Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Best Credit Card -U.S. & Canada Travel

Have traveled in Canada and have had problem's with VISA at Gas Stations and Security Problem's ? Call Visa and they can fix but its a problem. Friend just did trip to Alaska and could only put more than $75 on a credit card in Canada. Lucky they had mutiple cards.
Plan on a trip to Nova Scotia, any Ideas to help with Canada Travel.
Havn't had issue's with VISA in U.S.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
$75 limit seem to be nearly universal even for Debit Cards. If your account number or your banks system has been compromised you are lucky it works until they send the new one. Which may require a trip to a branch to activate. Try that when out of the country. CASH...
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have never had these problems accept at fuel stops, requiring multiple card insertions at the pump in the US. Have not been in Canada since 9/11.

I did note while fueling at the RV pumps at a Flying J/pilot a sign saying that Mastercard purchases would shut off at $75.00 but Visa was good for $450. This was a week or 2 ago.

I put in $250. worth of fuel on my Visa with no problem. Have also found at FJ I can usually punch pay inside to get around the pump limit and then give them the card inside.

I have never run into a problem with limits on non fuel purchases anywhere
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I use American Express because their customer service is better than MC and Visa, although even they are not as good as they used to be. There are a few places that don't accept amex but most fuel places do, especially the large ones.

I've had far more problems with credit card transactions in the last two years, especially with pay-at-the-pump transactions. The industry has become paranoid due to the high levels of fraud and that manifests itself as bogus "declines." I try to carry both a backup credit card and a day's worth of cash when traveling to avoid having my plans disrupted.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
MC, Visp

One of the problems that happens with multi use at the same pump is when you get the bill you think you have been double swiped. (2 purchases @ $75.00) You must keep a record of purchases as the MC/Visa will not process a complaint without some basis of documentation.

I have a national store chain MC and have never had a problem with purchases anywhere in the US or Canada. It is a pain with the pump limits of $75/per fill as I can take over 80 USgal on a normal fill. And I always like to fill so I can keep track of my milage.
Just another PITA that the new world brings.(not as painful as the price)

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I have never had these problems accept at fuel stops, requiring multiple card insertions at the pump in the US. Have not been in Canada since 9/11.

I did note while fueling at the RV pumps at a Flying J/pilot a sign saying that Mastercard purchases would shut off at $75.00 but Visa was good for $450. This was a week or 2 ago.

I put in $250. worth of fuel on my Visa with no problem. Have also found at FJ I can usually punch pay inside to get around the pump limit and then give them the card inside.

I have never run into a problem with limits on non fuel purchases anywhere
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
We got home yesterday from a 12,000 mile trip to the Eastern Provinces of Canada and Ontario.
My debit card was a pain to use at gas stations. Often wouldn't work or we had to go inside to pay, and often still wouldn't work. My visa NEVER had a problem.
Watch for full service lines at gas stations. At one busy station I accepted it because there was lots of traffic and it would have been hard to move to a self serve pump. The attendant did nothing but put the nozzle in. I asked if he was going to wash the windshield and he said, "I can't, I can't reach it. I'm only 5'2". We are still laughing about that one. BTW: Gas was about $5.50 a gallon wherever we went.
Debit quit working in North Carolina. We had to call and when we did the lady laughed and recited the places we'd tried to use it. They are only protecting us I suppose, but it was irritating.
Debit card worked great at ATMs for cash.
My advice: Try to use your cards but have a couple hundred dollars Canadian to back them up. We never had to use cash, but it was a comfort to know we could if we had to.
We saw icebergs in Newfoundland, and met wonderful people. Nova Scotia was delightful, as was Prince Edward Island. Quebec was also great. I used to go there on business and hated the snooty people. That was 30 years ago. We found folks very helpful there on this trip and especially liked "Oldtown Quebec City.
Newfoundlanders, they pronounce it New Fun Land are wonderful. One tent camper told us, "I try not to talk to these people because they tell me, "You don't have to sleep in that tent. Come home with us."
We boonie camped over half the time and never had a problem. Lots of countryside up there, and lots of back roads.
If you want input on the trip contact me at mjkvsk@gmail.com.
Matt
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

The industry has become paranoid due to the high levels of fraud and that manifests itself as bogus "declines." I try to carry both a backup credit card and a day's worth of cash when traveling to avoid having my plans disrupted.
I follow the same policy.

This winter while fueling my truck at Walmart I also used the pay at the pump feature for 2 gallons of gas for my generator.
I had learned at WM I could do the pay inside thing to bypass the limits for fueling the truck. When I went to pay the same card i had used at the pump was declined. Apparently the very small purchase immediately followed by a very large one triggered the fraud thing at Bank of America. I paid with another card. Within 10 minutes I got a call from BAC on my cellphone. I explained it was me and what happened and they immediately turned the card back on, but it is a good lesson in the need for back up. The other problem is the magnetic strips on the cards don't like living in a wallet neccesitating a back up plan also.
I also make sure I have a second copy of my ATM card available for this reason
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Just finished a 12,000 mile trip from South Texas to St. Anthony Newfoundland and all sorts of places in between. We encountered ONE station on the entire trip in US and Canada that stopped at $75.00.
Seems to me that problem is being rapidly fixed or we are the luckiest RVers in the country.
M
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote