Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
I don't recommend sideways to travel mounting for long term fork mounting but rather longitudinal mounting.
Maybe you're able to stop faster with the MH than a trailer but I doubt there's a lot of difference between the stop/go force and cornering. Eye hooks and a few bunge cords would take care of it and keep things from going "bump in the night". Come to think of it, wasn't your coach designed for the "cargo" to be laid out flat

The real dog is our next trip is likely up to the Methow in October and they plan to run a cyclocross race on Saturday and mtn bike XC on Sunday. Four bikes in the trailer is starting to get cramped

-Bernie

Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoysrvin
Has anyone added a bike rack to the back of their airstream ? Any suggestions on what type and how it was attached would be appreciated.
I agree, don't put anything on the bumper of the Airstream. I too thought of placing bikes inside the new RV, but then thought, why, sure it'll cost a bit more, but there is no question of zero damage to the inside due to shifting, etc, if you find an alternate solution.

Not sure what your tow vehicle is, but I went this route:

www.yakima.com

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #17
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
Thanks for all the help ...We have a Chevy truck as tv ....Where did you place the yakima bike rack ?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I'll reply to some of the concerns voiced previously;

Never had a problem with cooling while the bikes were on the front hitch.

Don't really care if they get "bugs" on them. We MT bike and they get filthy any way. I clean them when the trip is done.

We have a p-up now, bikes and other stuff in the bed ( I have snaked a cable through the stake pocket so I can lock em up pretty good...) and kayaks on the roof with a Thule rack.

Never really had a problem with line of sight with the bikes up front. I took the seats off and threw them in back. This leaves only a small diameter tube in your line of sight. Didn't really bother me (or effect headlights at night).

For us, the front hitch worked great; easy access, had the rack with me if we wanted to go explore outside the campground, didn't have to lift bikes on to a rather high roof, freed up the roof for kayaks. Never had any ground clearance problem either, although we don't really "four wheel".
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Seeing that our bikes are more valuable more than our car, we carry them in the back or our tv pickup which has a hard cover.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
We would not recommend a front mount hitch for the bikes.. Did that and the bikes imped your vision thru the windshield... we had a very near miss last spring coming home from Fla..our TV is a F250 ...
My front hitch protrudes from the center of the bumper, so with a bike rack, the bikes would be in the line of sight through the windshield. I use a 10" hitch drop so the top of the bikes are even with the truck hood.I also use the Swagman three bike towing bike rack. It has a 2" square tube that mounts over your 2" hitch draw bar - works great.I also purchased a 2 bike rack stand for neatly storing the bikes outside and have used it to stand the bikes up inside the trailer while traveling. This has also worked out very well since the bikes are standing very secure and not lying on the floor.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Peegreen.. Thanks for the info.. when we travel with the 5th wheel.. we have a canoe loader in the front hitch and the bike rack on the back of the 5th wheel.. have already checked with the manufacturer about bike racks on back..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
To improve forward vision we also remove the bike seats. What an improvement. Happy Trails
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #23
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
Approximately 20 years ago I purchased a two bike rack from Airstream in Jackson Center. It fit my 1966 24ft. airstream trailer. It was made to swing away from the rear bumper, with the bikes installed, to gain access to the plumbing and drains behind the rear access door and bumper that held the sewer hose etc. It appears at that time airstream did not believe there was a issue with rear seperation.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Front rack

We're off to Disney World tomorrow with our bikes leading the way.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BikeRack.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	26687  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #25
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
I used to have a front mounted bike rack on an old VW microbus. The problem was the bike wheels could scrape pavement when I encountered dips in pavement like gas station entrances.

However, my rack was much lower to the ground than Tom's.

We usually haul our bikes inside the camper in a fork mounted rack that I custom-fashioned. Google Bike-Tite and you'll see what I'm talking about and build your own rack to go inside the camper.

Scott
Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
bike rack

i used a bike rack on my airstream for years. had three grandsons that camped with us up untill college time. never had any reason for not putting one on bumper. airstreams have a frame that the bumper mounts on.
airstreams aren't built that weak. there are a lot of airstreams out there with compartments for storage built on the rear bumper.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Another vote for bikes on the front receiver hitch

Another vote for bikes on the front receiver hitch. See picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I'll reply to some of the concerns voiced previously;

Never had a problem with cooling while the bikes were on the front hitch.

Don't really care if they get "bugs" on them. We MT bike and they get filthy any way. I clean them when the trip is done.

We have a p-up now, bikes and other stuff in the bed ( I have snaked a cable through the stake pocket so I can lock em up pretty good...) and kayaks on the roof with a Thule rack.

Never really had a problem with line of sight with the bikes up front. I took the seats off and threw them in back. This leaves only a small diameter tube in your line of sight. Didn't really bother me (or effect headlights at night).

For us, the front hitch worked great; easy access, had the rack with me if we wanted to go explore outside the campground, didn't have to lift bikes on to a rather high roof, freed up the roof for kayaks. Never had any ground clearance problem either, although we don't really "four wheel".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	matterhorn_carol_as_yuk_bikes.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	27506  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My rack took some machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
...However, my rack was much lower to the ground than Tom's...
As purchased, my bike rack held the bikes way too high. I had to cut 10 inches off the vertical height of the bike rack to get it as low as seen in the picture. That particular amount to remove was based on the tallest bike's wheels being no lower than the front suspension's cross member.

It was apparently the right amount as I had good visibility while on the road, and after 1600 miles (mostly interstate ) through three states, no bike wheels have been dragged.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote