2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Bike rack for Airstreams

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1963 26' Overlander
Tacoma , Washington

If you have a bike that is valuable I think you should put it in the tow vehicle. Have been biking and streaming for a few years and would never put our bikes outside. The two problems with outside storage are theft, and road damage. All you need is a fork clamp in the back of your truck. Slip off the front wheel and you are good to go.

Fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I'm in the process of building a bike rack to carry two bikes on the rear of my Safari. The original post in this thread says not to carry bikes on the rear. Why not?
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
The frame is so weak,something bad is liable to happen. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I have researched some of the threads on this forum for bike racks on the rear. I see most of the posted advice warns about seperation of frame/shell, but there are no specific incidences or pictures that I have found. Most of these posts say not to mount "on the bumper", which I do not intend. I also have seen some posts saying they have been hauling bikes on the rear of their trailers for years without any damage.

I have already built the hitch that I would like to mount onto the rear frame beneath and on each side of the rear bumper. (I have not mounted it yet) There are two 1/8" bent plates beneath the main frame, I think skid plates to stop the bumper from hitting the pavement. I was planning to use them for attachment of the hitch. Total weight of hitch, bike rack, and bikes about 125/130 lbs. I understand the leveage arm affect.

I am hoping that some of you will share information of specifc cases that you have witnessed, I'm not really looking for opinions or relays of information you have found. I would appreciate a link to a thread if this specific case information is already on this forum (I am still learning to navagate).

Does anyone have any personal experinces to share, bad or good regarding bike racks on the rear? Only those that have happend to them or their friends. In addition discriptions, photos would be appreciated.

I'm heading to Florida soon and I was planning to use my bike rack this trip. I hope to sort through all of the cases and make the most educated decision I can.

Thanks for your help!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I can only see bikes on the rear of Airstreams being a problem on longer airstreams, and those with 3" deep frames (whose idea was that, anyway?) I can't see it being a problem on a 5" frame, or anything 25' or shorter...

Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We tried to figure this out and never did anything in the end. But, it seemed folding bikes were the best solution, but they are expensive and good ones are hard to find to actually see them. If you get a folding bike, get the carrying case, put it on the bed or behind the tow vehicle front seats, and drive away. Actually I think Al' is correct—put something that's not slippery on the bed, put the bike on it, and get going, although what you do with it when you want to use the bed is another thing.

A W, don't read this sentence since I haven't mounted a bike at the back. Some trailers have bad rear separation issues and researching that would be wise. There are threads about rear separation.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Trailer bike mount:

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote