Old 11-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tim, you are correct it's a Rans seat. The bike itself is a 1983 Infinity LWB USS recumbent. "Be careful what you wish for." Found the frame cheap on the internet. Freaked out and did a major build up using Ultegra drive train, hubs, barcons, and it goes on and on. So what's $200 for a seat right?
It weighs about 32 lbs in tour trim without fairings. I'm at a light going out on the Peleton Ride last year and this young buck on a $5,000 bike says, "how much does that weigh?" I gave him the figure and his eyes got big. Then as I dropped him I said, "What? Anybody can ride a light weight bike." Top speed so far is 55.3 mph!

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Here's and action photo of the "Lead Sled" as some of my riding friends refer to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	infinityride.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	28471  

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jeez

I didn't know we were doing bike inventories here If you count rideable I have 8 or 9, it you count total I probably have 15+. I accumulate bikes like I accumulate everything else. My 4 main ride bikes are my aforementioned Raleigh Superbe, a 1968 Raleigh Compact RSW folder, a Giant Excursion (set up as a long haul tour bike) and a battered old Mongoose MTB that I ride around on the property here. Bikes to me are the epitomy of basic transportation, they are the single most energy efficient form of transportation, however in this country they are typically seen as a toy or a form of sport, not as a serious form of transportation like in say the Netherlands. I met up with a group that takes their cycling seriously!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I think this thread needs to be on another forum. pieman
The bicycle is part of Airstream's icon - seen as the tow vehicle of choice, showing off the lightweight, well balanced design. Perfect for this forum.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #19
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
.... I met up with a group that takes their cycling seriously!

Aaron
I thought something was familiar. I've seen you post on bikeforums.com I love the 3speedtour site, and you might get a kick out of http://www.tincanten.com/
(I occasionally post over there as Mooo. It was late, the account I had used quit working, and nothing else was coming to mind...)
Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
I thought something was familiar. I've seen you post on bikeforums.com I love the 3speedtour site, and you might get a kick out of http://www.tincanten.com/
(I occasionally post over there as Mooo. It was late, the account I had used quit working, and nothing else was coming to mind...)
Okay...now I know who you are I have seen the tincanten there is also a group out of Philly...TGBBW not sure it I will make that one. I like the MN crowd, my family was orginally from just south of MSP so it was easy to relate to them, even with my southern accent

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #21
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
I too am a biking freak... until I read about other's "addictions", and realize, maybe I'm normal after all!

What kind of tandem do you have? I'm toying with buying one, but the money is so much! A Fuji seems to fit in my range.... I'd really like the Co-motion periscope.

Marc
The tandems... One is a recumbent (EZ Tandem). The 4YO can sit on the back, we've made a platform for his feet. Not a bad bike. The more recent arrival is a '71 Schwinn Twinn. It's heavy, but kind of cool in that the frame is fillet brazed. Our 8YO and I drive this around town on various errands and just for fun.
My "other" bike is a Rans Stratus, and a pic of both it and the Schwinn Collegiate can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/bishop2398/index.html

The Stratus pic was 50 miles into a 75 mile ride. It was Spring Break week, so while I stayed at work, the rest of our family went to visit grandparents in Ohio. I took Friday off work and rode over - it seemed silly to have two cars over there. Well, most of the way, they met me for lunch about 20 miles before I got to the grandparents' house. It was around 30 when I left home, and never did get much over 40. Right after the pic was taken it started to rain and snow, which it continued to do the rest of the day. Kind of a mini-epic.

This was about a month before we bought the Airstream, and interestingly, the route took me by (1) a wolf rehab center on a really lonely back road, then (2) the Franklin County fairgrounds. As I rode by the fairgrounds, I thought it would be kind of a neat place to camp.
The wolf place was kind of creepy when I came upon it. I'd been descending this narrow county road for a few miles, scaring up deer here and there. When stopped to wipe the snow from my glasses, I heard this sort of howling that was not exactly dog, and not quite coyote. I had shivers for a moment. A hundred yards later was this place: http://www.nighthowls7.com/index.html
Anyway, be careful what you wish for :-) The Cincy Unit's youth rally, which we attended, was at this fairgrounds in June, and it was kind of neat because we got to see some wolf pups from the rehab center.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #22
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Interesting connection between Airstreamers and bicyclists. I think there may be another thread on here about this same topic.

I'm up (down) to three; Kona Hardtail Mtn Bike, Specialized Allez Steel road bike and my newest baby; a Felt F4C. The AS makes a great basecamp for cycling weekends.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
We have way too many bikes in the garage but love all of them.

Nic and I have been racing mountain bikes for a number of years and developed bike-itis in a big way while living in NorCal. In the last couple of years we've started doing triathlons, culminating in both of us competing in Ironman Canada.

With the addition of our daughter Cadence to our lives a couple weeks ago, I'm now eyeing one of these up:

Current stable:
Mine:
Intense 5.5 mtb
Jericho Payback singlespeed mtb
Kona Jake the Snake Cyclocross
Ridley Damocles - davitamon/lotta team bike
BBC Pilly SS cruiser, with front basket.
Norco Team 853 hardtail (the snot rocket) - unbuilt

Nicole:
Titus RacerX
Independent Fabrications Deluxe singlespeed
Cannondale R800 women's specific (hot pink)
BBC The Skirt SS cruiser

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Bikes and Airstreams go together for us. We travel to a place, cycle the area then move on to another. We wouldn't thinking of leaving a bike at home when we take off in our Airstream.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey!

I've got that trike (well, actually, the daughter has that trike)! Except ours is the "steel is real" version in John Deere Colors and livery. It's even got a trailer. I really liked it, burly enough for me to hang on the rear by standing on the rear cross bar. I could get us some serious speed together with me kicking (skateboard style) and jumping on ... hanging on the handlebars too.

I should take some more bike pics and post them ....
Marc
Old 11-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Now your talking - I have two mtn bikes, two road bikes a tandem and my old bike from when I was a kid. My wife has a road and mtn bike - I ride just about everyday - been riding since I was three years old and never quit.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
when we hook up to the airstream the bikes are next-----------

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
my new toy

It's not foldable, and it won't pull my Bambi, but I'm so excited about this gift my dear husband brought home for me this weekend I have to share it.

This is the second bike Doug's found at the local swap shed (giveaway spot at the garbage and recycling station). The other was a Mongoose that we haven't looked over very well yet. But this is the real deal, a 1968 (by the Sturmey-Archer hub date) 3-speed Raleigh, just my size! I've wanted one of these since I was a kid. I've been polishing on it since yesterday evening, and now I"m busy searching the internet to find out what I can about maintenance and care. If anyone out there has any advice or favorite bike sites to share, I'm all ears.

-Jamie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68Raleigh.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	38585  

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote