Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #81
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I grew up camping with my family in a VW named "Schultz". I cried when dad sold it! That was followed by a truck camper, then I became too cool to camp with my parents, so switched to tent camping. After getting married, we tent camped, first on the ground and then in a truck-bed tent. After borrowing my parents' fifth wheel for a camping trip, we decided we would enjoy camping a bit more in a trailer. It was left up to me to decide what kind of trailer to buy, and the rest is history...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Started out car camping with my parents. When I got old enough mid teen's in the late '60's started back packing. Made my own pack and pack frame. Used that twice. :-) bought a pack. Went a few times, year round, snow camped with out a tent. Spurce bough bed. Nearly froze to death one trip, would have if I had been alone, fell though the ice crossing a stream. I prefer to back pack solo. Met Karen in '73' boondock honeymoon in a loaner Winnebago. Through the years while the kids were growing, we tent camped. She didn't like to back pack so she would car camp and I would either join her or take off on a side backpack trip. Usually only once or twice per year. Son joined me a few times but daughters stayed with Karen on those trips. I also have noticed that the the ground is no longer flat or smooth and I can't sleep through the night. Furthermore, the trails in Colorado are up hill, both ways. Last year bought a 12x15 canvas wall tent with stove. Used it once. Like it but am really looking forward to the 6 meter. Heald off buying SOB because I knew I wouldn't be happy.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Tent camping in the beginning and throughout much of my camping life.

Life with the Airstream is soooo much better now!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
the gamut

Started with my parents and grandad in a tent on the mississippi, they graduated to a popup trailer (most exciting was bears in the campground in Yosemite, they broke into our cooler and we were not sure that they would not tear the canvas in our popup apart!!!) then went to a trailer that carried motorcycles ( before they were "toyhaulers") and then finally to a Class A MoHo. Now both my brothers and my parents have Class A's BUT none as classy as ours
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
the gamut

Started with my parents and grandad in a tent on the mississippi, they graduated to a popup trailer (most exciting was bears in the campground in Yosemite, they broke into our cooler and we were not sure that they would not tear the canvas in our popup apart!!!) then went to a trailer that carried motorcycles ( before they were "toyhaulers") and then finally to a Class A MoHo. Now both my brothers and my parents have Class A's BUT none as classy as ours
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
My younger days were ether camping in a tent, or sleeping in the back of the families 1972 Chevy Blazer. The Blazer has been resting in the barn since 1996.
Bought our first travel trailer (77 Wilderness) and towed it with a 1985 full size GMC Jimmy. This combo was slow and unstable
Moved on to a 1978 Class C Monaco motorhome. Needed a fuel tanker to follow it.
Next was a 1996 Weekender cabover camper on our current truck. Should have been called a backpack.
Bought the Airstream in the summer of 2002, and have had nothing but great memories
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Camped in canvas every summer from an infant to 18 yrs with my mom, dad, and siblings.

12 years in the army cured me of camping for a long, long time.

Following my army experience, it took me 13 years before buying my family's first and current camper.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Anyone out there "camped" in one of the Trail Manor (or other vintage but very nice park-style) models during younger days?
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #89
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Tents, then a VW Westfalia, then a Scamp Trailer, then a VW Eurovan Camper, then an *AIRSTREAM*...ahhhhh.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #90
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
[quote=zamboni]I hear everyone say that they used to own a "XXX" or SOB before they got their AS. I think many of us have worked our way up the "ranks" of camping in one way or another.
quote]

Sandi and I actually went right from a Cabela's Alaskian Guide tent into our Safari. We totally cut out the middle guys.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
rickandsandi, What? And missed all that cranking up and down? ! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelton , Pacific Northwest
Started out backpacking as a kid, no tent, just a plastic A-frame to keep the dew off us. A pup tent when I got married, the kind with guy ropes to keep it up. Self standing backpacking tent when they came out, an old Alaskan camper when we had kids, and now a vintage airstream project when the kids are grown. AS is still not in use so made our 1700 mile trek south this winter and tent camped again, it hurts too much to sleep on the ground, even with a therma rest pad!
tntssafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Before we Airstreamed we would Tow-Lite, before that Jayco fold-downs and before that it was a dome tent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	32179   Click image for larger version

Name:	towlite.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	32180  

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #94
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Backpacking and tents were the beginning.........

Sold the house in Y2K and bought a 40' Monaco Dynasty MoHo and full timed in it for 5 years........

Sold that in '05 and bought a house in FL.............

Needed a new RV so I bought the '06 19CCD..........GREAT MOVE!!!

I tell most of my clients that remember my MoHo that the Airstream will fit in their living room of their 4 slide 45' 'rolling homes' now......they just can't believe it!!! .........

I think it's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #95
tincantom

1975 25' Tradewind
Crossville , Tennessee
Thumbs up ah-h-h progress

Started tent camping as a youngster. My first few years in the Army cured me of ever wanting to do that again. After the Army we camped in a Chevy hi-top van with a reclining rear seat complete with 12v cooler. Rented a pop-up once and a Scotty another time. Decided to follow a long-time desire and purchased our first '67 Airstream. Still don't know what it was since the plaque by the door had "Land Yacht", "Globe Trotter" and "Caravelle" all on it. Wife didn't like the gaucho (but I still wish I had it back). Sold that to a couple headed for Alaska and bought a brand new '93 Excella 30' with dinette and queen bed (wife wishes we still had this one), but fulltiming dictated more storage so on to the '93 34' . All were great in their own way.
tincantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
"And The Beat Goes On".......

I guess as a very young boy, I was always fascinated by big mechanical things....Grandpa had that big ol' dull silver thing tucked in the backyard next to the garage, and they disappeared the day after Christmas every year, and came back every Easter, or thereabouts, all golden brown, and healthy looking.....wow, was I envious..... As i got a little older, I realized this was their Avion, and Mom and Dad and I even got to spend one night in that little 21 footer back in March of 66, down in Pompano Beach, on the first night of out 2 wk vacation in Fla. (gave a whole new meaning to cramped!)
But then Gramps sold the 21 footer in the fall of 68, and Grandma told him she liked the inside of the all new redesigned Airstream 23' Safari for 69....so that clinched it. Guess up until then, for me, it was the week during the summer at the family cottage in Canada, on Lake Erie, and an occasional trip up north to stay a few days at whoever's cabin, and we'd snowmobile, and ski, but the "grups" would be preoccupied with cards, food, and the consumption of many cases of whatever barley and hops mixtures they could procure.....

Guess it was that first summer of 1969, the G'Parents had just arrived back home from their first winter in Pompano with the new Airstream, and they asked me if I wanted to join them that summer, during my summer break, and tour the west. I jumped at the chance, and I enjoyed the next 6 summers with them, a few times they were already here in the driveway, the last day of school, with my mom, packing the trailer, with all my supplies, and we would not be back til late July, or early August, some years. I can still hear a couple of my buddies, on our school bus saying how cool it was that I was leaving that afternoon with my G'Parents in that cool trailer!!
We attended several WBCCI International Rallies in those years, and I have fond recollections of all of them..... Gramps was forced to sell the beloved Safari in the fall of 76, due to his failing health. He passed away in the Spring of 78. Grandma, on the other hand, she was a tough old bird.....but had a little problem with her "recipe", at least one or two "belts" every evening after dinner.....we all told her it was going to be her downfall one day....we were right.....that "recipe" finally got her.....she passed away in 1996, at the ripe old age of 96!!!!

But in my teen and later years, I never really could muster the motivation to tent camp on the hard floor in the woods....so around 1980 or so, began my love affair with Chris Crafts...and to date have owned three. This was my own version of a floating cottage/RV/and "chick magnet" all wrapped into one!!! (What a concept!!)

Married in 92, (thought to my "life partner") and we did the requisite trips all over the area in the big boat, had a blast, but within a few years, kids, real life, troubles in the marriage, and the economy here in MI led to a new beginning in my life. Guess I had been "lurking" around on various Airstream sites, ebay, and nosing around locally, looking at an occasional trailer for years.... When i expressed the desire to rekindle my aluminum fever, so prevolent in my earlier years, i was met by a huge resounding "NO", and that evolved into a threat that if I ever brought one of those "damned old ugly silver things" into our driveway, that would be the end....I further added fuel to the smoke by expressing my desire (being an old car nut too) to bring home an old Ford or Merc Woody wagon home too, to pull the Airstream!!!

Well, long story short, the marriage was over by 01, but not finalized until 05. Life is now once again happy, and optimistic.... The 1969 23' Safari is tucked away next to my garage now...a duplicate trailer to my G'Parents, and my two kids (10 and 12) are ecstatic, and ready and rarin' to "break 'er in" this spring....

Attached are two pix....First one was taken in the spring of 1975, me visiting my G'Parents in Pompano Beach, at Easter Break. (dig my CRAZY red velvet bow tie!!) Second pic...32 years later, me applying the "Big Red Numbers" (next successive #'s to GP's) on my own 69 23' Safari.

Somewhere I still have that tie.....one day all that wild 70's stuff is gonna come back...you mark my words!!!

"And The Beat Goes On!"......

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich
WBCCI #22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	32389   Click image for larger version

Name:	dad22426numbers.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	32390  

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Neat story Scott. You have some wonderful memories to relive, and an opportunity to create the same with the kids. As for the bowtie though - maybe let the kids decide if you should wear it again .

In the pic with the bt it looks like a late sixties Oldsmobile, tan or gold colored, off the side. Was that the tow vehicle they used? Have you managed to find that woody yet?

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Hey Barry...

Whatcha sayin' here??? Ya don't like my red velvet bow tie, eh???

I dunno, compared to what some of the younger set are wearing today, with the boys and their pants down around their knees, maybe my bow tie isn't so bad after all!!!!

Regarding all the great memories of those days... yup, it surely was an awesome childhood....those experiences will always be treasured!! I would only hope to show my kids a small bit of the experiences I had once, a long time ago.

You have a keen eye for cars too, I am guessing..... Yup, The last TV Gramps had was a 69 Olds Delta 88 4 dr Sedan. Big ol 455 engine, heavy tow package, a real workhorse... I think that car had over 140k on the ticker when Gramps sold the Airstream in 76....

And no, though I have a couple leads on a few woody wagons, no purchases yet. Patience....Patience......

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #99
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander31
And no, though I have a couple leads on a few woody wagons, no purchases yet. Patience....Patience......
Too bad you can't find a 72 vista cruiser, it should be more than a match for the Safari--if you can locate one in good shape.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Had a break in the weather here this week...the kids are buggin' to tent camp in the back yard! ) Man i wish winter was over. I think I'll break the seal and un-winterize this weekend...bring her home for a good cleaning, check over, etc.
Kids are on Spring Break later this month and we're going to Hawn SP last weekend of March.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote