Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
Thanks everyone BB sounds great. I did think that the park had one place that had hookups? We don't mind BDing though.
There is a "campground" that has facilities. It is literally a parking lot with water and electricity - no more, no less. To go all that way and be surrounded by such beautiful sights, it would seem a shame to stay there (right next to the "store") in a parking lot.

Originally, we had reservations at the campgound with service, but as soon as we saw the boondocking campsites, it was a no-brainer, as long as you are prepared.

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Since the fallout from 9-11 there is no more ferrying over to Boquillas. The little Mexico town has about dried up now. Used to be several hundred people making a living catering to tourists, now maybe 100 people that try to sell contriband across the river at Boquillas Canyon, and the town is closed up.

When I was down 3 years ago Thanksgiving, there was 3 Mexican nationals sitting on the bank of the Mexican side, with a burro tied nearby to cross the Rio Grande. They were watching a table of walking sticks priced at $20 each and a pickle jar to put your money into.
We told them we were gonna wait for the January sales.....lol.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
PM (pat) Big Bend sounds like a great place for us to visit. What were the temps in October, 90's? Hotter?

BTW, we were at the Balloon Fiesta with the FCU. Were you there with them and us or at the Region 11 Rally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
We camped there in mid-October 2007, on our way back from the balloon fest in Albuquerque. We stayed in the park, first at Cottonwood CG, which we accessed from the West entrance, at Study Butte. This is dry camping only, primitive, and there were very few folks around. I live in the country, but I have never seen dark nights and stars the way we saw them there. There was a host turkey - very friendly but she lost interest when we refused to feed her. We stayed two nights - hot as hades, but dry heat, eh?

We then relocated to the Rio Grande Village CG on the East side, mostly for the chance to hookup and turn on the AC. Whew. We hiked and saw the sights and bought contraband (shhh) and left a day early because it was just too hot. But the park was starkly beauriful. Did I mention that the latter CG was hosted by road runners? We also heard rumors of javelinas close by, but didn't see them.

I'd recommend camping in the park, and day-tripping out to Terlingua - now there is a place at one of the ends of the earth.

As far as things to do - you have to be able to entertain yourself in one of the last great places.

Pat

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
At FCU Balloon Rally

Don,
Pat's Airstream has the red awnings. They were parked right next to us. See picture.
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
PM (pat) Big Bend sounds like a great place for us to visit. What were the temps in October, 90's? Hotter?

BTW, we were at the Balloon Fiesta with the FCU. Were you there with them and us or at the Region 11 Rally?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591sm.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	52219  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
S. Padre + Big Bend

Allen,
Feb. is an excellent time. Weather is comfortable and the Texas Blue Bells will be in bloom. The best views and experiences are always when boondocking. We did both of these locations late Feb-early Mar., 2001.

At S. Padre, I recommend camping right on the beach.

In Big Bend, I recommend Cottonwood campground.

Pre 9/11 you could visit Mexico via rowboat for $1.

See pictures for all of the above. Lots of good hiking in BB and beachcombing on Padre. Have fun.
Jerry

Quote:
We will be spending some time in Texas in Mid Feb. starting at South Padre Isl.for a couple of weeks and moving on to Big Bend. Are there any sujestions on how many days it takes to see the park, and any other thoughts on what to do there.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carol_texas_blue_bells.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	52220   Click image for larger version

Name:	avion_carol_explorer_beach.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	52221  

Name:	rio_grande_in_distance.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	52222   Click image for larger version

Name:	cottonwood_campground.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	52223  

Name:	backdoor_entrance_to_mexico.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	52224  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yep - red awnings and red truck = that's us. That was a great time for us - we met so many people I'm still trying to keep them straight.

RE Cottonwood: You have to be serious about boondocking there, as no generators are permitted. Not sure about the Rio Grande CG.

As for temps in Oct, we caught a hot spell - temps in the upper 90's. Don't think that is typical, though.

Pat
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
BB sounds like a great place to visit!

Any suggestions for the best route from Corpus Christi?

We're pulling our '96 34' . . .
Try the route from I-37 to Robstown/to Alice on 44, then on 59 past Encinal to 83.

Follow 83 to Carrizo Springs and pick up 277 to Del Rio. From there, all the way on 90.

Otherwise, 37 to San Antonio, and then US-90.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #22
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Thanks Rednax - we're pulling out of Portland Sunday AM - wanted to see more of Texas besides the view from I-10 as we head back west.

Any "hard climbs" on this route? We figure if 18 wheelers travel on a road, so can we with our overall length of 57'!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #23
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Allen,
Feb. is an excellent time. Weather is comfortable and the Texas Blue Bells will be in bloom. Jerry
Thems are Bluebonnets, not Blue bells. Blue Bell is the ice cream... Great Photos, Jerry. Sounds like a nice trip.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #24
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
We will be spending some time in Texas in Mid Feb. starting at South Padre Isl.for a couple of weeks and moving on to Big Bend. Are there any sujestions on how many days it takes to see the park, and any other thoughts on what to do there. Thanks
Well, here we are in mid-Feb., hope this isn't too late... Depending on how you like solitude and nature will be the determining factor on how long it takes to see Big Bend... Used to be a couple of outfits that would do horseback camping trips with a chuck wagon staffed with a chef (yup) and a hired musician or two - and not just any musician, but some well known ones. Do some trips down the Rio Grande, too... 'Course, it twern't cheap neither...

Then, some Mexican's on the other side of the river started taking some pot-shots with a .22 at the folks floating down the river and that pretty much stopped those trips.

If you have time constraints, 3-4 days. Then check out Ft, Davis, Marfa, Marathon & Alpine (not even going to get into the Terlingua chili cookoff & other "attractions").

Marfa has become a hollywood hangout. Used to be the only claim to fame was the Marfa lights (which some folks claim to see more than others, depending on choice of beverages/substances). Worth going to, though.

Now Marfa hosts all sorts of hip thaings from gallery's to restaurants to resorts... and famous faces waiting to be seen. Brought some prosperity to the area.

Ft. Davis has... well, the old cavalry fort & McDonald Observatory as well as some incredible countryside (yes, you can go on tours of the observatory & even look-see). VERY nice state park there (Ft.Davis State Park) with full hookups and even a state run hotel called the Indian Lodge - have to check that out - a must see. Several really nice old, restored hotels, too in town. One of my most favorite places to go...

Marathone has a couple of streets, used to have a nice bar (nice meaning real western & not the franchise version) and a cool hotel.

Alpine is home of Sul Ross state Univ... yeah, I'm native and it still takes a minute to register... they do have a good ag program. Interesting little town in the alps of Texas.

If you love the west, wide open BIG skies and independence, you'll love it out there.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
Does anyone want to hear from me? Look at where I am at.

If you really want to enjoy your stay, spend at least a week. There is so much to see. We have the darkest skies in North America. There is really so much wild life out here that would amaze you.

The best place to eat down here is Rio Bravo, On FM 170 going west, and they have great Mexican Food. In the ghost town, you have the Starlight Theater, great food too. Monday is toofer night. You get two for the price of one. They have good buffalo burgers. Steaks are good also.

Lajitas is now under new ownership and they are making some changes. Nice RV park, Pro Golf Course, 4 star resturants, and the Mayor of the town is still a beer drinking goat.

Make sure you fill up before you head out of Alpine, or Marathon. You will not find any gas until you get to the park or Study Butte.

Big Bend Motor Inn is a nice place to park your rig if you want full hookup, but the water is not that great. The last I heard they are on their own well and it is hard and not so tasty. They have a resturant there, but have really funny hours. It is a little like nursing home food. Kind of "bla". They have gas, diesel, small store.

Propane you can get at the Study Butte Mall. They have a small store with good selection for the area. You can't miss it. They have the only stop light in town.

Well, Study Butte is not really a town. It is a Butte. Terlingua is the town. Enough of the history lesson.

Anyway, The nights are cool right now, getting into the 30's at night, 60-70's in the day.

No problem with pulling as long as your rig can pull good grades. Some hills are long and winding. So use some good judgement and you will be fine.

If you want more information, just PM me and I will get back with you. See where we live to the left.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #26
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
And watch out for...

Pyrates!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0223.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	54633  
Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Pyrates!

Yeah, this guy had a contest to name his boat he built. Can't remember, but I thought...Someone with way too much time on his hands.

But that is why we love Terlingua!

Viva Terlingua!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Thumbs up Bb

My first trip to BB was after the 2007 Balloon Fiesta and I'm pretty sure I'll do it again after the 2008 balloon fiesta. I can only echo the message in this thread. The best camping is to boondock with plenty of supplies. If you are not into rough beauty coupled with lots of wildlife, don't bother