Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
BEWARE-Fake Trailer Life Subscriptions

Scam artists have stolen Trailer Life's subscriber database. Thousands of fake renewal notices have been sent out from fake companies in NV & CA requesting renewal checks. Trailer Life does not use any subscription service companies. Do not send any checks to any address other than TL Enterprises in Mt. Morris, IL. If you send the fake companies your money, TL Enterprises can not credit your account and the companies move quickly so the police have not been able to catch them. It is unlikely you will get any of your money back.

Since Trailer Life and MotorHome are published at the same location, it is possible that the theives have also stolen the Motorhome database. BE CAREFUL

Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Shoot I just got one the other day said it was a special offer and I could get 25 issues for 25.00 I hope it was legit I dont remember where I mailed the check too.. It did have a postage paid envelope hope it was ok..

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The database also included all the phone numbers. The thieves are calling saying they are Trailer Life or representing them and asking for renewals. If you get one of these calls, do not give them your credit card number or mail any money other than to directly to Trailer Life in Mt. Morris IL. If you have a caller ID on your phone, get their phone number and email it to info@trailerlife.com so we can catch these thieves.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I got the same mailing and also paid the $25. Looked legit to me. I guess we'll see ...

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Grrrrrr

I hope somebody at TL Enterprises gets axed. Heck, I hope the company gets sued. Companies of all sizes need to understand the importance of keeping data like this secure. What ever the cost is to do so, it should be part of the business model, and very stringent internal policies should prevent this from ever happening. This kind of stuff really ticks me off

Hope nobody gets ripped.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
Has their website also been hacked?

There isn't any mention of losing the subscriber list on their website. I think if you lose something like a subscriber list you must immediately warn people any way you can.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Footnotes are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Scam artists have stolen Trailer Life's subscriber database. ...
Please cite/provide link to your source of information.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
The database also included all the phone numbers. The thieves are calling saying they are Trailer Life or representing them and asking for renewals. If you get one of these calls, do not give them your credit card number or mail any money other than to directly to Trailer Life in Mt. Morris IL. If you have a caller ID on your phone, get their phone number and email it to infro@trailerlife.com so we can catch these thieves.
That email address is not recognized. Is there another email for contact?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
That email address is not recognized. Is there another email for contact?
I think dwight has a misspeeling in his email addy, it probably should be info@trailerlife.com

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Trailer Life published a small warning on page 11 of their Jan 07 edition. I missed it and paid $15 to the scammers. I was hoping to save a few of our friends from the lose. TL subscription dept has phone 800-825-6861. Info is the proper spelling for reporting by email. Sorry about that.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #11
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Trailer Life published a small warning on page 11 of their Jan 07 edition. I missed it and paid $15 to the scammers.
If they wouldn't refund you, I would drop my subscription so fast it would make their head spin. "OH geeee, its not our fault the information you intrusted with us got stolen, and it cost you money", what BS.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Keeping quiet

Quote:
Since Trailer Life and MotorHome are published at the same location, it is possible that the theives have also stolen the Motorhome database. BE CAREFUL
This is really strange. After reading your post I remembered that I had a renewal notice at home. When I opened it I saw that the return address was to the correct address, so I was a bit relieved.

Then, this morninng I went on to the Trailer Life website to see what they were advising their subscribers. Nothing! No mention of the theft any where, not even on their forum. I called their 1-800 number and asked about the database theft. I got a "What do you mean?" response. When I went into more detail, the person then conceded that yes it had really happened. When I asked why the Company was not advising their subscribers on their website and by mail I was told that notificaton was being made in the magazine. I asked what issue, and was told it would be in the next issue coming out. I asked what information was contained in the database other than my name, address, phone number, and account number. The reply was that she did not know.

I find this to be really poor judgement on the Publisher's part in very many different ways.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
. . . I find this to be really poor judgement on the Publisher's part in very many different ways.
It will be interesting to see if they are more forthright in the published explanation. If it does get published.

How could the subscription clerk not know what information was compromised? That's an obvious lie and coverup.

It may be a criminal doing it, but that doesn't let the publisher off the hook. They were either reckless, or didn't have adequate security processes.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
How could the subscription clerk not know what information was compromised? That's an obvious lie and coverup.

It may be a criminal doing it, but that doesn't let the publisher off the hook. They were either reckless, or didn't have adequate security processes.
I'm just glad that I've never given them my credit card number. They have my address, phone number, and my email address. Under the circcumstances that's too much.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote