Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Things that work for me:

We all need a plan. Even planning to NOT have a plan is a plan.

And not having a plan is only a way of saying "I don't write down a plan, I just know that I want to be at X by the (day) of (month)." AT the very least, you need to come home some time.

So, if that is true, and if you are travelling with others, for sure there is someone that wants to know where you will be by when. If you can take the stress that person will give you if your answer to that question is "I don't know", then go for it. After all, YOU are the one that decides what level of stress you can handle.

For me, a plan means I can relax and not be always wondering where we will be when. Yes, I'm that person.

For me, the key is to make a plan, but to first check it out with your crew, since if they don't buy in, it's not a plan, it's just a dream. The other thing to keep in mind is that you need to stay flexible, if circumstances change.

No need to heap stress on yourself if things don't work out as you thought they would.

Then relax and let things flow...

Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We are a diverse bunch on here. I have to admit that some of the OP's ideas would actually induce stress in me rather than reduce it, but then we're all different aren't we?

For me, weekend trips are never more than three hours away - setting up late in the evening isn't fun.

Weekend trips are short enough without getting up at stupid o'clock on the Sunday and hitting the road before breakfast. We always aim to be off the site about 5 minutes after checkout time :~) The relatively short drive time helps that, too.

We only clean the trailer after at least a week on the road. With two tadpoles, there's nothing more dispiriting than trying to keep a clean trailer only to have the little darlings mess it all up within minutes - I can live with the chaos, up to a point. That said, we are working on getting them up to speed with the housekeeping but, as they're on vacation too, that's only successful to a limited degree.

Personally, I get up before everyone else and go and sit outside (weather permitting). That allows me to read, blog or simply watch the world go by, which is stress busting at its best in my opinion.

We do minimal planning and have few lists, but it works for us; taking the Airstream out is what we do to relieve our stress.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman

I like the document idea and contact list. I will have to put that together to have with me. What if something happened to me when I'm by myself with the kids. ? That's a scary thought.

When I was a young, single mother of two, my biggest fear was that something would happen to me and my children would be left for however long to fend for themselves. We began life without another parent when my son was 4 and my daughter not yet born.

As soon as they were each old enough to understand, I talked with them about what to do and who to go to in the event of this kind of emergency, and where important names and phone numbers were written down. We didn't live near family, but always had neighbors they could trust and they knew how to dial 911.

Everyone who has children, on the road or at home, should have a written contact list and your children should know where it is.

You never know what could happen in the blink of an eye, and what you would want most would be for your children to be okay.

Responding to what Aage said, about letting others know where you are, our children always know generally where we are, and have a description and license plate number of the Interstate. When we head into areas where we know we will not have signal, they know that, as well. Keeping stress down, for us, also means knowing that if there were an emergency at home our children would know where to find us.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
That's a great idea. I may use that when we try to take a trip to the west side of the Metroplex... lets see, if i leave a 4 a.m. then I will get to Mineral Wells by 6:30. Think the SP will let me check in that early>

You forgot about the most important part of the plan.

Stopping for breakfast!

How slow can you eat?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
How can this be stress?

On the shore of the Salish Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Georgia

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	073120122669.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	164533  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Learn how to back your trailer and get in and out of tight spots. Practice before you go camping and spend an hour trying to park your trailer and fry the transmission in your tow vehicle.

This has caused a lot of stress with a lot of couples trying to get the trailer parked. It has also caused a lot of damage to trailers. I have gotten pretty good at backing my 31 foot trailer. I am no expert but I think I can get in an out of most places.

Having a long hitch that gets the trailer away from the tow vehicle and increases your jack knife angle. Know how far you can go before the bumper hits the trailer and crushes the front quarter of the trailer. This is the most common Airstream dent area. There are a lot of old Airstreams out there with these corners crushed from careless backing.

I get out and survey the spot before backing into it. Look for things like limbs, holes in the ground, trees in the way, picnic tables etc. It is not uncommon for folks to move picnic tables right in the way especially if they have been tent camping.

Perry
Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
A few random thoughts;
o Other than consumables…our campers are always ready to roll. A quick check a few days before we leave confirms what we might need to re-stock, we may even just stop on the way at a market…then we can stretch our legs too. You never know when you’ll find a farm stand, berries to pick, etc. We even keep some old “camping clothes” on board.
o Our little walkie-talkies help when backing in or other tight spots. Especially late at night pulling into a site…I am sure we have pulled in late and left early before other’s even knew we were there. No yelling back/forth out the truck window.
o If we do get in late, or are not staying, we don’t do anything except open the door and make a snack, etc. Don’t unhook, don’t put down stabilizers…nothing really. We travel with full H2o so we are self contained for several days.
o We often stay at State Parks, National Forest sites, etc…we’ll pay for an extra day (Sunday?) so we can stay as late as we want. Another night at a SP/NFC is only a few $, and then we have the rest of the day to relax. We’ll pack up and head home late afternoon/evening. We are always amused by Folks who pull in Friday eve, spend a few hours setting up all kinds of garbage, and then do the inverse first thing Sunday a.m. to make check-out time. Pay for the extra day, by noon-time on a Sunday you will have the place to yourself, hang around the lake, beach, etc. Enjoy the day, and then head home later. What’s the rush? Get back to work on Monday? We often do weekends so we stretch it out as long as possible. Many of our trips are no longer than 5 hours from home. If we roll in the driveway 8:00-9:00 Sunday eve…so what? We’ll unpack and clean up sometime later that week. The food won’t spoil…it’s in the fridge! We often come home with some local produce, ice cream, beer that we found on our travels. It will keep just fine until we unpack…that’s when I clean up and check all the other consumables.
o We do keep a checklist of just about everything that we should have. Reviewing this daily the week before a trip makes it easy to keep track of what you need/or don’t need. This list includes food, clothes, truck fluids, camper safety checks, etc. This may sound like work…but once you setup the list…it is very easy to follow. This has been revised over the years…it seems to get shorter. At this point, our camping is so refined…I there is nothing so drastic that could be left behind that would ruin a trip (well…maybe beer…OTH there is a good bourbon in each camper…just in case!)
o In general, we have learned to minimize the junk we travel with. Less setup=more chill time.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
still working

Ahhhhh guys, what a neat thread. Easy to see the difference between folks that are still working and those that aren't. My trailer has two wheels off and we leave in the morning.sigh...
I have found Jack Daniels helps a lot.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805
Ahhhhh guys, what a neat thread. Easy to see the difference between folks that are still working and those that aren't. My trailer has two wheels off and we leave in the morning.sigh...
I have found Jack Daniels helps a lot.
Hey try doing a shell off a month and a half before a 3 week trip. That's stress.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Hey try doing a shell off a month and a half before a 3 week trip. That's stress.
Too funny. I could not figure out HOW to get the shell off in a month and a half. You win. I'll send you what is let of my bottle of Jack.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #39

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Too funny. I could not figure out HOW to get the shell off in a month and a half. You win. I'll send you what is let of my bottle of Jack.
Does "what is left" equate roughly to "empty bottle"?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
What a wonderful thread! I am learning a lot.

After camping with neighbours and family members, I believe there really are two very different types of campers-- plus gradations in between.

A. Well-organized people who like a plan, make lists, and prefer advance reservations.

B. Relaxed, go-with-the-flow people who don't want to be stuck with commitments they might not want to keep once they get into their trip.

OK-- that's a list right there, so we tend to side with the OP!

We have lovely neighbours with whom we've gone on several trips of varying lengths, but by now we all pretty much prefer to camp on our own (by unspoken agreement), because we're more type A and they're type B.

But also, a lot depends upon what type of camping you do: more citified or more remote. We prefer remote campsites, where if we've forgotten something important, we can't just run into town to pick up a duplicate. Hence our lists.

We love national and provincial park camping, and oftentimes without a reservation you just can't get in. We don't drive clear to God's Country in order to overnight at Walmart if the campgrounds are full.

Another thing is the size of the unit. With a 16-foot Bambi, we just have to keep the place clean ongoingly (even though we're not tidy by nature) because we have to live right in the midst of any unmade bed, unwashed dishes, or wet towels, &c. wherever we are. With just one sink for all purposes, we really have to pay attention to cleaning it a lot.

But no, no children or grandchildren on board!

We have protocols for Bambi Life that we probably wouldn't bother with in a large unit. Stuff like when one person washes the dishes, the other person stays put, seated, or else goes outside because in a small space the do-si-do is just too awkward.

A major protocol item is that Len always gets to do the sani-dump stuff while I walk the dog or fill the water-bottles.

Perry, you are soooo right about backing. It's a real test of a marriage!

Jeanne
Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, some of us are both the A and B.

I am SO a list-maker and advance-planner, just not when it comes to the meandering type of travel that we like to do at this stage in our lives.

One of the mods here, who shall be unnamed but knows who he is, has a wife who says their walkie-talkies are so they "can yell at each other quietly" while parking their trailer. Parking for us is not much of a chore, but can still be the most stressful part of a day when one party suddenly no longer understands hand signals that have been in use for 10 years. . Anything that avoids loud expletives is a good thing,

Maggie
Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I've just finished reading all of these posts again ......

I am now absolutely convinced ......

If its really necessary to work from a checklist of pointers on how to avoid stress while camping ..... then you are in REALLY big trouble .......

Good LUCK!!!

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote