Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #57
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
My ex-wife's VW Beetle TDI gets 45-48 in town and way over 50 on the highway with no Voo-Doo hybrid magic or who knows how expensive batteries that will need to be replaced. Smooth, quiet and powerful.....what else does one need for personal transportation?????????
My Wife's VW Jedda gets 40+ mpg every day of the week. You're right, plenty of power and comfort as well. That really is a powerful little diesel.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #58
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
MM-nice post on bio, E85, etc...

While I am under the impression I can run bio (up to 20% I believe) in my 06, I have yet to see it for sale anywhere in N.E.
I am pretty sure I do not want to run any $50k experiments either...

I also agree that when the financial markets settle down, and the dollar regains some strength, we should see a barrel of sludge come down in price.

Seems like we go through these price spikes every spring doesn't it?

I also agree, we could all use a little belt tightening and show a little more concern for our environment and (finite) resources.

Hopefuly all this is a wake up call to invest in other sustainable technologies. (Did I see a commercial for a fuel cell Honda last night?)

Welcome, Fiamma, you jumped into a hot one! Don't be scared, this is an emotional issue...always is when it hits the wallet!

Bill

Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #59
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Bill, IIRC, my '05 Ford PSD said 5% bio was OK but not more. I thought that was pretty low and probably a CYA figure some Ford engineer came up with to have insurance since bio was fairly new at the time of publishing. I haven't checked the owner's manual on my '08 to see if it is safe to run bio-diesel because I think the new diesel engines are probably too finicky.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #60
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The fuel wasted on driving around and shopping . . by folks in debt with almost no savings. That'd be a smart start. Bring back the Blue Laws and let's get rid of this 24-shopping and have at least one weekend day without retail being open. We somehow "survived" this until the retailers got greedy, but we lost that day when EVERYONE was off of work and had the opportunity to gather.

The beginning of the end means that we might wake up to more equitably using our resources, human and artificial. Time for recreation is what is missing, driving like banshees to have a "vacation" must feel ludicrous. RV'ng has a definite future.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #61
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
alternative fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
In France and Europe, gas is really more expensive that yours ( 1,50 Euro for 1 liter, 1 gal =3,8 liter ) so even if our cars have low consumptions, driving is expensive ( i don't speak about tolls, taxes and other to drive).
So do you see demonstrations or meetings in the streets over the world from drivers against the gas prices ? NO !

In fact, gas prices is a bad problem...
Only some choices to do cleverly and I try ...

bruno.
To complete my argument, in Europe , we are lucky to have an inexpensive "fuel" that all Airstream owners know... its name is LPG .

When the gas, today is at 1,50 Euro/ liter, the LPG is at "only " 0,55 Euro / liter... that is interesting ( Ethanol is at 0,85 E );

Here is my choice: I have equiped my F150 with that LPG system and one of my other all days working Ford Transit ( small E150). Same consumption as gas, same power so only the system is expensive ( 1000E for the E150 ( 4 cylinders, 2 liter) and 3500E for my F150 that tow the A/S ( 8 cylinders, 4.6 liter ). Some great cars brands offered you LPG option for free.

The great advantage of these equipment is the engines run for a very long time ( no carbon in the engine oil is one explanation ); Today I have 400 000 kilometers ( 248 548 miles if no error )with the same engine, without repairing it ...

Why this interesting energy system is not available in USA, why there is NO succes in France and even doen't exist in Germany ?

Simply because the price gas is not the problem... The proof : Nobody want a fuel system as the LPG for only the third of the gas price....

So finally an high price for the petrol barrel is not a business error... drivers are angry but they pay the cost...
... until what time or what price , that is the question...

Always my point of view.

bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #62
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Bruno-very interesting...LPG conversion is available here (anyone running this on their TV?) but is NOT available from mfr.
If it is available as a no cost option in France; why are not more using it?
Distribution? (That is one issue here, but not insurmountable).

Sounds like one option we should explore here. Far as I know most of our LP is domestic or from the Northern US (Canada)...

Bill
Old 04-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #63
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
LPG in France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Bruno-very interesting...LPG conversion is available here (anyone running this on their TV?) but is NOT available from mfr.
If it is available as a no cost option in France; why are not more using it?
Distribution? (That is one issue here, but not insurmountable).

Sounds like one option we should explore here. Far as I know most of our LP is domestic or from the Northern US (Canada)...

Bill
With the low fuel consumptions of our european cars, not many people were interested, even if at the pump, it's interesting; . In contrario, most of american cars here, are equiped because we can't imagine driving on the roads for a correct price without this conversion.

Then, when it was the beginning of this LPG tendancy, a few years ago , curiously there was news on TV, showing LPG cars explosions when fire in parkings ... and people were afraid to explose in their cars . Even me, some neighbors told me to park a bit far away were we live

i think that this kind of anti LPG mediatization comes from some major petrol groups that prefer selling gas instead of LPG and they successed :
Except some korean mfr, no more other brands give you the LPG option. so you can equiped ( as i've done) your car with private dealers BUT mfr don't give you no more the engine guaranty....

Now they began to propose you the Ethanol in option and it always more expensive that LPG : incredible !!!!
Plus, Ethanol distribution is non existent in France ( i know only one station far from my town) when most of the gas stations have the LPG pump ( and in this way, I can refill my aistream gaz bottles there, as you can do in USA).

here is the situation.

bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I am not trying to be scarcastic, angry or anything else. Just putting forth my thoughts about what I read about the price of fuel and what we can do about it.

First I believe you are wasting you'r money on conversions to propane/nautral gas or anything else.

If there were a real issue with supply and demand the OIL companies would be switching alternitive fuels. They are not and don't intend too. WHY????
Because there is enough crude under the earth to supply the world with gas and diesel for the next 200 years at projected growth.

It is not going to be any cheaper to switch to alternate fuels, in the long run, because of this.

The price of diesel and gas is contolled by government agreements with OPEC and futures dealers and the World Bank.

WE have plenty of crude of our own. We just can't use it for fear of the deminishing dollar. IF We don't buy a preset amount of fuel from OPEC they will flood the world with cheap curde and destroy our dollar.

If you notice all the talk about hybrids and diesels and you think you are going to operate them any cheaper than regular gas,,,,NO. NOT in the long run.

Ford for example is only planning to put diesels in trucks for the most part. So are most of the other manufacturers. They will work on gas motors to become for efficient in the future of coarse. All maunufacturers and going this route.

I am only stating these things because of what I read from various sources. It comes down to spending a lot of money on alternater fuels that are hard to find (unless all gas stations carry them) is a waist of time and money.

Buy the most fuel efficent vehicle for your needs and forget all the modifications. It coasts too much an is too inconvienient unless you have your own local E-85 supplier or Biodiesel distrubtor in your town. That goes for propane. Why change when propane is or will cost as much as gas?

Just my two cents. Have a great day and don't sweat the small stuff. OUR national debt. is being paid off by your visit to the gas pump...goodday...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Bruno, when I left Italy two years ago, there were a number of LPG vehicles on the road. I wish I could remember the makes and models, one was a quasi-SUV that I thought was spectacular, it was also used as a commercial vehicles. It's driving me crazy that I can't think of the name of it! Everyone I knew who had one LOVED it, but finding fueling stations that supplied it was difficult. They were hybrids, though, able to run on LPG or traditional benzina. Personally, I either took mass transit or drove my 1973 Fiat 500, the car that my cousin laughingly said that you could parallel park with a shoulder strap. Ran on regular gas but got incredible mileage. VERY slow on any kind of incline, but was great fun. I miss that car. It's barely visible in the sun behind the fence...

As for the discussion of alternative fuels, I'll keep it at this:

Simply put, vegetable-based fuel = renewable resource.
Fossil fuel = non-renewable resource, meaning a limited supply that we cannot replenish. We WILL run out at some point--not immediately, but it WILL happen.
The ecological impact of responsible agriculture is minimal compared to petroleum drilling. The environmental impact of alternative fuels is minimal compared to petroleum-based fuels. Many more countries and peoples have access to agriculture that do not have access to oil wells.

If there were easy or clear or cheap solutions, this subject would be a no-brainer, and it's not. There are valid arguments on all sides of the issue, some of which have been expressed here. However, when everything is tallied up, I'm still a firm believer in alternative energy sources, and that includes biodiesel, ethanol, and veggie oil conversions. It also includes wind, water, and solar power (plan on equipping my Airstream with solar panels and using a solar oven whenever possible). I'm excited to see what new technologies come up with, such as hydrogen engines.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
To paraphrase Michael Crichton, the stone age didn't end because man ran out of stone. It ended because he found a better technology. Just a hunch, but I suspect that we will find a better technology long before we run out of oil. Am I saying we shouldn't conserve? No. Am I saying hybrids and other current exotic solutions/fuels have no value? No. I'm just saying that there is likely a genuine solution that is not obvious at the present time.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Ford for 08 says you can only run 5% bio diesel.

I am to for renewable resource based fuels. I wish we could get methenal progress moveing at a faster pace. MY statement is mearly a reality based message that says. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN TILL THE OIL COMPANYS WANT IT TO HAPPEN. We can wish for many things but in reality it takes hudge investments for manufacture and distribution and since the only ones who can do that are Chevron, Shell, Exxon etc. They will need to get involved. And they have no intention of selling anything in nationwide volume except gas and diesel for the forseeable future.

Just think how the inviorment would clean up if we burned eathonol. It is used in race cars that produce 800 hp and more. Clean...very clean.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
To paraphrase Michael Crichton, the stone age didn't end because man ran out of stone. It ended because he found a better technology. Just a hunch, but I suspect that we will find a better technology long before we run out of oil. Am I saying we shouldn't conserve? No. Am I saying hybrids and other current exotic solutions/fuels have no value? No. I'm just saying that there is likely a genuine solution that is not obvious at the present time.
The technology exists already to produce clean autos with much better fuel mileage. That technology will grow in leaps and bounds in the future. There is too much at stake for the US economy to make a significant change to these products as long as the present agreements with the OPEC states exists.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
$how much?

eek
i just ran a conversion
in england the average price for a liter of unleaded is 1.10 GBP.
converting liter to us gallon makes 4.16 GBP then from GBP to USD (xe.com) = $8.23 per gallon. Just as well they don't have to drive that far!
Fossil fuel will go the way of the dodo
Here's an interesting article from GM
GM Says Americans Won't Give Up SUVs, But They'll Plug Them In | Autopia from Wired.com
Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Everyone seems to think that Canadian oil or more exploration in the wilderness areas will lower the price of oil. Who cares how much oil we have in North America when we are paying world prices?

There seems to be very, very little benefit to having oil here when the price is the same as when it comes from the middle east. Just ask the people in Alberta why they are paying the exact same price for a gallon of gas as the people in Ontario. World price is world price. The only people making out like bandits in all of this are the companies producing the oil in Alberta.

I see very little economic benefit to 99% of consumers having our own oil in North America when we continue to pay world prices for it.