Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #41
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Update...

Hello again fellow folding bike affectionados!

Well, it's been a little over two years since I started this thread... time to update a little!

Since last we had this discussion, I thought I'd give you some of my observations about the bikes I had and what I've done since.

First, the power-purple Bike Friday now lives in the Bay Area with a new owner, and the Giant Halfway is now with a new owner in the Los Angeles area.

I couldn't get used to the flex of the Bike Friday. Both the frame and stem had enough that it was a little uncomfortable some times. Couple a vague feel with a short wheelbase and there were occasions when I felt like the bike was going where it wanted, not where I wanted it to go.

The Halfway was just too small for me, and the components on the bike are all both proprietary and (lets be kind) not of the highest quality. It was a great idea, it just wasn't well executed even at the price point they were selling at.

Early this summer I found two Sun EZ-Tad SX tadpole recumbent trikes, and we had a ball with them. They went to the Moraine View Midwest Rally with us this year. They're tough to take along travelling because of their bulk, but they convinced me that I like recumbents!

So, the Sun trikes have both found new homes, both in the Des Moines area!

So... today...

I have looked with some indifference at Trek F600 folders on-line since they came out, but had never seen one in person. I found a NOS one a few months ago at a LBS in Minneapolis for $849, but was hesitant because I really didn't know how much better (or different) I could expect it to be than the Giant Halfway I already had and wasn't happy with. The frameset of the Trek F600 is aluminum and made by Dahon, and the '04 model had Shimano Deore rapid fire shifting and a Deore rear derailleur, Schwalbe Marathons and, except for the stem and frame, generally available off-the-shelf equipment. The '05 and '06 F600s came equipped with SRAM X.7 trigger shifters, and SRAM dual-drive rear derailleur. '06 was the last year for this bike.

Interesting that CY posted above, as I found his ad independently on Craigslist a few weeks ago, and ended up buying his bike from photos after some negotiating. I had still never ridden or seen one in person. I hadn't seen his post here until today.

So, now, there's a story here... this past Spring, I built up a '98 Trek Millenia HT frame that we bought as a complete bike for my wife in 2000. It had grip shift and a twenty-one speed drive train along with a bunch of custom-red-anodized parts that were the rage then. I found a NOS '03 vintage XT rapid-fire group on eBay for about $250 complete, and new Mavic 717 wheels laced to the same vintage XT hubs for $169. I put a Nashbar trekking butterfly bar, Nashbar suspension seatpost, and Nashbar long threaded headset stem, 1.5x26 Bontrager road slicks and Planet Bike Fenders on it. The long and short of it is that I built the frame into a really nice commuter using those parts, and ride it a whole mile and a half round-trip a day to work daily. It's gotten a whopping 130 miles on it so far this summer, just riding to and from work since mid-April.

My wife had a total hip replacement four years ago, and three years ago we bought her a Giant Revive semi-recumbent with a Nexus hub. Other than being heavier than a farm tractor, it was a pretty cool bike. It developed a problem with the wheels and our LBS (local bike sho) couldn't repair it, and Giant no longer had parts, so our LBS said they'd take it on trade on anything we wanted.

I began to look at full recumbents thinking that may be just the ticket for her, but our LBS doesn't carry any right now. One day on a short day trip we stopped into an LBS in Davenport, IA and found two of the last '06 Burley recumbents left in captivity. Bor those of you who don't follow the 'bent world, Burley stopped producing bikes in September of '06. I had no plans of buying one for me, but they had this Lapis Hepcat with XTR and Avid BB7 discs... well, the Hepcat is mine and Laurie has a Jett Creek with SRAM X.9. We got them for used prices!

The Burleys went with us to the East Coast this summer and we had a ball.. the last few days of the trip found us in Washington DC taking the Metro to the Washington Convention Center where Laurie had a conference, and I was free to wander about DC. The Burleys won't do the Metro.

One 95 degree summer afternoon, after trekking miles on foot sightseeing, I began to yearn for one of my folders that I could have taken on the Metro and seen twice the sights in half the time on. Did I mention it was 95*?

I found and bid on an '04 Trek F600 on eBay while in DC, but it was bid up way past what I was comfortable with. Upon our return to Iowa, I found Charles' ad for his, and it now lives with me.

So... after all that... the '04 Trek F600 is what I had hoped both the Giant and Bike Friday would have been. It's a solid framed folder with minimal flex that actually fits me pretty darn well. The seat post could have had one more inch to fit perfectly, but it's close enough that I don't mind it. What's amazing is how high the stem goes!

It now has Planet Bike fenders, a Dahon Arclite rack with a small rack bag with zip out panniers, a Cateye wireless computer, and a couple of Cateye lights gracing it. I also put Ergon GR2 grips and magnesium stubby bar ends on it, which improved the rideability comfort tremendously. The stock seat with built-in handle is actually almost as good as my favorite saddle, the Trek CRZ+ which I have on my Millennia HT, and on the GT RTS-2 dual-suspension mountain bike which I have since given to my 19 year old college-student son. The stock folding pedals are a little hoaky and have been replaced with MKS MT-E EZ pedals with half-clips

The gearing is high enough that the bike is capable of going faster than I'm comfortable with. The short wheelbase remains a little twitchy, and both hands are required to keep it steady, but that's not any different from the other two folders I had.

So, in the Trek F600 I think I have found the Holy Grail of commercial, reasonably priced folders for a guy who's 6'5" tall. Other than the few minor accessories I've added, and the pedal and grip swap-offs, I don't think I could have designed it any more closely for what I wanted in a folder! As I get time in the next few days, I'll post a photo or two of the Trek F600 as I have it set up.

The rest of the story... our LBS, World of Bikes in Iowa City IA took back the Giant Revive and gave us 80% of it's original purchase price toward another bike. Laurie got a Trek 7500 hybrid which she can ride quite nicely, even with her hip replacement, now that it's set up properly. I can't say enough nice things about World of Bikes!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #42

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Trek F600 available for $590 + shipping... only ridden a few times. located in Tulsa, OK please email if interested..
sorry this has been SOLD... the Trek F600 addressed basically all the issues .. you mentioned... very stiff...fairly lightweight... uses quality Shimano 9sp gears... full sized components... in short rode exactly like a full sized bike... 35+ mile rides no problems... Burley trailers are the best! I've towed my kids in excess of 10k miles on two different Burley trailers... mostly behind a early fillet braised Fisher Mountain bike. currently riding a recumbent .... a Lightning F-40 with full fairing... probably my last post here.... unless I find a deal on an Coooool Airstream of course...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #43
_

. , .
wow chief that's a lot of bike trading for 2 years!

you need a dealers license and a score card.

you know there ARE folding recumbent trikes now too...

FINALLY u score the dahon/trek, suggested back in post 6...

of course trek (unwisely) dropped this model,

just before the ride-to-work/communter craze hit.

the issue with small wheel bikes 4 someone your height is almost always adequate seat post/stem reach.

and the front end "twitchiness" is really how most small wheelers ride, regardless of wheelbase.

fork rake can alter it some, but small wheelers all tend to steer quickly and r hard to ride hands free...

another small wheeler that could work nicely for YOU is the burro...

Burro Bikes!

as u can see from the website these frames are taller and rely less on stem and post for length.

moulton has now joined forces with pashley, officially launching a new company/enterprise this summer.

this move will result in some production increases and more models, they've NOW got a usa distributor 2, which is a big deal.

the pashley/moulton seen back in post 6 may be 4sale by early spring, i'm shopping again too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #44
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I know, 2Air, I know. I'd just never seen one in person! I should have trusted you guys and my gut to begin with... but I'm a happy camper now, and I managed to find 'bents in the process! I have really become a convert, but having the three bikes is a really nice combination. I never get tired of any of them 'cause of the variety. FWIW there is a pretty significant difference in the Trek frame and Dahon branded frames from that same period. Obviously, Trek had some pretty hefty specs they wanted met.

I've looked at a number of Dahons and even Bromptons now, and I'm convinced that for my purposes there's nothing better out there. Regarding the Brompton, I looked at a couple of them this summer, and I'm convinced that the Breezer I3 (more or less a Brommy clone) is equally suited to the task that the Brompton does so well at about 1/3 the cost of a genuine Brompton. I doubt the components will hold up as well long-term, but who knows?

The one spec the Burro doesn't list is weight. Having hefted a Surly Pugsly with the huge 4" tires, I suspect that the Burro is heavy.

Roger
Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #45
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
sorry this has been SOLD... the Trek F600 addressed basically all the issues .. you mentioned... very stiff...fairly lightweight... uses quality Shimano 9sp gears... full sized components... in short rode exactly like a full sized bike... 35+ mile rides no problems... Burley trailers are the best! I've towed my kids in excess of 10k miles on two different Burley trailers... mostly behind a early fillet braised Fisher Mountain bike. currently riding a recumbent .... a Lightning F-40 with full fairing... probably my last post here.... unless I find a deal on an Coooool Airstream of course...
Charles, apparently you didn't read my post! I bought your bike!

Roger
Old 09-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #46
_

. , .
the real value of a brompton or birdy is quick folding and a small package once folded.

so it's ideal for urban use where mass transit is mixed with riding.

the trip to d.c. would have been nicely suited to either.

but neither are ideal for a really tall rider or longer rides.

the burro can be equipped from ~25 lbs to around 30 lbs, depending on kit.

the heavier/fatter tire/rim package is intended for trail/off road riding and really this line is for mostly 'slow' rolling use...

and while the added mass is an issue, heavier tires actually REDUCE that twitchy feel u noticed on the small wheelers...

you might try some of the larger schwalbe tires, inspite of mass they'll improve the 600's ride around town.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #47
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
2Air, I'm not doing the ride to train-train to downtown-ride to work thing, so I don't need the small package; but frankly I wouldn't fit on it anyway. The Trek is perfect for my needs. Trek just did an abysmal job of marketing the bike. They had a real winner, but fortunately for the other folding bike companies, apparently they just didn't know how or who to sell it to, and when they were underwhelmed with sales, they dropped the folder. Too bad.

Oh... and on the folding trike thing... I have been in the cockpit of a Greenspeed GT5... but I have no intention of investing what a small car costs...

For recreational riding, and all-round use, though, I have to say that my Hepcat is just amazing. I won't use it to commute on for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it doesn't have fenders, and I have no plan to install them. I'm reserving it for strictly going out and riding for the joy of riding. There's nothing quite like it.

We had RAGBRAI through our town this year, about 20,000 more of the nicest folks you could meet in a town of 3,100. That was fun!

Roger
Old 09-26-2008, 06:21 AM   #48
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Trek F400 trek

I'm so impressed with the F600 and Laurie likes it well enough that I found an '06 electric blue F400 in new condition near Madison, WI with a Trek bag for $395 for my wife. So yesterday we made the trek to Beaver Dam WI and picked it up. Larry still has another, BTW, if anyone is interested...

Interestingly, it has Shimano instead of SRAM as shown on the Trek archive website.

Anyway, we made a day of stopping at Madison bicycle shops... what a kick! We did the usual shops, the Trek Store, Williamson's, and Erik's. And then, quite by accident, we discovered the Budget Bicycle Shops. What a place! They have a recumbent, trike, and folding bike store. A regular bike store. A used bike store and museum, and an accessories store... in FOUR buildings! I don't know how big their stock really is, but it's got to be literally thousands of bikes. Anyway, if you're into bikes, Madison is obviously the place to be!

At the recumbent, trike, and folding bike store, I got to see a Velotechnic Scorpion folding trike... only $4k... it was gorgeous tho... as well as many of the Dahon folders in their lineup, as well as Birdy and the current Giant Halfway in person. Having now seen the Dahon, Breezer, Giant, and many Bike Friday offerings in person, I'm even more pleased with the quality and features of the Trek folders.

After a couple of weeks of nearly daily commuting on the F600, I can tell you I'm becoming more and more enamored of it. Now, the F400 needs a few tweaks, like replacing the grip shift with rapid-fire, and a few minor add-ons... and it's ready to go!

Roger