Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #43
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
LOL!

Truth be told, Len is much more Type B than I am-- once we are on the road. (Ahem.) But in an inverse kind of way. He doesn't want to deal with a stressed spouse, so he is totally on-side with advance planning, reservations, &c.

In the spirit of becoming more Type B, we were going to spend a couple of nights this week in a lakeside campground north of us, run by the small community of Riondel. Just take off, free as the breeze, don't bother with reservations, &c, &c. &c. Just on a whim, I found this campground on the Internet-- with a reservation phone number. I called, and learned that they were booked solid, with no overflow camping available, for those nights. We know where some overflow camping is nearby, but it isn't terribly inviting. So now we are staying home for those dates, but consoled ourselves with an advance reservation at Lake Louise in Banff at the end of the month.

Backing is a challenge. Neither one of us city kids had ever learned to back a boat, trailer, farm equipment, &c. prior to getting the Bambi. We have finally worked out that my yelling "Stop!" means "stop immediately!" vs. "Roll back another two feet."

So far our marriage is intact. No doubt nearby campers have truly enjoyed some of our backing-up performances. At least, they sometimes want to get in the act so badly that some of them usually offer to back the trailer in for us, it looks like so much fun.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
I've just finished reading all of these posts again ......

I am now absolutely convinced ......

If its really necessary to work from a checklist of pointers on how to avoid stress while camping ..... then you are in REALLY big trouble .......

Good LUCK!!!

Jay
Or in need of a full bottle.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #45

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Or in need of a full bottle.
The bottle is listed on the checklist. Really, it is.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
How can this be stress?

On the shore of the Salish Sea.

Strait of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave
Now that looks like a beautiful location and camping trip. I sure wish were there parked beside you enjoying the scenery!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX

The bottle is listed on the checklist. Really, it is.
I like a nice cold micro brew, jack is a little to much. But there were days during the shell off i could have used it. Once the kids go to bed, the wife and I will have a nice glass of red wine around the camp fire.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #48

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I like a nice cold micro brew, jack is a little to much. But there were days during the shell off i could have used it. Once the kids go to bed, the wife and I will have a nice glass of red wine around the camp fire.
Oh, I just said "the bottle" you'll note... I wouldn't take Jack anywhere unless it was a gift for someone who likes it. Usually I travel with a bottle of small-batch bourbon, but I'm setting out for this weekend trip with gin and tonic... too bloody hot for bourbon. (I think it's a sin to ruin good whiskey with ice.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Stress relief

So Frank and Mike,
We leave this morning to go to the beach. Not much of a distance thing for us, but quite a bit for some of the folks meeting us there. I want to say, "I agree, I need to do something to take the stress away". But alas...We have done very little. sigh... Skye is in the kitchen pulling apart pork that was slow roasted overnight using some special Bobby Flay recipe. mmmmm But Nothing is in the trailer yet, no water in the tank, no clothes, truck is not loaded with chairs, grill, table, bug tents, etc...
In my defense, I have been kinda out of the action a bit, and this is a first test since 6/11 (my own personal "day that shall live in infamy"). So I will walk outside in a bit, start loading whatever I can think of, and will leave behind whatever I don't think of. When we get there, shade will go up, chairs will come out, And I am going to have a ball relaxing and not caring a bit about what we forgot. (unless, of course...I really wish we had it along)
Wish you guys were coming, we will send pics. Oh, and no Jack Daniels...Skye has spoken!
In all fairness to the thread though, Skye always takes the opportunity on the last day while I am taking down lights, picking up all the stuff and re-loading the truck, etc...to clean up inside. She pulls sheets and cleans the floor, wipes down counters, etc. So when we get home it is a simple grab the hampers, cold food, wipe down the fridge, and lock it up. Ol Bud will be ready to go (on the inside anyway) the next time.
Now, where is that tire gauge....

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, ya know, there is undoubtedly a difference to destressing a long weekend or vacation trip and destressing something more along the lines of full time/retirement travel.

My suggestion---if there is something that absolutely sends you into orbit, deal with it. Otherwise, decide what is most important to you and make it your personal mantra.

Safe travels, all---

Maggie
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #51
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The trick to keeping stress levels low is to choose what to care about. If you don't care, you can't get upset.

So, for any annoyance that pops up, ask yourself, "Why do I care?" If you don't have a good answer, then the FIDO principle applies - Forget It, Drive On.

Stuck in traffic? Why do you care? You'll be late. So, whay do you care if you're late? The missus will be angry. So, why do you care if she's angry? She'll kick you out of the house. So, why do you care if you're kicked out of the house? You'll have to sleep in the Airstream. Why do you care if… wait a minute, that's a good thing. See? No worries. And by the time you've worked though that thought process, you'll be smiling at all the other irate drivers around you, and freaking them out while you're calmly waiting in traffic so you can spend an impromptu night in the Airstream.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #52
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I agree that a good motto is, "If you forgot it, deal with it." It's not worth getting fussed about it. (Well, not for more than a few intense minutes.) But when we camp in really remote areas, sometimes there is no simple drive to town-- and "town" oftentimes would be too small to have what we need anyway.

Examples of things we've forgotten, but wanted in the boonies:

Gas can for the generator.
Ax for creating firewood (we can't take it across the border, nor could we carry as much as we might use.)
Trekking poles (I have really bad knees and don't like to hike without them.)
Several main courses for meals, left behind in the fridge.
Camping chairs (no picnic tables.)
Grill for outdoor cooking.
Dog food.
Sufficient toilet paper.

We keep a standard list on Len's computer, and just ready to be checked and modified, depending on where we're headed.

Actually, it just occured to me that probably the more relaxed campers here probably have much better memories than we do.

We've never forgotten that nice glass of red wine, though.

Jeanne
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I need to revise what I said earlier and add something.

NEVER, EVER,, EVER, NEVER go on a spinning tea cup of death ride operated by a sadistic teenager after eating a big lunch, no matter how much your 6 year old begs!!!!!!

Now if you have an extra few minutes you can read the story here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1182974

Post #58 it was quit the day...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #54
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
I agree that a good motto is, "If you forgot it, deal with it." It's not worth getting fussed about it. (Well, not for more than a few intense minutes.) But when we camp in really remote areas, sometimes there is no simple drive to town-- and "town" oftentimes would be too small to have what we need anyway.

Jeanne
You need a bigger trailer. There is no way we could get our 31 foot trailer far enough off pavement, to make driving to the store an inconvenience. There's a solution to every problem.

Ken
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Sell the trailer.

For someone who only knew how to change a light bulb before - the maintenance can be overwhelming. The owner's manual is useless.

I wonder if JC has ever offered maintenance and how to fixit yourself courses? Everything from hitch to tail lights? I would jump onto an airplane and attend stat!

p.s. I won't sell the trailer. I do love it, but.......
Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Sell the trailer. For someone who only knew how to change a light bulb before - the maintenance can be overwhelming. The owner's manual is useless.

I wonder if JC has ever offered maintenance and how to fixit yourself courses? Everything from hitch to tail lights? I would jump onto an airplane and attend stat!

Excellent idea, FAN.
The closest I've seen to this would be some of the seminars at Alumapalooza, and some "maintenance rallies" held by some WBCCI units. While both were educational, JC had little or nothing to do with either. I think it would a win/win for all involved - A happy, educated customer, and an opportunity for AS to show additional support for their product, and sell parts.

Seriously, the maintenance rallies I've attended were super. They usually were a joint rally between two units. Between the two units, there was a tremendous amount of practical knowledge about AS repair and upkeep. Hey, perhaps AS could host one at the Terraport.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote