Old 01-31-2005, 07:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Driftwood

You may want to do a search on mounting bikes on the back bumper - not recommended. You may not have had any problems yet - it's one of those things that develops over time.

Happy biking!

Ken

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:32 PM   #16
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Bike rack for Classic

Has anyone devised a great way to mount a bike rack other than a receiver type. My A/S is too long; I occasionally drag in certain parking lot/entrance situations.

I saw a rear mount set-up made by Can-Am, a Canadian RV center but have not been able to reach them.

Regards,

Old 01-31-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Folding bikes are almost a cult thing in the US, but in Europe they are a serious item for daily use. See http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/ and
http://www.transalt.org/features/foldingbike.html

Or, if you can't give up the old steed, S&S couplers are an amazing piece of work. I've seen them in actual use, and they are everything they claim. http://www.sandsmachine.com/

Or just phone up Alex Moulton in the UK and let them know what you want. Price one and you'll feel a lot better about the price of new Airstreams. I'll take a New Series in Stainless, please. About $6,000.

The Katy trail is very nice. The westernmost portions are rather dull, in my opinion, but from Booneville east there is some very scenic riding.

Mark
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Anyone wanting to do some riding during the International here in Springfield, Mo., may want to PM me. There are some great low traffic paved roads which can be accessed just a couple hundred yards from the primary campground. The local club has a show and go ride every Monday night that starts only a mile or so away. Every riding level will be present, and the only requirements are a bike and helmet.

There is a dedicated mountain bike city/county park northwest of town, about 10 highway miles from the campground.

Mark
Old 01-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
Folding bikes are almost a cult thing in the US, but in Europe they are a serious item for daily use. See http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/ and
http://www.transalt.org/features/foldingbike.html

Or just phone up Alex Moulton in the UK and let them know what you want. Price one and you'll feel a lot better about the price of new Airstreams. I'll take a New Series in Stainless, please. About $6,000.

Mark
Hey, thanks Mark! I'll take one too please. Just have them ship it to me at my house for my birthday present this year.

Roger
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 AM   #20
_

. , .
hi mark, roger, aaron and others

good to see there are a few bike/cycling nuts here...
......to go along with the air nuts.

i'm awaiting delivery of a new trailer that will be the base of my riding. this will mean that this coming year i'll be able to ride every day, without serious winter clothing or a frozen......uh, waterbottle.

wasn't planning to go to the international in springfield but if we could get a couple of bike rides organized...i'd come and ride. i'm in kansas city so it's close by too.

maybe we could start a cyclist chapter of the wbcci......beret's on bikes anyone?

for those of you interested in seeing or trying a moulton....i have 2 and likely would bring them both to the rally. the stainless new series has many things in common with airstreams....it's shiny, limited production, cult following, high price, unique shape/design and the same suspension designs....the moulton has a mini hetchens for the front suspension....pretty cool. i've pedaled the moultons 10,000 miles over the last 2 years and just like airstreams everyone wants to look and ask a question or make a comment. my other one is an apb which is more reasonably priced and road or trail worthy. i've had others too but passed them on to other members of the cult.....wally may be gone, but alex lives!

i'll be doing ragbrai again this year and might just park the tincan somewhere along the route.... anyone done ragbrai or going this year?

1'm considering cycle oregon this year too.....

i did b.r.a.t. last year and if you're looking for a great early fall ride this one in tennessee is exceptional.

i was in jackson center a 2 weeks ago and the first thing i saw in the customer shop......a birdy with the new capreo rear hub/changer set up. apparently the factory purchased on to show folks a folding bike for trailers....i tired to take it for a ride and guess what.....the tires were flat.

no kidding.

after the tour i made a beeline to the amazing "bicycle museum of america" which is just 20 miles west......and was as much or more fun than the factory tour.......i'll post some pictures soon.

cheers
2air'
Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We ride a lot in the summer, have a rail trail that runs for miles and is about 100 ft behind our house. Haven't taken our bikes with us in the past but as we are retiring this summer I am going to put a front receiver on the truck and will be taking them every place we go. I have a Trek and Annie has an old Norco but want to get her a Trek this summer. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
I too am a bike nut, mainly mountain bikes (a Santa Cruz Blur, and a Klein). That's a lot of what I do while I'm at my property near Moab. I did the White Rim Trail (Canyonlands) last fall, and hope to again every fall. It's a CLASSIC. I'm planning to do the Kokapeli as well this fall. Also, the Fruita area (CO) is quite good. As far as transporting, this is where a pickup with a shell comes in handy . . . and one of these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AG-TRK14.gif
Views:	70
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	11484  

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
RAGBRAI...

They started it after I left Iowa in the '70s... and since I've been back, I haven't had the time!

If you make it to Iowa for RAGBRAI, be sure to look us up!

Roger

p.s. for the unitiated... RAGBRAI is an acronym for the Des Moines "Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa". If you think that Iowa is flat and featureless, I invite you to ride RAGBRAI!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #24
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Wow, pretty popular thread! Maybe we should have an Airstream-and-Bike rally!

We both have mountain bikes, but, unfortunately, they're almost exclusively used just to get around the park. (We list them as business machines and maintain them at park expense.) Wish we had the time to ride them elsewhere!

Lynn