Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
BB sounds like a great place to visit!

Any suggestions for the best route from Corpus Christi?

We're pulling our '96 34' . . .
Try the route from I-37 to Robstown/to Alice on 44, then on 59 past Encinal to 83.

Follow 83 to Carrizo Springs and pick up 277 to Del Rio. From there, all the way on 90.

Otherwise, 37 to San Antonio, and then US-90.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thanks Rednax - we're pulling out of Portland Sunday AM - wanted to see more of Texas besides the view from I-10 as we head back west.

Any "hard climbs" on this route? We figure if 18 wheelers travel on a road, so can we with our overall length of 57'!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #23
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Allen,
Feb. is an excellent time. Weather is comfortable and the Texas Blue Bells will be in bloom. Jerry
Thems are Bluebonnets, not Blue bells. Blue Bell is the ice cream... Great Photos, Jerry. Sounds like a nice trip.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
We will be spending some time in Texas in Mid Feb. starting at South Padre Isl.for a couple of weeks and moving on to Big Bend. Are there any sujestions on how many days it takes to see the park, and any other thoughts on what to do there. Thanks
Well, here we are in mid-Feb., hope this isn't too late... Depending on how you like solitude and nature will be the determining factor on how long it takes to see Big Bend... Used to be a couple of outfits that would do horseback camping trips with a chuck wagon staffed with a chef (yup) and a hired musician or two - and not just any musician, but some well known ones. Do some trips down the Rio Grande, too... 'Course, it twern't cheap neither...

Then, some Mexican's on the other side of the river started taking some pot-shots with a .22 at the folks floating down the river and that pretty much stopped those trips.

If you have time constraints, 3-4 days. Then check out Ft, Davis, Marfa, Marathon & Alpine (not even going to get into the Terlingua chili cookoff & other "attractions").

Marfa has become a hollywood hangout. Used to be the only claim to fame was the Marfa lights (which some folks claim to see more than others, depending on choice of beverages/substances). Worth going to, though.

Now Marfa hosts all sorts of hip thaings from gallery's to restaurants to resorts... and famous faces waiting to be seen. Brought some prosperity to the area.

Ft. Davis has... well, the old cavalry fort & McDonald Observatory as well as some incredible countryside (yes, you can go on tours of the observatory & even look-see). VERY nice state park there (Ft.Davis State Park) with full hookups and even a state run hotel called the Indian Lodge - have to check that out - a must see. Several really nice old, restored hotels, too in town. One of my most favorite places to go...

Marathone has a couple of streets, used to have a nice bar (nice meaning real western & not the franchise version) and a cool hotel.

Alpine is home of Sul Ross state Univ... yeah, I'm native and it still takes a minute to register... they do have a good ag program. Interesting little town in the alps of Texas.

If you love the west, wide open BIG skies and independence, you'll love it out there.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
Does anyone want to hear from me? Look at where I am at.

If you really want to enjoy your stay, spend at least a week. There is so much to see. We have the darkest skies in North America. There is really so much wild life out here that would amaze you.

The best place to eat down here is Rio Bravo, On FM 170 going west, and they have great Mexican Food. In the ghost town, you have the Starlight Theater, great food too. Monday is toofer night. You get two for the price of one. They have good buffalo burgers. Steaks are good also.

Lajitas is now under new ownership and they are making some changes. Nice RV park, Pro Golf Course, 4 star resturants, and the Mayor of the town is still a beer drinking goat.

Make sure you fill up before you head out of Alpine, or Marathon. You will not find any gas until you get to the park or Study Butte.

Big Bend Motor Inn is a nice place to park your rig if you want full hookup, but the water is not that great. The last I heard they are on their own well and it is hard and not so tasty. They have a resturant there, but have really funny hours. It is a little like nursing home food. Kind of "bla". They have gas, diesel, small store.

Propane you can get at the Study Butte Mall. They have a small store with good selection for the area. You can't miss it. They have the only stop light in town.

Well, Study Butte is not really a town. It is a Butte. Terlingua is the town. Enough of the history lesson.

Anyway, The nights are cool right now, getting into the 30's at night, 60-70's in the day.

No problem with pulling as long as your rig can pull good grades. Some hills are long and winding. So use some good judgement and you will be fine.

If you want more information, just PM me and I will get back with you. See where we live to the left.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
And watch out for...

Pyrates!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0223.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	54633  
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Pyrates!

Yeah, this guy had a contest to name his boat he built. Can't remember, but I thought...Someone with way too much time on his hands.

But that is why we love Terlingua!

Viva Terlingua!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up Bb

My first trip to BB was after the 2007 Balloon Fiesta and I'm pretty sure I'll do it again after the 2008 balloon fiesta. I can only echo the message in this thread. The best camping is to boondock with plenty of supplies. If you are not into rough beauty coupled with lots of wildlife, don't bother
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #29
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet
I can only echo the message in this thread. The best camping is to boondock with plenty of supplies. If you are not into rough beauty coupled with lots of wildlife, don't bother
Sorry to disagree. Ft. Davis state park has full hookups and is very nice - has great facilities. Great base station to do some cool day trips and then return to desert "civilization". Dang, they even have cable TV!

Boondocking is a good way to get acquainted with the area and immerse yourself in the solitude. Then again, so is the state park. We like the hiking and exploring ala natural... but seeing the area and all the different towns around there, well, nothing beats a nice, long shower in the evening after hot days exploring!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
daggone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet
My first trip to BB was after the 2007 Balloon Fiesta and I'm pretty sure I'll do it again after the 2008 balloon fiesta. I can only echo the message in this thread. The best camping is to boondock with plenty of supplies. If you are not into rough beauty coupled with lots of wildlife, don't bother
Dang, Pop - How did we miss you there after the Fiesta? We stayed at Las Cruces for a couple of days, then went straight down to Cottonwood.

That was as hot a place as I'd ever been. But it was a heckova place.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Wink

yup, sure missed cable TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Sorry to disagree. Ft. Davis state park has full
hookups and is very nice - has great facilities. Great base station to do some cool day trips and then return to desert "civilization". Dang, they even have cable TV!

Boondocking is a good way to get acquainted with the area and immerse yourself in the solitude. Then again, so is the state park. We like the hiking and exploring ala natural... but seeing the area and all the different towns around there, well, nothing beats a nice, long shower in the evening after hot days exploring!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
We went to BB via the Grand Canon, Sedona, Colorado River, Quartz Site, Tanque Verde Dude Ranch, Etc. The whole trip was fantastic. Sorry we missed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Dang, Pop - How did we miss you there after the Fiesta? We stayed at Las Cruces for a couple of days, then went straight down to Cottonwood.

That was as hot a place as I'd ever been. But it was a heckova place.

Pat