Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
Dahon's been around a long time. My mother-inlaw has one gathering dust in a bag. I rode it once. Rather a neat feat of engineering but heavy and not good for much but short shopping trips or very easy sight seeing (like I'd rather just jog). They've updated their line quite a bit lately. For one they've licensed the Richey design but those are still pretty spendy. ...
Actually, I've been looking into Dahon's recent line and they aren't expensive (starting price in $200 range), they aren't heavy (average weight is 25#), and they have a good choice of speed ranges (1 gear thru 21 gears). You might want to check them out.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #30
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Roger.. you know, I didn't really look at folders too much because.. well, they looked funny to me at first. HOWEVER... I did see an all black BF with a MONSTER (must have been 60+ teeth) front gear in Malaysia this winter... the rider was just honking on it! It looked like it had the reduced count spoke wheels... it just looked right. I got home, and was disappointed at the price point of the bikes...

Oh well, still dreaming!
Marc
With some perserverance and checking the usual sources daily, there are still some finds to be had. Like with Airstreams and fiberglass trailers, you just have to work at it, be at the right place at the right time, and have cash in hand. I just missed a couple of really reasonable ones by hours... a two-year old pocket rocket just sold on craigslist for $350... missed that one by a day... I think I was fortunate to get the NWT I found. The problem I had was getting one with the proper length seat mast for my long legs. Used medium sized ones come up pretty often and can be had reasonably priced. I've found that they do sell quickly though.

There's a couple of BF Metros on eBay right now for around $600.

Roger

Old 07-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #31
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Ok folding bike gearheads... THE bike none of us can live without!

here you go:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/185451600.html

Bike Friday "Air Friday" - $1700 (lower haight)

Reply to: sale-185451600@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-07-23, 6:44PM PDT

This is the titanium beam model (check out www.bikefriday.com for more) and normally runs for about $3100. It has the full Ultegra gruppo (hubs, shifters, brakes, crank, derraileur). Sun M14A rims, IRC 20X1 1/8 tires. Comes with a suitcase to pack it in (not the BF trailer model).
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #32
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
I just think old Raleighs are cool. And if my old clunker is any gage the 3spd Sturmney Arch hubs are indeed bullet proof:
My 1951 Raleigh with Dyno hub and working headlight / tail light (note: as found photo... stem and seat are WAY out of adjustment).

-Bernie
Argh. If you lived closer, I'd smack you upside the head with bills of various denominations and relieve you of that particular 40lb of Nottingham steel.

It isn't nice to admit in public, but I've been known to don sandals and a Hawaiian shirt, take the recumbent ("they don't climb" you know) to the hilly part of our county, and go trolling. I always feel bad afterwards, and I'm trying to quit.

Good, well engineered stuff lasts a long time, regardless of its era: http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/

On the folding thing... I expect at least 8-9k miles from the Dahon, but if it collapses after 5K, I won't be too put out.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We've got our regular AT bikes at home but we picked up some folders on vacation because we got tired of loading and unloading them into the suv. We thought we would try these Treks for starters, mine was on sale and Bradley got the next model up. Since then we have added racks. For tooling around and not an event (I did do a century on a used Raleigh mixtee 10 speed) they are fine, probably not up to off road but then neither are we.

I rode Eleanor Luhr's Airstream Birdy bike and the suspension was very nice. We don't have suspension but we do have built in cushioning that years of experience has added.

I think the Trek's are 20" wheels and the Birdys are 16". The Birdy's also fold more compactly than the Treks.

Enough bang for the buck until we know we need more though. This way we will have them with whether we know we are going to use them or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trekfolders.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	23971   Click image for larger version

Name:	birdys.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	23972  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Batavus Folding Bike (from Norway?)

Quote:
I've listed my '51 Raleigh on Craigslist and already have a buyer interested. -Bernie
Well, the '51 Raleigh sold and I just missed out on the two Raleigh 20 folders. Oh well. may end up getting another Breakaway for my son or possibly have a line on a Ti bike with S&S couplers (only a small upgrade from the old Raleigh and no net increase to the bike population )

Anyone heard of these:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/186465592.html

Name:   batavus.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  60.0 KB
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #35
_

. , .
hi bernie....

batavus was purchased, or merged with gazelle bicycle company in 63 or so...
the union didn't work out so 2-3 years later the 2 dutch companies split up again...

interestingly, gazelle, during this merger period produced teh first folder on the dutch market...and it folded differently that most/all other bikes at the time...horizontal vs vertical planes...

these mid 60s-70s bikes were all mostly knock offs of moulton/raleigh designs...very hard to protect patents world wide then...and now too.

the chinese...during mao's time
produced a home product that was an exact imprint of the moultons...
but was made of very poor steel and most are gone now...

this one looks fun.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #36
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
got one!

2air,
Might be interested to know that I just scored the one you posted the link to on ebay Now when my bride finds out I am going to blame it on YOU! for posting the link.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #37
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
when my bride finds out I am going to blame it on YOU! for posting the link. Aaron
all right! way to go aaron!
with a little elbow biogrease and some rust remover, that bike can be a nice compact utility tool...did you notice the handle bars fold too? of course you did...you bought it!

the 3 speed hub probably needs a lube and overhaul...
but for a ben franklin...that a nice buy!

now as for the bride finding out....

IT'S A FOLDER! HIDE IT!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Raliegh Folding Bicycles ~Nice~ Like New!~ - $137

OK, I'm going to contain myself and not buy these two. It appears the Raleigh folders are more common and less expensive that I thought. These even come with travel bags. I don't think these are the famous Raleigh 20; they have 16" wheels.

Name:   Raleigh_folder.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  18.4 KB

Guess I should include the Craigslist link incase someone else has the fevor
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/188598603.html
Still holding out faint hope of the Ti frame with S&S couplers

-Bernie
Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bernie! wanna get them and hold them for me That is a really good deal! I paid that for one!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #40

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Trek F600 available for $590 + shipping... only ridden a few times. located in Tulsa, OK please email if interested..
Old 09-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #41
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Update...

Hello again fellow folding bike affectionados!

Well, it's been a little over two years since I started this thread... time to update a little!

Since last we had this discussion, I thought I'd give you some of my observations about the bikes I had and what I've done since.

First, the power-purple Bike Friday now lives in the Bay Area with a new owner, and the Giant Halfway is now with a new owner in the Los Angeles area.

I couldn't get used to the flex of the Bike Friday. Both the frame and stem had enough that it was a little uncomfortable some times. Couple a vague feel with a short wheelbase and there were occasions when I felt like the bike was going where it wanted, not where I wanted it to go.

The Halfway was just too small for me, and the components on the bike are all both proprietary and (lets be kind) not of the highest quality. It was a great idea, it just wasn't well executed even at the price point they were selling at.

Early this summer I found two Sun EZ-Tad SX tadpole recumbent trikes, and we had a ball with them. They went to the Moraine View Midwest Rally with us this year. They're tough to take along travelling because of their bulk, but they convinced me that I like recumbents!

So, the Sun trikes have both found new homes, both in the Des Moines area!

So... today...

I have looked with some indifference at Trek F600 folders on-line since they came out, but had never seen one in person. I found a NOS one a few months ago at a LBS in Minneapolis for $849, but was hesitant because I really didn't know how much better (or different) I could expect it to be than the Giant Halfway I already had and wasn't happy with. The frameset of the Trek F600 is aluminum and made by Dahon, and the '04 model had Shimano Deore rapid fire shifting and a Deore rear derailleur, Schwalbe Marathons and, except for the stem and frame, generally available off-the-shelf equipment. The '05 and '06 F600s came equipped with SRAM X.7 trigger shifters, and SRAM dual-drive rear derailleur. '06 was the last year for this bike.

Interesting that CY posted above, as I found his ad independently on Craigslist a few weeks ago, and ended up buying his bike from photos after some negotiating. I had still never ridden or seen one in person. I hadn't seen his post here until today.

So, now, there's a story here... this past Spring, I built up a '98 Trek Millenia HT frame that we bought as a complete bike for my wife in 2000. It had grip shift and a twenty-one speed drive train along with a bunch of custom-red-anodized parts that were the rage then. I found a NOS '03 vintage XT rapid-fire group on eBay for about $250 complete, and new Mavic 717 wheels laced to the same vintage XT hubs for $169. I put a Nashbar trekking butterfly bar, Nashbar suspension seatpost, and Nashbar long threaded headset stem, 1.5x26 Bontrager road slicks and Planet Bike Fenders on it. The long and short of it is that I built the frame into a really nice commuter using those parts, and ride it a whole mile and a half round-trip a day to work daily. It's gotten a whopping 130 miles on it so far this summer, just riding to and from work since mid-April.

My wife had a total hip replacement four years ago, and three years ago we bought her a Giant Revive semi-recumbent with a Nexus hub. Other than being heavier than a farm tractor, it was a pretty cool bike. It developed a problem with the wheels and our LBS (local bike sho) couldn't repair it, and Giant no longer had parts, so our LBS said they'd take it on trade on anything we wanted.

I began to look at full recumbents thinking that may be just the ticket for her, but our LBS doesn't carry any right now. One day on a short day trip we stopped into an LBS in Davenport, IA and found two of the last '06 Burley recumbents left in captivity. Bor those of you who don't follow the 'bent world, Burley stopped producing bikes in September of '06. I had no plans of buying one for me, but they had this Lapis Hepcat with XTR and Avid BB7 discs... well, the Hepcat is mine and Laurie has a Jett Creek with SRAM X.9. We got them for used prices!

The Burleys went with us to the East Coast this summer and we had a ball.. the last few days of the trip found us in Washington DC taking the Metro to the Washington Convention Center where Laurie had a conference, and I was free to wander about DC. The Burleys won't do the Metro.

One 95 degree summer afternoon, after trekking miles on foot sightseeing, I began to yearn for one of my folders that I could have taken on the Metro and seen twice the sights in half the time on. Did I mention it was 95*?

I found and bid on an '04 Trek F600 on eBay while in DC, but it was bid up way past what I was comfortable with. Upon our return to Iowa, I found Charles' ad for his, and it now lives with me.

So... after all that... the '04 Trek F600 is what I had hoped both the Giant and Bike Friday would have been. It's a solid framed folder with minimal flex that actually fits me pretty darn well. The seat post could have had one more inch to fit perfectly, but it's close enough that I don't mind it. What's amazing is how high the stem goes!

It now has Planet Bike fenders, a Dahon Arclite rack with a small rack bag with zip out panniers, a Cateye wireless computer, and a couple of Cateye lights gracing it. I also put Ergon GR2 grips and magnesium stubby bar ends on it, which improved the rideability comfort tremendously. The stock seat with built-in handle is actually almost as good as my favorite saddle, the Trek CRZ+ which I have on my Millennia HT, and on the GT RTS-2 dual-suspension mountain bike which I have since given to my 19 year old college-student son. The stock folding pedals are a little hoaky and have been replaced with MKS MT-E EZ pedals with half-clips

The gearing is high enough that the bike is capable of going faster than I'm comfortable with. The short wheelbase remains a little twitchy, and both hands are required to keep it steady, but that's not any different from the other two folders I had.

So, in the Trek F600 I think I have found the Holy Grail of commercial, reasonably priced folders for a guy who's 6'5" tall. Other than the few minor accessories I've added, and the pedal and grip swap-offs, I don't think I could have designed it any more closely for what I wanted in a folder! As I get time in the next few days, I'll post a photo or two of the Trek F600 as I have it set up.

The rest of the story... our LBS, World of Bikes in Iowa City IA took back the Giant Revive and gave us 80% of it's original purchase price toward another bike. Laurie got a Trek 7500 hybrid which she can ride quite nicely, even with her hip replacement, now that it's set up properly. I can't say enough nice things about World of Bikes!

Roger
Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #42

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Trek F600 available for $590 + shipping... only ridden a few times. located in Tulsa, OK please email if interested..
sorry this has been SOLD... the Trek F600 addressed basically all the issues .. you mentioned... very stiff...fairly lightweight... uses quality Shimano 9sp gears... full sized components... in short rode exactly like a full sized bike... 35+ mile rides no problems... Burley trailers are the best! I've towed my kids in excess of 10k miles on two different Burley trailers... mostly behind a early fillet braised Fisher Mountain bike. currently riding a recumbent .... a Lightning F-40 with full fairing... probably my last post here.... unless I find a deal on an Coooool Airstream of course...