Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Funny, none of that praise said one thing about towing......
Directly from the Motortrend article I referenced above:

"VW is saving the biggest Touareg gun for next year, when it'll introduce a 5.0-liter V-10 turbodiesel with 553 pound-feet of earth-rotating torque--more than a Dodge Viper's. Thanks to the flexibility of the six-speed automatic and the solidity of the body structure, all Touaregs--V6, V8, and V10 turbodiesel--are capable of towing up to 7716 pounds, substantially more than the Mercedes M-Class, BMW X5, or last year's Motor Trend Sport/Utility of Year, the Volvo XC90."

Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

OK, The cars maybe rated very high and many people like us, too, enjoyed our New Beetle. Our headache was with VW. It took VW, not the dealer 2 1/2 months to send a part. Then, when it arrived , it was wrong. They would not consider getting it from Germany. All New Beetles come from Mexico, and that is where the part I was told would come from thru one of their warehouses.
Now VW Credit and the company that holds the titles for them in georgia has lost ours. AND, they won't refund the "expedite fee" they charged ($15.00) supposedly to speed things along. HMMM
I'm tired of fighting with them.
Buyer beware.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
X-ray. Do some searching on the T whatever here.

You will find threads about people who have attempted to tow within VW's rating and failed miserably. You will also find a link to the story that got the commercials pulled and the poor guy who is fighting VW about it.

YOU CANNOT USE A WD hitch that vehicle. The way the car is designed the leverage goes against what the engineers of the body feel is safe for it's structure.

Without a WD hitch tongue weight unloads the front suspension. It doesn't matter what the suspension is or what vehicle, that's simple physics. The back wheels become a fulcrum. That cannot be helped without a WD hitch. So you drop 800lb on the back bumper you have a situation where the trailer can now shove the car around and over come the front wheels ability to steer. This will happen with any vehicle given enough tongue weight if it is not counteracted in some way.

As for my personal VW comments. I stand by them....They suck...I worked on my families and friends most of my life. Here is a list of what has been owned by my family and friends.

63 Bus Mine
68 Square back My families car.
73 412 Wagon Replaced Square back and became my first car in 84.
82 Vannagon Replaced 412 as family car.
83GTI it replaced the 412 as my second car
87 Jetta replace Mitsubishi that replaced vannagon (mom didn't like the forward drive set up) This car blew three auto's in 80k. 2 electrical system failures, NEVER could be made to idle anything resembling smooth. THE LAST VW EVER OWNED BY MY FAMILY Because of declining quality.

We have also owned several Porsche's including.
72 914 2.0
65 356 C cabriolet
57 Speedster.

List of my friends
86 Cabriolet Good friend in School
87 Cabriolet Roommate
70 Bug Friend
87 Jetta 5 speed Same friend as 70 bug Same idle issue as moms but with manual he didn't puke transmissions every 25k
70 Squarback another friend
74 Westfailia replaced 70 Squarback.
82 Rabbit friend
81 Rabbit diesel...blew head gasket annually.

I did repairs on most of these vehicles. The air cooled never had problems but worn out clutches and leaky fuel lines.
I might know a little about VW's. I sure know they are why I am going to hell. The 87 Jetta has been a thorn in my back since the warranty ran out. I have invented cuss words working on that one.

Oh yeah my job puts me working on a little bit of everything. You name it I have probably installed a car phone in it. Every MB, BWM, VW, Porsche, Caddie etc. I have even done a Mondial and a 57 Vett. So I have first hand knowledge of some of the quality on these vehicles.

As for the magazines. I firmly believe they one. The tests were done by car guys that know nothing about towing and just took VW's word for it.
As for the 4x4 mags.....It was one of the few new 4x4s so the vehicles it was competing against was small.
As for it's 4x4 prowess. I would put that 73 412 would do the same and more. That 412 because of it's flat belly could easily run through 3ft of snow with chains....It was a sled. Mom use to take my around to on my newspaper route when we lived in Michigan in it.

What they pictured as hard 4x4 work I would not even have put my 4x4 into 4wd yet and NONE of my wheels would have left the ground. My 4x4 could drive over that thing no problem. I have driven it over cars already and have pictures If you want to see.

Ok my views are not a reflection of Airstream or Airstreamforums. They are the personal views of a lunatic who is condemned to eternal damnation from working on them.

They are in no way meant as an attack on anybody so please do not take offence. They are personal opinion.

bI reread some updates. I still stand by my comments .Yes they have a recieve available now but only a class III. Not enough and not rated to take the kind of loads a larger coach can exert on the vehicle.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #18
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Toaster,

There is no way to argue with someone who has their head in the sand, you should know that.

The "guy who had problems" was Bluvalley. We have not seen hide nor hair of him since. He admitted on this forum that he had never towed anything before in his life (search on Bluvalley). The VW exec who paid him off was fired for doing so. CBS would not respond to a notable RV magazine when they responded to Bluvalley's claims by field testing the Touareg with a 30' Airstream which included running it through a pylon course at 80 MPH in addition to other feats of strength. The author of these tests reported that the Touareg was the best tow vehicle he had EVER driven in 33 or 34 years of RV testing. There are dozens of pictures of Touaregs towing boats, race cars, and trailers all over the internet. C'mon!

If this is a bashing poll, then perhaps we should get our facts straight.

I bought the Touareg for reasons beyond its towing abilities but I am thankful it is such a great towing vehicle nonetheless.

X
Old 03-17-2004, 10:56 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd like more real world from folks that use it rather than go off the rag sheets.

Again, this is not bashing the T, I am sure it will do fine for 22ft or less (strong on the less), however nothing anyone will say either on this forum and/or in the rag sheets will convince me that the T is a great tow vehicle for more than 22' PERIOD, end of converstaion. Anyone want to throw stones and say that my head is in the sand, so be it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions here as I was not under the impression that we were censoring anyone's opinions.

So glad people like the T. Looks like a great SUV. It makes little difference to me what folks get. I have driven a T and I have towed for well over 13 years. Would I tow my 25' Safari with it, not a chance. Again, my choice and my opinion. One could easily say that folks that are so pro T might also have their head in the sand.

To each their own. Folks take things so personally sometimes.....
Old 03-17-2004, 10:59 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Silvertwinkie,

I wasn't referring to you.

Frankly, I think you are sensible, honest, and open minded enough to realize the issues here. Plus, I enjoy your posts.

X
Old 03-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I didn't think you were...it's just frustrating sometimes to see folks dig in so far on something.

As much as it makes me cringe, even the folks that use the Intrepids got a right to an opinion.

I only wish my Chevy had as tight tolorences as the German or Asian vehicles. The again, it wouldn't be a Chevy if it didn't have the bolt loose in the trunk.

BTW, thanks for the vote of confidence....but I'm not all that sane.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Twinkie,

You said, "I'm not all that sane"

We can see that from your avatar!

You know, to me the value of this forum is for the endless exchange of knowledge and forthright opinion we are all privilege to share. There is sooo much knowledge here that it could scare you if you stop to think about it. Sometimes Toaster, Twinkie, or CObus have to dig a little deep to make their points, as we all do. What I do see is passion and that is good regardless of whether it gets your dander up or not. We're all just trying to help each other out here.

Frankly, none of you have to drive the Touareg so why should you take it personally? That's my decision. If you are fearful of me pulling a 22', then get out of my way!

Watch what happens when I say, "Those diesels are the dirtiest, foulest, noisiest pieces of junk I have ever seen in my life and they are killing innocent women and children because of the airborne particulates they spew into our air. They might tow but boy are they a problem. Plus, don't get hit by one cause it's a one way street, buster! What a road hazard!"

X
Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
See my whole issue is the unit body. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that.

I find it funny that someobdy in the other posts made the comment about how huge the class III receiver assembly was for that car and how it made the one on his truck look small. They failed to reallize it was that huge because that was the only way to distribute the load over enough of the body structure to be able to handle it. Their truck had a more substantial mounting point so it required less to be added.

They were compairing it to a Ford Diesel. Thing is that Ford under load is going be more echnomical to tow with. That Ford will get 15-18 MPG with a 22ft behind it and 21 empty. I doubt a Gas Toureg will get 11-12 with a 22 behind it. It might get 21 empty.

The Ford Powerstroke will have better resale in 5 years as well.

$1000 for a Reciever hitch? ....Good lord. I paid that for my beater DD honda. My Tow rig sits in the drive. Actually the tow rig is my wifes DD but she is a stay at home mom so her driving a 10mph gas hog is no big deal really. As long as I don't drive it a tank of gas will last over a month.

I only paid $5k for my low mile 454 Sub and I could tow a 22ft AND the Touareg at the same time and not be over my tow rating if I had a 4.10 gear....with the A/C on and 5 people with lugage. By using a older tow rig I can buy a beater that get's MPG. The beater paid for itself in 3 months in fuel.

$40K VW

Volks Wagon, What happend to the People wagon? The whole point of the company was "a car for the average citizen". It's was Germanys Model T. Simple, dependable and affordable.

They need to rename to Reicher Leute wagen (Rich People Wagon).

Don't get me started about the dealers. I have plenty of horror stories and some involve VW America and their lack of caring.

I know I could blow my engine, Transmission and rear end out of that suburban in one shot and have it back on the road in 5 days because of the availability of parts and dealers. I could have it on the road in a day if I was lucky in any local Junkyard and do it for under $2k.

It aint pretty, it's a little noisy, it's dated and it will out pull ANYTHING Europe and Japan have to offer short of a truck truck like a Isuzu NPR.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:59 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All we tech folks have to be a bit nuts!

Eric
Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote: For example, the Touareg has independent four wheel suspension. Everybody knows you get more stability from a solid axle on both ends.

Based on my personal experience this statement is false! A solid axle, with leaf springs anyway, is not well secured to the frame laterally. Side loads cause the axle to move side-to-side relative to the frame through slop in the bushings and twist in the leaf springs. Some designs incorporate additional links to reduce this movement. Independant suspension is tied directly to the frame (or unibody), having very little slop. Solid axles do have the distinct advantage of being available in heavy-duty weight ratings.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:26 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Dmac,

That was a "tongue-in-cheek" statement you were referring to...

I know, us Minnysotans take everything literally...

Uffda!

X
Old 03-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
VW

Hey Xray,

Maybe you should get your facts straight. This is bluvalley, and no, I haven’t been around for a while. I tend to avoid any forum that has VW in it, but this time I couldn’t resist. I guess my anger towards them has faded a bit.

Just so you know, I was not “paid off”. That’s crazy! They gave me all of my money back and I returned the car. Gladly. The entire experience was very stressful and sickening, and it dragged on for months. As far as I’m concerned CBS was the only organization who had any willingness to help and I thank them for it. And so what if I knew nothing about towing before I bought the VW, what does that have to do with anything? I doesn’t change the fact that VW was misleading.

I read all of the postings about that group who did all of the “testing” on the Touareg and invited CBS, blah, blah, blah. But you know what? I did not buy the car from them, I bought it from VW. Why didn’t they provide some of these results when they released the car? why weren't’ they willing to back up their claims when asked? oh, and where did all of those TV and print ads go showing the car pulling an Airstream?

I lost an entire year of camping experiences in my beautiful Airstream and I blame VW completely.

They may have given me my money back but they can’t repay my summer.

I am now a happy owner of a Nissan Titan and it is a pleasure to tow with.

Happy camping!

Bluvalley
Old 03-17-2004, 04:06 PM   #28

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Blu,

I'd be ashamed if I were you. Getting that guy fired and all...

Happy trails tho. No hard feelings.

X