Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
springfield , Massachusetts
Big Band Swing

i love this genre so much. i'd rented from netflix both 'the glen miller story' and 'the benny goodman story'
it was a real treat to see gene krupa in both movies as well as lionel hampton in the 'benny goodman story' and louis armstrong in 'the glen miller story.

i had a friend a long time ago who had a huge collection of 78's, which he lovingly kept in mint condition. he tried to give me an appreciation of swing, but being a callow youth, i only laughed at the music.
i sure wished i had taken advantage of listening back then. i deeply regret that now. i'd give anything to hear all those 78's now!!!

anyhoo, anyone here enjoy this genre of music?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I am finding myself listening to big band more and more every day. Everytime I am in my husbands car the XM radio goes straight to 40's on 4 much to the chagrin of my 8 yr old son!!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'd much rather listen to Swing, than the modern "Curse to a Beat" that seems to comprise today's "music". I've heard that statement before...
Oh, my God! I'm turning into my father! Arggh!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Snog,

Did you really post a thread about big band? And your avatar is Marilyn Manson?

Man, I'd love to see what's on your iPod! That's gotta be some serious musical variety there.

--SM
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Snog,

Did you really post a thread about big band? And your avatar is Marilyn Manson?

Man, I'd love to see what's on your iPod! That's gotta be some serious musical variety there.

--SM
I know my iPod has some pretty diverse stuff on it, from classical to death metal. Very little rap, though. It might be a fun thread to start, and see who has what as far as musical taste.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I'm almost at 17,000 songs and over 90GB of music.

And I've got both Benny Goodman and Marilyn Manson on my iPod. Latest additions are Dub Champions and Subatomic Sound System (dub reggae). Good stuff.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Hello Snog and rhonda,
I am 36 and have been listening to music like that for several years now okay about 10 years. People look at me all crazy when I listen to that music and Dean Martin and the rat pack. If you like those movies you should watch "Five Pennies"! It is a story about Red Nicholas and his band. Who was in his band that he found and got together hmm Glenn miller the Dorsey Brothers and a few others. But the movie has Louis Armstrong and Danny Kaye and the rendition they have of when the “Saints go marching in” is I think one of the Best if not the best. I would say go rent it buy it and watch it because when you hear the trumpet (which red plays himself off screen) is great. I have my 8 year old son listen and he just loves it. I bought a trumpet to try and teach myself and someday will be good enough to play on my back porch. My son is taking trumpet next year in school so I guess him and I will learn at the same time.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Since being in a swing band years ago and still playing, it is one of my favorite types of music. In the last several years there has been a resurgence in the popularity of swiing. Now called retro-swing, there are several bands. The biggest names are "The Brian Setzer Orchestra" and "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy". The latter just put out an album of all Cab Calloway material and it is great!

Royal Crown Revue is another great big band and The Manhattan Transfer is a vocal group that does a lot of swing music as well. And, of course, you can find recordings of all the great bands of days gone by. I love them all!

There are several bands like them around if you can find them. Tuxedo Junction is a very good swing band in my local area. In searching on Google, there are actually many big bands around the country that call themselves "Tuxedo Junction". There is an album on iTunes where you can listen to samples called "Tuxedo Junction" by The Swing City Big Band..

website: Steve Lallier's Tuxedo Junction - The Big Band (in Texas)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I spent to many years not listening to any music except Barney and the Wiggles! It was my husband getting me a MP3 player that got me back into listening to music for myself. I seem to be splitting my time between Antsy Mclain and big band. I don't think that's too weird of a mix!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
love music!

I don't have an ipod. I have the OLD vinyls of Big Band, and the golden rock n roll era music. But I absolutely love BARBER SHOP music. Have you heard the Acoustix? Wow! They soup up some of the oldies and do them in barbershop harmony. Great stuff!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'll take Western Swing. Nobody can yodel like Roy. I'll take Bob Wills anyday to all that newfangled Beatle stuff.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
springfield , Massachusetts
what a facinating variety of replies! thanx, all!

and how nice that someone has vynal of big bands.

the trumpet is a great horn indeed. kudos to ardelon for learning this instrument.

thankyou, too, for suggesting movies and bands. i've heard of the brian setzer orchestra to be sure.

barber shop!! i love it. wonderful a capela harmony.

i feel for the person who has had to endure childrens' programming music. what torture indeed!

i do have quite the electic taste in music. while i don't listen to my iPOD much, i have primarily oldschool punk on it right now.

lol @ the remark about marilyn manson. i'm not a fan of heavy metal, but i have a thing for the man himself... but i will say that the band's 'mechanical animals' is pretty listenable to me, as it has elements of glam rock in it; glam genre is something i cut my teeth on in my late teens and i love it! hooray for t rex , new york dolls and david bowie.

i like rap- even the gangsta stuff. i just ignore the misogynist lyrical content.

ah, dub reggea! i love it immensely. as do i dancehall.

i also love 'norteno', which is mariachi with the inclusion of the accordian.

as well, i like reggeaton. add to this disparate mix, classical; darkwave/deathrock & classic gothic rock; industrial [my user name pays homage to australian industrial band, Snog]; the aforemention oldschool punk; ska; cajun; motown!!; celtic, and the blues.

oh, yeah, i do enjoy roots country such as johnny cash, patsy cline, ect. music i cannot abide is current day r&b; emo[gag] heavy metal and current day C&W.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I'll take Western Swing. Nobody can yodel like Roy. I'll take Bob Wills anyday to all that newfangled Beatle stuff.
I'm with you with this one! Give me Western Swing any day. "Willie's Place" on Sirius-XM plays quite a bit. Asleep at the Wheel and Hot Club of Cowtown are two modern groups with the swing.

AATW just did a CD and tour with Willie [Nelson] called "Willie and the Wheel" If you like swing, you'll like this! Hot club of Cowtown has a terriffic full sound for a trio. Another good, fun listen is just about anything from the Austin Lounge Lizards.

My band does a LOT of western Swing as well. You can listen and download for free on our website: www.limehollowboys.com .
Pay special attention to "Big Bowl of Chili".
Johnny "Big Bad" Wolfe
The Lime Hollow Boys
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My Criminal History

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW View Post
I'm with you with this one! Give me Western Swing any day. "Willie's Place" on Sirius-XM plays quite a bit. Asleep at the Wheel and Hot Club of Cowtown are two modern groups with the swing.

AATW just did a CD and tour with Willie [Nelson] called "Willie and the Wheel" If you like swing, you'll like this! Hot club of Cowtown has a terriffic full sound for a trio. Another good, fun listen is just about anything from the Austin Lounge Lizards.

My band does a LOT of western Swing as well. You can listen and download for free on our website: www.limehollowboys.com .
Pay special attention to "Big Bowl of Chili".
Johnny "Big Bad" Wolfe
The Lime Hollow Boys
Haven't heard of Hot Club of Cowtown or Austin Lounge Lizards but I will look them up.

The North Country of NY is not exactly where you would expect to find a western swing band, but it is my old stomping grounds. About 1975 I took some kids canoeing on the Oswegatchee River. The boat livery didn't try to cash my $35.00 check for an extra special long time and in the mean time I moved and closed the account. 2 years later in January I got a call from the Clinton County Sheriff's Office and the voice on the other end said "Son, this is the Clinton County Sheriff's Office. We have a warrant for your arrest. It'll go a lot easier if you come up and surrender. You don't want us to come down an git you" So on a 35 below January morning I left Pottersville in a Datsun pick up with a bad heater we had to push for a mile to get it to run. Drove up the 3 hrs to the SO in Governur and surrendered. I was fingerprinted and now have a file somewhere in Washington. Next I had to be arraigned so was loaded in the back of a sheriff's unit for the hour and the half trip to Cranberry Lake (the scene of the crime). They deputy and I stopped I think in Saranac for coffee and donuts and continued to Cranberry Lake for my arrainment. The Cranberry Lake Justice of the peace gave me a half hour lecture on civil responsibility (The court was not very crowded. In fact the court was an 8x10 room). I pled guilty on the advice of the JP to save the embarrassment of a public trial with possible media coverage. And the JP imposed a sentence of restitution and a $15 fine. I now was allowed to ride in the front of the police car since I was now ajudicated, justice was served and was no longer a prisoner. And that is how I came to have a criminal history.