Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi,

Just checked the web,
Big Foot, NuWa and Country Coach have their web sites up and running.
Web sites look current, no mention of going out of business...

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Web sites are sometimes hosted by servers not affiliated with the company or on their premises. Pages usually don't go away unless someone affiliated requests them to be dropped or at the end of their subscription when the ISP hosting the pages pulls them for lack of renewal.

Here's a clip from a Canadian newspaper confirming the Bigfoot closure.

B.C. RV maker Bigfoot goes out of business
Downturn in U.S. was death knell for Armstrong manufacturer
Darron Kloster, Victoria Times Colonist
Published: Friday, November 21, 2008
One of Canada's largest recreational vehicle manufacturers has closed its doors after 31 years, with sources citing the "unprecedented stress" of economic conditions in the United States.
Bigfoot Industries, based in Armstrong, ceased to exist Friday, with a spokesman for the company saying only the company had "officially closed."
The plant in the Okanagan, about 65 kilometres north of Kelowna, made fibreglass-moulded fifth-wheel trailers, holiday trailers and truck campers and had about 200 employees - with about one-third of those already laid off in June.

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Wondering when the economy recovers if many of these RV industry folks will return with new companies and new innovative designs and concepts. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Wondering when the economy recovers if many of these RV industry folks will return with new companies and new innovative designs and concepts. Will be interesting to see what happens.
I have absolutely no doubt in time there will be more innovative startups. Right now there's way too many manufacturers offering identical products built for yesterdays market. Time for a shakeup.

The masses of retiring baby boomers will ensure the RV market is not going to die anytime soon.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
The masses of retiring baby boomers will ensure the RV market is not going to die anytime soon.
Though I tend to agree that new innovations will most likely come from the shakeups today, I'm not entirely sure the baby boomers can ensure anything in face of $4/gal gas again.

A number of boomers have caught on that selling of their house (if they still can nowadays) and buying a depreciating six figure MoHo to spend the golden years on the road wasn't such a smart idea.

Though now oil is low, the damage has already been done and amplified by credit crunches, housing bubble bursts, etc. With over a trillion dollars in debt and growing, the US Gov is running out of places to borrow and many jobs continue to move overseas making the US a service oriented economy.

The good old days may return again, but this recent downturn may be the catalyst for change in spending habits and patterns of a good portion of the present generations who will drive the economies for the next 40 years or more. Many of the mature crowd that I know who lived through the Great Depression forever changed the way they thought as a result of that event, even when the booming 50s came by, these folks were a LOT more cautious. As it was then, it is becoming now a significant global problem, effecting all worldwide economies.... history could again repeat itself.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Hi Silver; I won't disagree with any of your comments except to say that whatever the dire economic consequences of living beyond our means for the past three or four decades, it won't be a repeat of the Depression. I think we are in for a particularly bad year(s). I, for one, am just old enough to WANT to see our younger generations be force fed some "financial attitude adjustment" which is something they've never had to face. But although the standard of living for most of is in North America is going to take a big hit while the Global standard of living improves, life will go on.

MY DW and I are just over 10 years from retirement, and even at this stage it's obvious now that my overly optomistic thirty-something thinking of retiring early, living in a nice condo 6 months of the year, Florida for the winter and RV'ing all over in a $200K Class A isn't going to be in the cards.

That has been replaced by a more realistic dream of a reasonably comforable retirement in an apartment and touring all over North America 6 months a year in a used Airstream pulled by a minivan or it's future equivalent. And you know, there's nothing wrong with that!

I do expect the nature of RV's will change, but not the nature of RVing.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Here is a list I compiled of closed rv companies, rvbusiness.com was the main source.

Any more??

Ameri Camp
Teton Homes
Bigfoot
Weekend warrior
Sun Valley dealer or manufacturer?
NuWa
Starcraft
Alfa Lesiure
Western RV
Pilgrim
National RV
Country Coach??
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
Here is a list I compiled of closed rv companies, rvbusiness.com was the main source.

Any more??

Ameri Camp
Teton Homes
Bigfoot
Weekend warrior
NuWa
Starcraft
Alfa Lesiure
Western RV
Pilgrim
National RV
Country Coach??
Sunline (closed about 2 years ago)

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post

Any more??

Ameri Camp
Teton Homes
Bigfoot
Weekend warrior
NuWa
Starcraft
Alfa Lesiure
Western RV
Pilgrim
National RV
Country Coach??
As far as I know, Country Coach is still in business. It was sold out of National RV before National went BK.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Hi Silver; I won't disagree with any of your comments except to say that whatever the dire economic consequences of living beyond our means for the past three or four decades, it won't be a repeat of the Depression.
I hope yer right. As much as I don't want to think it, I do have to consider it a possibility, even if it is a mild depression. I say that only because it seems like a lot of deregulation has happened and those regulations in some areas were set up to stop this kind of stuff going on. There use to be oil futures regulations, thanks to Enron, those were lifted and we all saw what happened to oil/gas prices...even as demand went down and supply went up, let alone the things that allowed Enron to do what they did. They just had a segment on this very thing on 60 minutes this evening. Banking, investment firms, etc...all regulated then deregulated and again, we've all seen first hand where that path led.

350 billion handed out and few banks are flowing credit.

The fact is that the lists that were just recently posted will most likely grow 2 fold by the time this is over. Fleetwood is in DIRE straights right now. Fleetwood goes away, that is going to be just another nail in the RV industry coffin. They have already from what I understand closed 2 plants. Winnebago could be right behind them. Thor, parent company of Airstream from what I recall has no debt and is somewhat diversified, but even Thor, with no debt might also wind up shuttering some brands should this continue.

I guess my point is that all the ingredients for more than just a very bad recession are there. How bad will it get is really open to debate....throw in high energy prices which have a ripple effect on other sectors, but a significant impact on the RV and auto businesses mixed in with little to no credit flowing, consumers with an average credit card debt of $12k, no way to use their homes as ATMs, and we've got real issues.

What I find odd and I know it's just probably me, is that recession signs were all around us even as far back as 12 or more months ago and few in Government wanted to say the "R" word, and by the time they did, it was already too late.

What is being done now is similar to what FDR did with the "New Deal" and the WPA program. Though it did help, it alone didn't solve the problem, WWII did....and I shudder at the thought if history repeats itself and the next administrations proposals go into effect and have the results that FDR's admin had with the New Deal and WPA....and one just has to go to CNN or read any news outlet's info to see that the Middle East is just coming unglued.

By all indications 2009 is going to be worse than 2008 and even the next administration is now saying openly they "hope" this works and that there will be sacrifices by all. The plain truth is that even the US Gov isn't sure this is going to work....and guess what, the US Gov has a debt that is now in the trillions, which if they were rated like business, they'd be junk status. Banks fail, I can't see where any $$$ would come to shore up FDIC...I mean even Social Security has been robbed for decades...the fund is dry and they are in essence taking from Peter to give to Paul, and borrowing like drunken sailors in a port of call from China.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this all works out and doesn't get much worse. The manufacturing sector is in REAL trouble and that represents about 4 or 5 out of every 10 jobs out there. In this case I would be VERY happy to be wrong here about all of it and that I'm gonna wake up and realize it was all just a bad dream.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
As a retiree and an owner of a six-figure depreciating RV, I did so with my eyes wide open. We only go around once in this life and to worry about investments etc. at our age is a crime. My children know both my wife and I have worked very hard over the years to send them to college and other things. We recieved a statement from our investment firm the other day that showed our portfolio had lost 41% of its value and to not enjoy life and spend what is left is a mistake.
I hope to die the same way I came into this life. barenaked and broke.

bfred is offline   Reply With Quote