Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
black marks

I have a question: Do any of you find that your dinnerware or bowls, plates, silverware sometime get black marks or smudges on them?..is there anything that's great for taking the marks off?
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Black marks, hmmmm. Do you have Melamine dishes, Corelleware, glass??? In our old SOB I had a little trouble with things getting black marks if I had a dish next to an aluminum or metal pan or something.... I found the cause of mine to be just rubbing during travel. Is that what you are asking about?

I haven't had any trouble for quite a long time, I use (clean) old sock tops and slip my glasses, cups, and other similar items (canned food, etc.) into them. It covers them up so they don't crash around in the cuboard while going over a bump, keeps breakables safe, and helps with the "rubbing" and marking issues. I have a sheet of paper towel that I place between plates and bowls. I think others use special packaging, or custom little dish holders to keep their dishes tidy and in place.

Have you tried the magic eraser (sponge thingy) from "Mr. Clean". They work quite well with a number of items. Takes black marks off floors from shoes very nicely. I have no idea if they will work on the dishes, but I would give that a try.

Tell us more, maybe we can give more answers!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
This happens frequently when I am doing some engine work on Chummy with the dog house cover off. I'll reach into a cabinet for a cup or bowl to hold the screws, nuts, bolts, and parts I am taking off of the engine. When I put the cup or bowl back they usually have black marks on them but I am always careful to put them back in the correct place in the cabinet.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Thnx CaddyGrn and Chaplain,

I thought it might be the rubbing of the plates, etc. against each other while traveling that caused the marks on my corelle, melamine... I did notice on the pieces that I put paper towels between some of the platters, that that worked!..I will insulate everything from now on!..we're headed out to the Coast again this coming week for a couple of days!..I'll try it out! thbx
Old 08-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
It happens to my pots so I pad between eveything in the pot area with paper towels or dishtowel or washrags. anything to keep them from rubbing when on the road. My plates and bowls don"t seem to be a problem.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie1935
It happens to my pots so I pad between eveything in the pot area with paper towels or dishtowel or washrags. anything to keep them from rubbing when on the road. My plates and bowls don"t seem to be a problem.

Kay
Hi Carnegie1935,

Yes, the pots too!....even my cooking utensils which are in a plastic box get the marks!..now it's protection for everything!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Thnx CaddyGrn and Chaplain,

I will insulate everything from now on!..we're headed out to the Coast again this coming week for a couple of days!..I'll try it out! thbx
Let us know if this "solved" your problem! Hope you have a great weekend!

Old 08-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Yes, I'll testify that that Mr. Clean Eraser works wonders!..A friend of mine told me about it a couple of months ago..when she was telling me how it was so hard to take off the soap scum on her shower tub and walls, it does indeed work!..the only thng is that it crumbles after a bunch of uses..and I did try it on the black marks on plates..voila!..it works on that too!..I was at Sam's Club yesterday and saw that for about $7 you can get a box of them (something like 7 of them)..Wal-Mart has them for about $1.50 each too..

Coming back from our trip I found that paper towels between the plates, etc. protects them too..thnx all
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Thanks for responding!

So glad our suggestions worked! By the way, the Mr. Clean eraser also worked really well cleaning black marks, etc. off of my son's Hobie sailboat hull. They do wear out easier than I would like.... but it saves the fingers!

Happy camping!