
...So may Bob continue to amuse his heavenly audience...
Stay Good...Chris.....
Old 07-30-2003, 02:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Just for references

Chris,

I know you meant well but, I believe your inferences is slightly muddled here.
You wrote:
Quote:
Though Bob WAS born in England, after his career took off, he knew he had a huge following in the States, so he decided to " GO 4 it "...he knew there WAS an opening for a Guy like himself...but he DID remain loyal to his native British
The references to: after his career took off.... Actually, he was a child of three years of age when his parents moved to the USA. It was while he was still at a somewhat tender age that he made his first appearances on stage, here in NYC, I believe. (He won a Charlie Chaplin imitation contest in 1915 in Cleveland, Ohio)
I gathered from your comments that, his career started in the UK and, then came over here. If that's a true interpretation of your thoughts as expressed, then it needs to be corrected. ~ Don’t you agree??
If prechance you know something that hasn't been included in the published reports here about his background, I, for one, would like to know about it.
We are all mindful of his birthplace and, give many thanks for both that and, the fact that he was a "King of Comedy" to all.
More importantly, he was a decent human being, who 'cared'.

As usual, it’s always great hearing from you across the pond..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Jerry, I think you are right. I could dig out the old photo album, but I think that is better left alone. I remember that there were a group of dancers. Either from Dean Martin or Jackie Gleason, I think. For the life of me, I can't remember. You know what they say, the mind is first to go.
sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Correction.

Hi '53...
The Guy must have had a CRYSTAL BALL...that no-one told me abt...well I will read half baked news-papers, so to straighten it out, " hands up, I dropped a clanger " SORRY Guys.
Yes he did start at an early age, and must have had great willpower to carry on, for the many, many years that he did...whatever his circumstances, he was truely a great person, an you know, to be chosen to live to the great era of 100 years of age, is ANOTHER great fete he performed...bet he gets a gold armchair up and beyond those pearly gates...
agn, sorry abt the wrong info, an thank U for educating me once more....
Have a lovely evening...Chris...