Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Big Boston...

Hi All....
Jus a quick hello from BOSTON....goin home 2morrow, kinda SAD realy as I kinda gettin used 2 the place, it's a Beautiful City....
Met up with Vern his son Nathan, spent a few hours chattin abt what Guy's chat abt, & the difference abt Yr side & our side....of the pond...more later...Chris.....
Old 01-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

boston

Hi Chris,
Glad to have you over here. I hope your trip was fun. What kind of things did you see? If I can offer suggestions let me know.
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Did you get fingerprinted ...& so on...

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
SO GOOD...

Hi All...
WOW...what a real cool place, sadly we head home in a few hours time...(sigh)...but U kn...I guess I realy enjoyed the trip, I saw ONE Airstream, parked in a yard at a place named Swampscott...jus outside Salem...I was lookin out of the train window...and she jus appeared...it was only a SMALL one, in fair order. We done the Witch place...( wanted 2 upgrade the Missus...but the broom sticks were still last years models....)...Maybe Next time...lol.
These last few days have passed so quickly, & the weather was so CRUEL 2 us, we had 2 days of ice-age conditions...I almost caught frostbite...my eyelids got real sore, and I had 2 seek out a WELDER...as it was real Brass Monkey Weather....OUCH !!!....
My D/Ds & D/W & Son, all hit the stores....and I got 2 carry the loads bk 2 the HOTEL..no wonder I was asked along....
As 4 the Airport Security, well there WAS a HUGE noticable personal with all the tackle...but we NEVER got the printing...or the Eye scans....but we were asked a LOT of Questions....but we did'nt mind at all..infact I glad they did...It was a little scarey thoug 2 say the least...but the Guys were VERY polite, speaking of...we only met one RUDE GUY...& he worked at Hard Rock...so we jus did'nt go ahead with our purchases...& my D/W saw the Manager...but it was too late by then...as the Guy had already insulted My Youngest D/D...abt needin a slightly LARGER T-shirt....
Tell U what....he IS a very lucky cookie indeed...'cos if I had heard him....What U say the Boston Police r like ???....
Anyhow...apart from that I'm sayin a 9 out of 10...& YES I realy wanna come on over agn...what a wonderful place, a LOT different from FL:...as I saw the REAL America...the REAL people, we were made so WELCOME where ever we went....
" Thank U Boston " ...Chris.....
Old 01-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Have a safe trip home, I think you're gonna luv the warm English climate

Hart
Old 01-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Great~

...Chris.....
Hey man..it was so nice of you and, the family to invite us down to share part of your vacation with y'all..
We both enjoyed the 'man to man' talk abt cars, etc~
You got a really nice family to let you tag along...lol
We enjoyed meeting all of your family..did we miss one D/D?
Sorry abt the brutal wind and, the cold temp~
This weather is,after all, not FL..Gawd was it cold~!~ And the wind...whew.
I see that you spot'd an Airstream~! fantastic..Maybe on one of your future trips back to USA, we'll have ours back up here from VA ..Take you on a tour, fer sure~!
Let me know when you get the pictures back..Perhaps you can post them in an email? (Hope we didn't break ur camera..)
Again, we enjoyed meeting you and, your lovely family..
Be sure to remember us to them, would you?
Have a safe trip back home..Come again`!
ciao
T7
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Wet...

Hi '53...& ALL...
Hi All...Right now is a very BAD time... bk here 2 find the landing FLOODED...water enjoying splashing down the stairs, 3 ceilings dammaged...the holding tank in the loft has nice split in it...where the overflow pipe is connected, awaiting the emergency plumber...almost 3 hrs now...gonna cost abt £275, to get it sorted...that's NOT includin the home decor & carpets...etc, jus hope the insurance covers it...right now wish we aLL bk in Boston...
'53...It's bn a real pleasure here too 4 us, I'll, write asap, I'm gettin wet here...SORRY....write U later...OK....Gotta tell U abt the hotel diner service OR lack of it....Chris.....
Old 01-24-2004, 12:33 AM   #8
qqq
4 Rivet Member

I saw a bunch of "cowboy" plumbers on ITV or SKY a few days ago, caught on hidden camera...not a nice sight....I hope yours is not one of them

Hart
Old 01-24-2004, 03:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re Cowboys.....

Hi qqq...& All.....
Kn what U mean..we get similar shows over here, some consumer Guys unfix a good unit, & then call out the Mr Fix-it's....U realy gotta SEE IT 2 believe it....anyhow, THANX 4 the warning...btw...I'm STILL waiting like a LEMON...2 get my tank fixed....1pm 2day....then I gonna GO BANANAS......should have bn here at 5pm fri:....
I saw a FEW Cowboys in Boston....but One of the Best sights we ALL saw was the VIEW from the Prudential Tower...we walked around the 50th floor, & almost saw the rest of the world.....sadly I never saw an A/S from there....If anyone goes 2 "B"...U GOTTA go & see 4 Yr self...we had a good clear few hours there, awesome is NOT what I'yd call it...LOL....talk abt takin Yr breath away...." WOW "...Chris.....
Old 01-24-2004, 03:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Sorry

Chris,
Sorry to hear abt the urban renewal project that went on while you were away.
Further more:
Now you say that, you don't like the indoor pool?? Put on your flippers and, try it first...
Seriously, that's the worst nightmare. I’m real sorry that you had that waiting for you upon your arrival.
How was it this happened? Cold weather?
You'll have to clue me in abt the service (or the lack of it) at the diner.
I thought the gal we had serving our dinner was exception!~I know the company was~!!
Good luck
`ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
T7...

Hi T7...
Yep we ALL had a GREAT time....I told U my " Girlies " were a little shy....infact one is so shy she ONLY comes out at NIGHT....I hardly see her myself...BUT I sure DO hear her when her CAR don't run right...then she ALL over me like a dose of measles....LOL....
Lisa told me 2 send U both her "BESTEST WISHES"...that's the one who looks out 4 me, & always buyin me things...she's always there...U kn kinda special, I kn one should treat 'em ALL the same.....but what can U do if they hibernate all day & only speak in passin....still I luv 'em all the same, I truely DO...lol.
Because the weather was so cold, it kinda worn us out a little, we did'nt expect it 2B so cruel & harsh, & it made us all a little restless, 2 say the least....I kn my forehead is STILL thawing out....& U jus don't wanna kn where I got frost bite...LOL...Gosh IT was COLD...
The Hotel was GREAT...but the restaurant was the PITS....we had a bit of a do with them, the room service was useless...how can one person get a simple order wrong...3 nights running...so we gave it up and made sure we filled up in the City...& ended up ordering Freedom-Fries at night...even that was a nightmare...the resturant staff kinda thought we were from another planet or something...NOT earth....as they had NO idea what we wanted 2 eat....& what we ended up with was welll..U try 2 imagin...U tell me ????....kinda funny tastin sauce with lumps in....& plastic tastin tubes...& IF I ever TASTE another TOMATO like that agn...I'll SCREAM....So in the end we gave up....
Shame realy, as I say the Hotel IS great, & YES, we WOULD stay there agn, ( Nicola stayed there 5 times now )...I loved the breakfast, Waffles, banana & Maple juice...
Thank's T7, & Nathan 4 puttin Yr selves out 2 visit us, we all realy enjoyed it, as soon as we get sorted out here, I'll ask D/D 2 put on some Pics:...OK...( may b a week )...
Gotta sort out this plumber...GRRRrrrr...Chris.....
Old 01-24-2004, 03:57 AM   #12
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Chris,

That show was part of the morning news on UK TV , seen all over Europe on Sky digital (digibox)

Hart
Old 01-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Cool mr. vagabonder

sooo...chris...what is going to be your next vacation spot?(plumbing school?) just kidding...hope your nightmare is over soon....my heart goes out to you....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Water Woes

We went to a lakeside campsite a few years ago for a long relaxing weekend. When we returned, approx. 1:00am, our lights were out and something just didn't feel right. Then I started to realize our 1st floor ceiling was on the floor, the stairs looked like a cascade fountain in a 4-star hotel, etc.... The upstairs water-closet (bath in USA ) had been overflowing the whole time. Over $50K in damage & 4 months to fix!!!!
My heart goes out to y'all, but keep a stiff upper lip and see it through.
-Ed
BTY: My Dad was in the Navy in WW2 & I was born at the Navel Hosp. in Chelsea (suburb of Boston). Lived there until I graduated college in '72. Great place to visit...but too cold for me!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re POOL...

Hi All...
SCREAM.....Finally got the scuba diver round 2 check out the damage...GREAT GUY...full of Bull S***...told ME what I told him...the headder tank had rusted thru...U kn those fountains where the little fellow is taking a leak....well I searched our attic 4 him...but I guess he was an invisible one....as I could'nt c him in the water tank...but he was there...as he was PEEIN all over my feet...LOL...I stuffed the hole with cloth & tape...it's held ok, now the tank is that old, it dare NOT b moved, so he gonna put in a new one & new pipes ECT:...at around £ 350. then there is the celing & the,& the well Ed & Debbie kinda kn...they bn there too, sorry 2 hear that Guys...We passed through Chelsea the other day goin 2 Salem on the train...WOW it was a great day out...APART from the MINUS 14 COLD...My brother saw a poster bk in '63..." Join the NAVY...see the WORLD..."...he spent 13 years in a SUBMARINE....LOL...
Naturaly I got a STIFF upper lip...I'm a BRIT, & proud of it too...but it's still smart in the mornin...LOL...
Say T7...the Diner REFUSED 2 us room service...as my D/W complained abt the awful food...& got a rude comment in reply...well U met my " Baby-LISA " she works 4a American firm..T K MAXX over here in the UK...she handles customers ALL day long...Maybe Yr first impression was " What an angelic little Darling...so CUTE..." DON'T b fooled...she given me a good ear bashing many a time...( BLESS HER )....well she stood up 4 the D/W..& all hell broke out...Ooops !!!. I had 2 go down & sort it out...I jus said ..."" People like us.....KEEP people like U, in a job ""
& reminded them that Good manners had NOT gone out of fashion...& politeness is STANDARD from where I come from...& left it at that.....
Well despite the NOT-SO-GOOD times...I admit I WOULD like 2 Re-Visit BOSTON....& her cute little outer areas, as 4 the BIG DIG...well I think it will b good 4 the city in the long run...but as T7 says, if it ends...a lot of folk will B out of work...FOA Schawrtz were closin down when we were there, the Orlando branch has already closed, now that is SAD...as I luv TOYS...( another story )...lol, on the whole...it was a GREAT trip 4 us all...everything was "spot on "...as we say over here, so 2 everyone who " PUT-UP " with us...a BIG THANK'S...well I guess I gotta go wring out a few more carpets....Grrr, curse, OUCH & ouch agn...where is that UMBRELLA...& will someone get the DOG out of the big puddle at the bottom of the stairs....it's not the ruddy seaside....U kn, I could have sworn I jus SAW a LOBSTER.......Sorry Guys...if I DON'T LAUGH...I'LL CRY....Chris.....