Old 03-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You looking at the 19' or the 22'? Those are the only 2 CCDs I know near that weight.

Either way though a good 3/4 ton will be fine. Diesel will get better gas mileage and if you do a lot of traveling, the diesel may make more sense in the long run since they can run at least 100k longer than a gasser. Add mountains and the diesel becomes more attractive with all the gear you're hauling. Not that a good V8 or V10 can't handle, but if this is the last major purchase, the diesel will most likely outlive the body and frame of the truck itself!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Can I vote?

We have a 2005 Dodge 2500 with a Hemi and it purrs like a kitten.

We bought gas because my research showed that diesel prices would rise above gas prices. Bought it last year when the dealers were scared and trying to clean off the lots (some still are). Our old 1994 Dodge 1/2 ton is still on the road after more than 200,000 miles and is being driven by a college kid. We have always been pleased with Dodge.

Enjoy your journey.

Beth and/or David

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
My diesel gets .16 per mile for fuel.
My friends 8.1 chev gets .16 per mile for fuel.
We've done a lot of argueing about the pros and cons.
They pull the same and drive the same.
The biggest difference, he can "GAS" up anywhere.
And... by the time he is at the end of his driveway his defroster works.
Diesels take forever to get hot enough to clear the windows, and the drivethru people hate the noise of the diesel.

If you do a lot of short trips, in cold weather, to the coffee shack, get a gasser.

And a double cab, long bed, pickup is a bummer to park.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
28' 3/4 ton w/ 6.0L and 4.10s. 31', the 3/4 w/ 6.0L will be taxed if you load the 31' up to it's max of about 10k GVWR. I'd say 8.1L w/ 4.10s or diesel w/ 3.73s for a fully loaded 31'. Suburban doesn't yet come with a diesel and from the look of the 3/4 ton vans I am not sure they get the Allison transmission.......although they do have the Duramax engine, it's the lower HP and torque LLY, not the LBZ....and GM doesn't have the diesel in the passenger vans yet, just the cargo vans. Most likely what you'll find if they do have a diesel burb.

Friends don't let friends drive Fords.
Or better yet a Nissan Titan!!!!! <just kidding twinkie>----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #19
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Or better yet a Nissan Titan!!!!! <just kidding twinkie>----pieman
Still better than a Dodge Intrepid.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Frank S
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Wayneh--There are many vehicles that will tow a 28' to 31' A/S as you can see from the previous responses. You have to ask yourself some questions before you can decide what type vehicle to fill your actual need. Will you use it only to tow? If it is also a daily us vehicle, what % of the mileage will be tow? What is the max number of people you need to carry comfortably. What other stuff do you need to carry. My experience is all GM so I'll stick with that. Others can comment on Ford and Dodge. Going from about the most carry capacity to the least you have: Full size Van; Pick Up in crew cab, ext cab, reg cab, with bed length to suit; Avalanche, or Suburban. Running gear should be 3/4 ton minimum, 6.0L 4.10 rear min. Better is 8.1 3.73 or 4.10 (best). Diesel might be OK if you tow full time, however the Diesel down sides are: High initial, repair, and maintenance costs which you never recover with fuel savings; noise; vibration; smell; quirky issues (fuel jell, filter clog, winter-summer fuel blends, limited fuel pumps, and others). You can quickly narrow your choices based on your need requirement. Then take a good look at vehicles that meet your needs, and talk to anyone you come across that has a receiver under the rear bumper. Every one is ready to tell you why their unit is the best. Happy hunting, it will be fun.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:15 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
We have a Ford E-350 Chateau van with the V-10 and 4.10 gears. We get 9-10 mpg towing our 28 Classic.

I've had 4 Dodge diesels and this van is more stable towing than any of the aforementioned trucks.

Highly recommended.
Jan and Al
Sophia and Emilee, the Pugs
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Dodge Cummins

My Dodge Cummins gets excellant mileage solo (22 MPG) and towing (15/16). Has plenty of power for climbing the Sierra AND AS OF TODAY DIESEL COST THE SAME OR LOWER THAN UNLEADED!!! in Sacramento!

I have not had any issue with my Dodge towing my Airstream....Tows like a dream.
'05 30' Classic rear queen with an '11 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel tow vehicle
Avatar is inflight refueling of an F-15 over job ever!
flynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
diesel is more adaptive

I can run my diesel on b100 (biodiesel) w/o modification. a 100% domestic produced fuel.

that was a big part of my decision factor. as it is, I run willie b20 and get a/b 2 more mpg when burning the willie than reg diesel. also less pollutants and longer engine life.

I can do straight waste vegetable oil w/ minot modifications if it ever came down to that.

paid $6k for a 95 f350 crew cab, long bed 7.3 powerstroke. it sure is NO fun to park though. I think I could've used the short bed.

fuegos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona

I always find the Diesel vs Gas forum arguments to be amusing. If you go to Fordtruck forums it really gets deep with BS. You'll find both perform the task at hand.

My personal choice is F250 CC PSD King Ranch.. The Harley one is nice and so it the Lariet. Youíll spend a lot of time in it so the interior is important. I bought the King Ranch because the leather is unlike anything else out there in any truck or car.

Couple other points that led to my personal decision:
1) Diesel lets you pull into any truck stop and fill up very easily. You don't need to negotiate tight spots where cars fill up.
2) Fuel cost is higher on Diesel but, it is about a wash when you factor increased fuel economy on Diesel. (please don't flame me with long math calculations it's close enough, besides if we all really cared about how much fuel costs we would not be buying or owning a RV)
3) The Tow command system and integrated trailer brake is a wonderful feature. It makes towing in the mountains very easy.
4) Telescoping side mirrors are great.
5) Love or hate the noise of diesel is again a personal choice.. For me I like it. Sounds like a big rig. (I'm looking at adding an on board air compressor for the tires and a semi or train horn) Just one more toy
6) Whatever you do get, back up sensors are a really cool feature. I wish they made them for the front also. It makes parking at the mall easier. You can simply back into your spot listen for the solid beep and you know when you are 12 inches from the other personís bumper.

Just some of my opinions.. Drive several and decide what you like its personal.

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote