Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Bicycle rambling

(deleted, too off topic, apparently, my apologies).
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I think this thread needs to be on another forum. pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
RedSHED, I'm sorry you removed your post. I read it and really liked it (and after all, it is in the "Off Topic Forum"). The way you revived your bicycle is so much like many of us have revived our Airstreams. We don't need to toss things just because they're old, even if in the whole scheme of things they are ordinary. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hey! Who killed the bicycle thread!!! My bike is aluminum, and I'll talk about if you give me a chance!! Just try and kill this thread..... RedShed, post it again so we can all enjoy the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_091005_001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	28454  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up

Ya, bring it back buddy. Lets talk bikes. Our 2nd luv is biking (racing).
Old 11-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Biker chick here

Big reason why we got a trailer is to go biking/hiking on trips. Post away!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Thanks. Was in a hurry and changed my mind. But you're right, it is the off topic forum...

Some miscelaneous thoughts on the other hobby.

Thought 1: the ride.
It was close to 70 here today, so we decided to take the kids to BK for dinner. BK is a mile away via a multi-use path. One hitch, our 8th grade neighbor was locked out. No biggie, we stuck our kids on the tandems and neighbor rode my commute bike. It was nice. My commute bike is a 30-40 year old Schwinn, as is one of the tandems. A relaxing, chatterful ride. Nice way to break into the weekend.

Thought 2: the beauty
Only in the last year have I learned to relax a little on a bike. I'm not riding nearly as many miles this year, but I'm trying to make them all count. Not in terms of speed or miles, but in being the kind of ride you remember and go "yeah, that was good." It's hard, being sort of goal oriented - a type B+ personality if you will - and seeing this year's numbers not come up to last. But I've seen more woodchucks, more bunnies. Heard more kids laugh, smiled more. These are good things.

Thought 3: the reflection
I've often admired the restoration efforts you see here on AS forums. Broken down into steps, with proper facilities, it's the sort of thing you can almost imagine doing. But... like a friend who also has 2 small ones said "I can get an hour of free time, it just comes in 5 minute lumps." The big project is unrealistic. My commute bike on the other hand... it was probably headed for the metal scrapper when I glommed on to it. I thought about abandoning it more than once, but the serial number F474274 said the bike was exactly one month older than me. Do I teach my kids to throw away, that the only value is monetary? It's just another bike, literally one of a million. But, it isn't a bad bike, and right wrong or indifferent, I was its steward. So tear it down to the frame. Spend two good riding days not sneaking out for a ride, but sanding, priming, painting. New rear wheel, recycled front... new cables, brakes, chain... late hours polishing the chrome with bronze wool, more time packing bearings, reassembling...
It's a heavy bike, 40 pounds or more. It isn't a fast bike at all. But it's a very good bike, and it may have a lot more to teach.

Our neighbor kid seems to think so, anyway.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am all for it. I gave up on competition riding years ago, and most of my bikes don't even have computers on them anymore. If I go to ride it is for the joy of riding or the joy of riding to get somewhere. My current favorite ride is a 1972 Raleigh Superbe 3 speed. I also have a Redline 9.2.5 single speed that I ride around the town where my wife's shop is, doesn't work too well on the hills around the house with my old legs.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, so much for sentiment. I had a 1999 Cannondale T-1000 touring bike (I thought I'd like the "relaxed" frame) that I freaked out and rode all over the place when I turned 40. It was stolen back in March by somebody who broke into my Argosy and took just it. Not having a bike didn't fit my image of myself, so now I have a 2006 T2000 that I seem to be studiously NOT riding. Oh, well, I'll have a nice bike to freak out on when I turn 50.

A guy named Ed freaked out when he turned 50 and rode his bike from Alaska to Florida.

Never underestimate the power of freaking out. It buys a lot of Corvettes, too.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for bringing the bicycle post back, and karma to you for your outlook on the example you are to kids. That is so important, I often see the other examples of the result of neglect. I'm not talking about undernourished, physically abused, etc. although we do see that as well. We see so much of what I call the "white collar" abuse where Dad or Mom is just too busy to spend the time with the kids. They think that if they just buy them everything that they never had (or maybe did), then their kids will turn out great.
Showing your kids the value of, and respect for the things that you have, of not being a part of the disposible society is super. That old bike is a prime example, thanks for being a real Dad, there is no job more important.
OK, off my box....thanks for the great post.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We have 8 bikes in the garage right now. One for every occasion. High end aluminum, titaniam, and carbon fibre.

The DW and I got serious about MTB racing a number of years ago when we got into our 50's. We do many races every year. One race in January called the Freezer (note... if it is above 30F it is too warm and they cancel it). One race on Fathers day is 50K long, has 1,200 riders, and runs from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario. We ride and train about 10 hours a week all year round. The Dw has won ( in her age group) the last 5 out of 6 races she has entered.

Biking really does compliment travelling with the bullet. Never a dull moment in our space. Good to read about your rebuild job. It is rewarding.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Rans Recumbent Rider here

Hey Glenn Is that a Rans seat you fitted to your frame? Cushy huh! How do you travel with yours. My long wb barely fits inside the burb, and getting it into the AS - well you know haw that goes. Like you said Enjoy the ride> Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
pedal, pedal...

I too am a biking freak... until I read about other's "addictions", and realize, maybe I'm normal after all!

What kind of tandem do you have? I'm toying with buying one, but the money is so much! A Fuji seems to fit in my range.... I'd really like the Co-motion periscope.

Four bikes here - one is a 50's Raleigh 3 speed that I bought on a lark. So heavy, it kind of took me for a surprise. I think it'll be sold soon to make room for a tandem. A 80's Cannondale M700 (no suspension at all... did we REALLY used to ride offroad like this?), a singlespeed (retro style) for the work commuter, and a newer Giant OCR3 that's been pimped out with new rims, carbon fork, etc.

I've slowed down this off season, but keeping uh... "trim?" through aerobics.

I'd love to see pics of your bike.
I'm also addicted to "fixedgeargallery.com" - love the mechanical beauty of those things (a handcrafted Vanilla bike http://www.vanillabicycles.com/ is my dream bike). The forums there is a bit adolescent though.
Take care!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thoughts here

The time you spend with the kids actively participating in their lives is priceless. Board games, reading books, biking, whatever, it all sends the message to them that they are the most important thing in the world to you. I've always maintained that a large part of success in parenting is just showing up.

We went to Wisconsin from California to pick up our trailer, which we hadn't seen yet, from a guy we'd never met. I was going to bring my mountain bike along, but the gentleman we bought our trailer from insisted I use his, he dropped me off at a gorgeous spot with his cell phone for safety, so that I could take a once in a lifetime ride on one a historic, beautiful bike path. All this while he and my husband went to get the trailer road ready. (The Elroy-Sparta Trail). It was an experience I'll never forget.

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6...5218-1,00.html

Here's the link to a good article on the power of a used bike.

SafeHarbor: fie on the %$#@* who stole your bike!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, you are correct it's a Rans seat. The bike itself is a 1983 Infinity LWB USS recumbent. "Be careful what you wish for." Found the frame cheap on the internet. Freaked out and did a major build up using Ultegra drive train, hubs, barcons, and it goes on and on. So what's $200 for a seat right?
It weighs about 32 lbs in tour trim without fairings. I'm at a light going out on the Peleton Ride last year and this young buck on a $5,000 bike says, "how much does that weigh?" I gave him the figure and his eyes got big. Then as I dropped him I said, "What? Anybody can ride a light weight bike." Top speed so far is 55.3 mph!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Here's and action photo of the "Lead Sled" as some of my riding friends refer to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	infinityride.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	28471  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-11-2006, 06:04 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Jeez

I didn't know we were doing bike inventories here If you count rideable I have 8 or 9, it you count total I probably have 15+. I accumulate bikes like I accumulate everything else. My 4 main ride bikes are my aforementioned Raleigh Superbe, a 1968 Raleigh Compact RSW folder, a Giant Excursion (set up as a long haul tour bike) and a battered old Mongoose MTB that I ride around on the property here. Bikes to me are the epitomy of basic transportation, they are the single most energy efficient form of transportation, however in this country they are typically seen as a toy or a form of sport, not as a serious form of transportation like in say the Netherlands. I met up with a group that takes their cycling seriously!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 11-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I think this thread needs to be on another forum. pieman
The bicycle is part of Airstream's icon - seen as the tow vehicle of choice, showing off the lightweight, well balanced design. Perfect for this forum.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
.... I met up with a group that takes their cycling seriously!

Aaron
I thought something was familiar. I've seen you post on bikeforums.com I love the 3speedtour site, and you might get a kick out of http://www.tincanten.com/
(I occasionally post over there as Mooo. It was late, the account I had used quit working, and nothing else was coming to mind...)
Old 11-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
I thought something was familiar. I've seen you post on bikeforums.com I love the 3speedtour site, and you might get a kick out of http://www.tincanten.com/
(I occasionally post over there as Mooo. It was late, the account I had used quit working, and nothing else was coming to mind...)
Okay...now I know who you are I have seen the tincanten there is also a group out of Philly...TGBBW not sure it I will make that one. I like the MN crowd, my family was orginally from just south of MSP so it was easy to relate to them, even with my southern accent

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495