Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Black Friday

I'm interested in purchasing a door buster deal from Best Buy during "Black Friday" next week and was wondering what time I need to show up to snare one of these deals. What if I purchased the item now and then played the return-it-and-buy-it-back game on Friday? Can I buy it back at the Black Friday price?

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on this topic?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Just park your A/S outside the store after Thanksgiving dinner

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Check the store inventory to see how many of those items they really have. Generally it's very few. I can't get caught up in the fury. I'm pretty disgusted with this whole PS-3 hype with fights breaking out and people geting shot - over a video game.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, why not? after the recent "hoopla" over the ps3's...seeing all those people setting up tents in line for days...why couldn't one of those be an aluminum tent?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
They do have a thirty day policy, where they will give credit if they lower a price beyond your purchise price. You just have to call them on it before the thirty day limit. Is that what you are speaking of?
Bob.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hey, You could sell coffee and donuts out of your AS.
Might make enough to by the PS3.

Live in our world, travel in yours...
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk
They do have a thirty day policy, where they will give credit if they lower a price beyond your purchise price. You just have to call them on it before the thirty day limit. Is that what you are speaking of?
Bob.
Best Buy will not honor the 30-day price difference for the door buster Black Friday sales. The "door buster" sale is the one that runs from 5 am to noon on Friday. That is the reason why I was thinking of playing the buy-it-return-it-buy-it-back game.

I've done some more searching around and have found the TV set at both Circuit City and Wal-Mart for $300 less than Best Buy. Plus, both CC and WM will honor the Black Friday price difference, if any, for any purchases prior to Friday. Also, CC will match any competitor's price. Guess what I'm doing today?

P.S.
I love the coffee and donut idea!!!!
I will keep that in mind if I ever need to wait in one of those lines!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My son worked at a Best Buy store for awhile. The employees got to purchase items at cost plus 5%, so it was easy to see their cost vs retail price. Believe me - Best Buy is a full markup retail store. They have publically announced that they are not interested in the price-sensitive shopper. A few sale prices may be a "loss leader" to generate traffic, but you have to know what you are doing because most still have a heavy margin built-in. Buy your things on the Internet and save!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
My son worked at a Best Buy store for awhile. The employees got to purchase items at cost plus 5%, so it was easy to see their cost vs retail price. Believe me - Best Buy is a full markup retail store. They have publically announced that they are not interested in the price-sensitive shopper. A few sale prices may be a "loss leader" to generate traffic, but you have to know what you are doing because most still have a heavy margin built-in. Buy your things on the Internet and save!
Hmmm...do I see a new part time job in my future???

Seriously, thanks for the insight. I am comparing costs in brick&mortar vs. internet and have found that when there is a brick&mortar sale, it comes close to matching the internet pricing when you factor in the additional shipping charge for internet sales. If the difference is around $100, I don't mind spend the extra $ at a brick&mortar because it is much easier to deal with returns/exchanges in a brick&mortar than it is with the internet.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Often the shipping charges for an Internet purchase are offset by the avoidance of sales tax (6.5% in MN). Also, I have found that the Internet sites of the brick-and-mortar stores are not price competitive, and they charge sales tax. Ebay and the mom-and-pop places can be a better deal. I don't return many items (unless defective, which is rare) so that is not a big factor to me.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
PATAGONIA , Arizona
As For The Ps-3 Fighting In The Sidewalk. Not So Hard For Me. I Walk In.......buy A New Fishing Poll.......i Walk Out. Go Home And Take My Shoes Off.
TIMETOGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Often the shipping charges for an Internet purchase are offset by the avoidance of sales tax (6.5% in MN).
Sales tax is not a concern for us as we buy in NH (no sales tax).
Also, MA features an annual tax-free shopping day.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Where you gonna fit that 42" in the 17'er. That will leave you with less than14' to chase...... the dog around.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I've done some more searching around and have found the TV set at both Circuit City and Wal-Mart for $300 less than Best Buy. Plus, both CC and WM will honor the Black Friday price difference, if any, for any purchases prior to Friday. Also, CC will match any competitor's price. Guess what I'm doing today?
Incorrect - WM Black Friday prices are good from 5am to 11am only. Prior purchases are excluded.

Some retail stores (not WM) also have their BF ad items online for purchase prior to BF, and without having to fight the crowds. I got my multi-position ladder from HD last year that way.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hmmm...

Since I will be spending Thanksgiving in my Airstream at Yosemite, I wonder if the general store at Yosemite lodge will have any Black Friday specials. Maybe I can get a deal on a Yosemite postcard, or perhaps a Yosemite shotglass or refrigerator magnet!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Incorrect - WM Black Friday prices are good from 5am to 11am only. Prior purchases are excluded.
The hours must be different for different states. In New England, the Best Buy Black Friday hours are 5 AM - noon.

For anyone interested in the *secret* Best Buy sale items not advertised in their newspaper flyer, here is the *secret* link.

Read the fine print, posted here for your convenience...
DETAILS Quantities on all items on this page are limited. No rainchecks or substitutions. Not available at BestBuy.com® or by phone. Best Buy's price match policy does not apply to items on this page and is not valid on prior purchases.

Prior to opening, a line of customers will form outside the store. Starting at 4 A.M. with the front of the line, employees will hand out tickets to customers for these limited quantity items. The tickets, limited to 1 ticket per customer per each item, grant the customer the ability to buy the limited-quantity item between 5 A.M. and noon on Friday. Excludes CDs, DVDs and video games. We are unable to guarantee that all customers in line will receive a ticket.

*Offer not valid in combination with the HD Complete Advantage offer. Cannot be combined with other offers, including Gift Card offers.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
The hours must be different for different states. In New England, the Best Buy Black Friday hours are 5 AM - noon.

Read the fine print, posted here for your convenience...
DETAILS Quantities on all items on this page are limited. No rainchecks or substitutions. Not available at BestBuy.com® or by phone. Best Buy's price match policy does not apply to items on this page and is not valid on prior purchases.
Yukionna - I was only referring to WM (Wal-Mart) when I mentioned the 5am to 11am. I have no knowledge of Best Buys hours. But the main point of my post was to point out that WM will not "honor the Black Friday price difference, if any, for any purchases prior to Friday" as you had posted.

Quote:
Plus, both CC and WM will honor the Black Friday price difference, if any, for any purchases prior to Friday.
Wow! those are some good prices on the secret link! WM is releasing 17-18 additional items - pricing to be announced on Thanksgiving day. I guess the stores are trying to drum up a little more excitement since most of their ads were leaked ahead of time at bfads.net
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote