Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Not Fun and Not Airstream Life Related

This is my vote that this thread be dropped. I have no problem with discussions on this topic and believe there should be a lot more. But not on the Airstream Forum.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #72
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
I vote to bring this thread before a "Death Panel".

Lyle

Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
While we do have fantastic technologies as Dr. Zigi points out we still lag behind many countries in life expectancy and birth survival rates. Why is that?
Let me answer the question, "why is that", from the perspective of a lady I knew who had specialized in neonatology. (Care of newborn infants--in other words, among other things, preventing those infant mortalities.)

"When I got into this field I imagined that I would be saving babies and earning the lifelong gratitude of young parents. Instead I spend most of my time trying to save the products of spontaneous abortions by drug-addicted mothers who never even come to see their kid in the neonatal intensive care unit."

It's not access to medical care. Every poor kid in the US is covered by Medicaid. Maybe the problem is that many of the poorest mothers in this country can still afford illegal drugs, don't get proper prenatal care, and don't care when they do have a baby. Think that might have something to do with it?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i just wanted to tell everyone that i had my first questionnaire for this this morning. the staff was shocked that i knew about it! i didn't see the point of the info since they already have on file having paid the bills for prior treatment. i guess it is to get the docs into the digital system. it will keep lots of folks busy inputting redundant information. with quite a few doctors it would be a lot easier if they just put a bar code on my forehead. i think i'll just fill one out and make 25 copies to hand out!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
‪Big Brother Pizza Order‬‏ - YouTube
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Toastie, Its getting there!

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
Toastie, Its getting there!
Its already here, check this out, Smart Meters..........

‪Smart Meters‬‏ - YouTube
Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
Sorry, that video on the smart meter is just a little to paranoid for me. I do have a smart meter. I asked for it, to keep the guys out of my yard (I have dogs and don't want to keep them pined in). I do run a business from my home, and you know what, I do file it an pay taxes for it. Just what is fair and right. So I don't have to worry about them finding out this. The other thing about this is, I would have to believed that I have an interesting enough life for someone to care about watching it. But no, sorry, I'm boring, so why would anyone care about my electric other then to bill me? So, if this would get me off of murder (since I would never commit one) by showing police that I was home, then it's a plus isin't it? And for the pot growers, well rumor has it that it will be legalized soon.

But let me add one last thing. Yes, this has become boring, paranoid, non Airstream related. So please, kill this thread (whops, I guess that make me big brother now).
Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I can't believe the guy in the video didn't see the black helicopters and the 2 guys in camouflage on the roof with the binoculars recording what he was saying.

Sure they know when I turn on my electric toothbrush, hey idiot it is battery operated. I guess his tin foil hat fell off and is on the floor.

I would be more inclined to believe him if he had a sniffer and posted the traffic the 1 watt transmitter was putting out.

I guess he thinks once the consumption information from a standard meter is entered into the billing database excess consumption is not flagged, so if you do an illegal activity in the privacy of your own home it is permissible.

If you have a smart meter and want to look at the data here is how.
EMA Electricity Meter Analyzer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Smart meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you do a search for NEM12 and NEM13 you can see the file formats of the data the meters capture, not much except consumption and peaks, of course the headers identify the meter and a few other things same information they already have on file if you have a standard meter. You can set the interval of the reads and such but I see no way they know what you are turning on, to do that the device you turn on would have to have an Id code or an address much like a MAC address which is transmitted back to the meter, it will record load so if you are running grow light in the attic you may get caught.

I think this guy is a laid off meter reader.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
well maybe, or maybe just growing pot in his attic.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
Oh, wait, I figured it out. He's growing weed in his attic, so he plans on murdering his neighbors, so they can't tell anyone. He is also afraid of them legalizing the industry, which would mean he would have to declare his home business and pay taxes on it.

Now this makes this thread more fun.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it would be too hot to grow weed in the attic. The basement or that extra bedroom would be better. Then have some houseplants in the living room under a grow light for when the feds come and tell them that's what is using the electricity along with the A/C and oxygen for grandma.

Gene
Old 07-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #83

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm amazed that the guy in the SmartMeter video wasn't terrified to spend that long without his tinfoil hat. He should have been worried about the mind control rays getting through without that foil Faraday helmet.

The 2 differences smartmeters make is that they show time of day as well as total consumption, and they can "read" the meters without having someone look at the meter directly with either wireless or data-over-powerline transmissions.

Yes, knowing the time-of-day usage tells a little more about your usage, but it doesn't tell them WHAT you're using. It won't see a difference between a 1500 watt microwave, a 1500 watt hair dryer or 1500 watts of lighting that comes on at once.

Law enforcement already uses electricity usage to identify grow houses. Whether or not you think that's a good thing is a personal opinion, but the smart meter isn't going to make that much of a difference there.

This wacko needs to move in next door to the woman in New Mexico who sued her neighbor claiming that his cell phone and wireless network were killing her. I guess she needs a tinfoil Faraday helmet too.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
Okay, now the heavy stuff. Yes, I agree about using the information regardless. And that is exactly my original point. As I said in my first post. The information and the way it is collected really hasn't changed. Doctors have been using EMR, EHR records for year. Just now the Medicad, Medicare system is compensating doctors to get a uniform format, nothing else. If Big brother really wanted this information, they simply would ask your doctor, and I am sure they would give it (you know, to avoid the tax audit).