Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Big Bend National Park

We will be spending some time in Texas in Mid Feb. starting at South Padre Isl.for a couple of weeks and moving on to Big Bend. Are there any sujestions on how many days it takes to see the park, and any other thoughts on what to do there.
Thanks
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
We visited BB last Spring and can tell you: There are a lot of beautiful (desert) acres and it is really spread out! We stayed at the West entrance at Terlingua/Study Butte at the little campground closest to the Study Butte Mall. We stayed the first night at the other campground next to the restaurant, but it was crowded and very dusty. The one next to the mall is smaller and not as dusty. If you arrive early (before 11am), just take an open space and contact the smanager in the afternoon. He likes to sleep late and is a very cranky old codger if you wake him up, but very nice after he's gotten up and had a few cups of coffee.

We stayed 4 days and saw about everything we needed to see. Once inside the park there are roads going to all the different areas. After about 4 days it all starts looking the same. If you do the canyon float trip, that takes an extra day as well as seeing the surrounding area outside of the park. There are many parking overlooks where you can see a lot of beauty without having to walk great distances. The drive down along the river by the river campground is worth taking in for the canyon wall views. There is really not much to do there other than sightseeing.

Two unexpecteds for us:

One, we were there in March and it was already getting into the 90's.

Two, carry enough food to tide you over for your stay as the dining out opportunities there are virtually non-existant.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We camped there in mid-October 2007, on our way back from the balloon fest in Albuquerque. We stayed in the park, first at Cottonwood CG, which we accessed from the West entrance, at Study Butte. This is dry camping only, primitive, and there were very few folks around. I live in the country, but I have never seen dark nights and stars the way we saw them there. There was a host turkey - very friendly but she lost interest when we refused to feed her. We stayed two nights - hot as hades, but dry heat, eh?

We then relocated to the Rio Grande Village CG on the East side, mostly for the chance to hookup and turn on the AC. Whew. We hiked and saw the sights and bought contraband (shhh) and left a day early because it was just too hot. But the park was starkly beauriful. Did I mention that the latter CG was hosted by road runners? We also heard rumors of javelinas close by, but didn't see them.

I'd recommend camping in the park, and day-tripping out to Terlingua - now there is a place at one of the ends of the earth.

As far as things to do - you have to be able to entertain yourself in one of the last great places.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Steven and Susan

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Carmel , California
However long you stay, definitely go. BB is spectacular. This time of year, your chances are better of actually catching the desert in bloom, which is incredible. I highly recommend a visit to the gage hotel in Marathon, which is at the eastern (northern?) entrance to the park.

You should try to visit the tinajes (sp?) east of the basin. They're wells fed by hot springs. Just the ticket after a hike. We've seen javelina, bear (in the basin) coyote, fox, and had a loaf of bread stolen right off our picnic table by vultures.

If you visit in mid Feb, be advised that Lajitas hosts the Chihuahua Desert Classic, a mountain bike race that draws thousands. Camping space is at a premium within a 100 mile radius. Not sure if they still run the race, but it's work checking before you go.
ajanib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Steven and Susan

Carmel , California
Just did some checking; the mountain bike race is in Lajitas on the weekend of the 16th. It's worth seeing too, but you'll want to call ahead for a spot or be prepared to boondock. When I did that race in the late 90's, camping spots were usually reserved a year in advance for that weekend.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Big Bend "not to miss" sight

The Prada store in Marfa. Take a camera.
Attached Images

Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Steven and Susan

Carmel , California
And the Marfa Mystery Lights!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
TIG welder, 30 years expe

1973 25' Tradewind
Wilson , New York
I was there years ago, came in from Marathon. You want to make sure you have a full load or gas then. At least when I was there, there just ain't no fuel in the park, and it is quite a round trip back out to Marathon.
BMW Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Big Bend is gorgeous - and remote. The best campground in the park has no facilities, so my recommendation would be to go prepared to boondock. Load up on food, water, and bring a generator. Prepare like you are a two hour drive to the nearest facility - because you are. And include a trip into Study Butte. A few pics from our Thanksgiving trip in 2005... The Havelena's are friendly - not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218 (Small).JPG
Views:	156
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	52144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221 (Small).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	52145  

Name:	IMG_0305 (Small).JPG
Views:	153
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	52146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313 (Small).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	52147  

Name:	IMG_0327 (Small).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	52148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366 (Small).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	52149  

Name:	IMG_0381 (Small).JPG
Views:	156
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	52150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417 (Small).JPG
Views:	166
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	52151  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks everyone BB sounds great. I did think that the park had one place that had hookups? We don't mind BDing though.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Where's the lynx? There's pictures of him/her at the Rio Grande Village CG general store. But we saw him in person when we were there. Had to do a double take when we first came upon him/her.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I remember Big Bend well, from back in 1969. You don't have to hike too far to go into places that you would swear that no man has ever set foot in before (but don't do it without asking about smuggler's trails beforehand). I remember the burro ride across the Rio Grande into Boquillas, Mexico for an afternoon of stool riding at the cantina - it was actually a round trip and it cost 50 cents. I also remember the store at Study Butte with the big sign that said "Beer - $1.70 per six pack or $1.60 if you can prove you're 21". It was a great place to catch rattlesnakes out on the road at night and the extra funds from collecting them helped a poor college student pay for a semester of college. It is as close as you can get to wilderness in the lower 48.

Another good place to visit in the region is the Fort Davis State Park.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Best route to Big Bend?

BB sounds like a great place to visit!

Any suggestions for the best route from Corpus Christi?

We're pulling our '96 34' . . .
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Cool

I haven't been on it for quite some time but I used to take US 90 out of San Antonio to either Marathon or Alpine, and then turn south.

Try to get some road information before you take it because this route isn't at the edge of the world, but you can see it from there.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
Thanks everyone BB sounds great. I did think that the park had one place that had hookups? We don't mind BDing though.
There is a "campground" that has facilities. It is literally a parking lot with water and electricity - no more, no less. To go all that way and be surrounded by such beautiful sights, it would seem a shame to stay there (right next to the "store") in a parking lot.

Originally, we had reservations at the campgound with service, but as soon as we saw the boondocking campsites, it was a no-brainer, as long as you are prepared.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Since the fallout from 9-11 there is no more ferrying over to Boquillas. The little Mexico town has about dried up now. Used to be several hundred people making a living catering to tourists, now maybe 100 people that try to sell contriband across the river at Boquillas Canyon, and the town is closed up.

When I was down 3 years ago Thanksgiving, there was 3 Mexican nationals sitting on the bank of the Mexican side, with a burro tied nearby to cross the Rio Grande. They were watching a table of walking sticks priced at $20 each and a pickle jar to put your money into.
We told them we were gonna wait for the January sales.....lol.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
PM (pat) Big Bend sounds like a great place for us to visit. What were the temps in October, 90's? Hotter?

BTW, we were at the Balloon Fiesta with the FCU. Were you there with them and us or at the Region 11 Rally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
We camped there in mid-October 2007, on our way back from the balloon fest in Albuquerque. We stayed in the park, first at Cottonwood CG, which we accessed from the West entrance, at Study Butte. This is dry camping only, primitive, and there were very few folks around. I live in the country, but I have never seen dark nights and stars the way we saw them there. There was a host turkey - very friendly but she lost interest when we refused to feed her. We stayed two nights - hot as hades, but dry heat, eh?

We then relocated to the Rio Grande Village CG on the East side, mostly for the chance to hookup and turn on the AC. Whew. We hiked and saw the sights and bought contraband (shhh) and left a day early because it was just too hot. But the park was starkly beauriful. Did I mention that the latter CG was hosted by road runners? We also heard rumors of javelinas close by, but didn't see them.

I'd recommend camping in the park, and day-tripping out to Terlingua - now there is a place at one of the ends of the earth.

As far as things to do - you have to be able to entertain yourself in one of the last great places.

Pat

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
At FCU Balloon Rally

Don,
Pat's Airstream has the red awnings. They were parked right next to us. See picture.
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
PM (pat) Big Bend sounds like a great place for us to visit. What were the temps in October, 90's? Hotter?

BTW, we were at the Balloon Fiesta with the FCU. Were you there with them and us or at the Region 11 Rally?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0591sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	52219  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
S. Padre + Big Bend

Allen,
Feb. is an excellent time. Weather is comfortable and the Texas Blue Bells will be in bloom. The best views and experiences are always when boondocking. We did both of these locations late Feb-early Mar., 2001.

At S. Padre, I recommend camping right on the beach.

In Big Bend, I recommend Cottonwood campground.

Pre 9/11 you could visit Mexico via rowboat for $1.

See pictures for all of the above. Lots of good hiking in BB and beachcombing on Padre. Have fun.
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
We will be spending some time in Texas in Mid Feb. starting at South Padre Isl.for a couple of weeks and moving on to Big Bend. Are there any sujestions on how many days it takes to see the park, and any other thoughts on what to do there.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carol_texas_blue_bells.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	52220   Click image for larger version

Name:	avion_carol_explorer_beach.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	52221  

Name:	rio_grande_in_distance.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	52222   Click image for larger version

Name:	cottonwood_campground.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	52223  

Name:	backdoor_entrance_to_mexico.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	52224  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yep - red awnings and red truck = that's us. That was a great time for us - we met so many people I'm still trying to keep them straight.

RE Cottonwood: You have to be serious about boondocking there, as no generators are permitted. Not sure about the Rio Grande CG.

As for temps in Oct, we caught a hot spell - temps in the upper 90's. Don't think that is typical, though.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote