Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC
Theft, vandalisim.
Whenever I see a comment like this, I can't help thinking...where do you live?
And why?

Maybe I am naive, and I know stuff can happen anywhere, but crime would be on the bottom of my list. I have yet to lock my AS when it is in my yard. Heck, I leave the keys in my car and the doors to the house unlocked. I don't think I could live in an area where I did not feel this comfortable.

As a matter of fact, I lived on the left coast for a brief time when I was a young (er) man, and that is one of the reasons I could not wait to get back to New England. We may have winter (yeah-skiing!) but we are pretty safe here...I feel bad for folks who have to worry a lot about crime. Too bad there are people waiting steal/damage hard earned property...
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
And why?

Maybe I am naive, and I know stuff can happen anywhere, but crime would be on the bottom of my list. I have yet to lock my AS when it is in my yard. Heck, I leave the keys in my car and the doors to the house unlocked. I don't think I could live in an area where I did not feel this comfortable.

As a matter of fact, I lived on the left coast for a brief time when I was a young (er) man, and that is one of the reasons I could not wait to get back to New England. We may have winter (yeah-skiing!) but we are pretty safe here...I feel bad for folks who have to worry a lot about crime. Too bad there are people waiting steal/damage hard earned property...
You really need to check out a program on the Discovery Channel called "It Takes a Thief". It will open your eyes my nieve friend.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #23
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
The fear associated with the risk of loss or physical damage can be limited to an extent by insurance and it can be controlled by careful driving and diligent maintenance practices and such.

The fear of someday not being able to use and enjoy it is a different kind of fear. We never have total control of our destiny.

Q: So what are you going to do?
A: Get off your computer and get back into enjoying your Airstream! And as Bob Marley said: “Don’t worry, be happy.”
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Q: So what are you going to do?
A: Get off your computer and get back into enjoying your Airstream! And as Bob Marley said: “Don’t worry, be happy.”
Bob may have said this...he was before my time. But more recently it was one hit wonder Bobby McFarrin circa my wedding date 18 years ago next month, BTW.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
I have a question: What fears might you have of owning your Airstream?

codybear,you started this thread.What fears do you have of owning your Airstream?

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #26

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Hail, definitely hail, no overpass in sight.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Taking the edge off fear

I used to be concerned about the various small dents on my '67 Safari, until a deer ran into me (Front left corner) while traveling down the interstate. It took a lot of the apprehension away. It really wasn't a gleaming "beauty queen" anyway!

After I took off the interior walls and kicked and banged out what I could, I re-installed the interior panels and am now enjoying my AS again. I'm sure a handfull of $100's could make it look good again but I'll let the next owner make that decision. Meanwhile, one can't tell what the outside looks like while you're inside and everything works as before. Fog
Fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
What am I afraid of.....
1, Not having the time to go.
2, Theft, damage.
3, One day being too old and inform to go.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
What am I afraid of.....
1, Not having the time to go.
2, Theft, damage.
3, One day being too old and inform to go.
me too. I don't want to run out of time, health or money for sites or gas!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker
I used to be concerned about the various small dents on my '67 Safari, until a deer ran into me (Front left corner) while traveling down the interstate. It took a lot of the apprehension away. It really wasn't a gleaming "beauty queen" anyway!

After I took off the interior walls and kicked and banged out what I could, I re-installed the interior panels and am now enjoying my AS again. I'm sure a handfull of $100's could make it look good again but I'll let the next owner make that decision. Meanwhile, one can't tell what the outside looks like while you're inside and everything works as before. Fog
My deer got the right front corner on Father's Day week end...when it was just two weeks old. Better make that two handfulls of $100's! Voice of experience. Ours was gleaming new beauty. After a trip to JC, she is again.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #31
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Quote:
And why?
Tex, the National Average for property crimes is 3,617.9 per 100,000 people.

Bristol's average for property crimes is 1,801.3 per 100,000.

Not bad, but not good enough to leave doors open or keys in the lock...you are rolling the dice on this one.
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- I'd like to take ours to some vacant land we own and park it there to use as our retreat for a while, but would be afraid of yahoos messing with it, or theft of the entire rig. This might be misplaced fear, but we risk finding out the hard way. So in my driveway it will stay, where my only fear is that we will never go anywhere with it! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Anytime you leave something unattended you have a certain uneasiness about it. That's human nature.

I recently lost my digital camera because, dummy that I am, I left it on my front seat in a parking garage. I set my "anti-theft" device that came on my truck from the factory. Thing is that is a misnomer as this isn't a burglar alarm. Little did I know that the anti-theft device Ford installs at the factory just locks the doors, cuts power to the fuel pump, flashes the lights and blows the horn once (like a burglar alarm). It keeps someone from stealing the vehicle, but not its contents. Strange, though, my wife's Expedition has a real burglar alarm from the factory, we have found out by opening the door when it was set before. The police officer that took the report said that there were alot of Ford and GM products that were broken into in the downtown area the same way mine was.

The perp takes a flat head screw driver and hammer and pops the surround around the flush door handle out and reaches in and push up on the door lock mechanism. There was a grease smear on my front seat. My Ford service rep said that he'd seen this so much that it was on Ford's list of re-design criteria for all models.

Long and short, TexBill and everyone else, even when you think you are safe and secure, you aren't if someone wants in. My next accessory will be a real burglar alarm for my truck.

Until we started watching the show "It Takes A Thief" we thought like TexBill that we lived in a safe community even to the point that I had come in from work to find the back door or front door adjar on more than one occassion from where my wife had let the dog out before she left for work and just not pulled it to. Nothing missing and the dog still in the house. After watching the show a few times, we got in the habit of setting the burglar alarm every time we leave the house.

Comfort is a luxury we just no longer have anywhere in this country.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
me too. I don't want to run out of time, health or money for sites or gas!
You know thats the biggest fear. We will retire in about 20 years and we figured if we waited til then we'd run the risk of being too sickley or set in our ways to go. So we tightened our belts and are doing without some luxury items so we could start now and enjoy til the end. Heck it may even be our retirement home.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Even if it isn't your full time retirement home, it can be your part time retirement home.

I think my biggest fear is another round of damage to it of any kind. I just don't want to have to go to Ohio for repairs. I want the next Ohio trip to be part of a vacation experience.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #36
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Bob may have said this...he was before my time. But more recently it was one hit wonder Bobby McFarrin circa my wedding date 18 years ago next month, BTW.
Your probably right, I should always have my wife proof read my stuff- -she's good at correcting the errors of my ways..... well at least pointing out my errors.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
We will retire in about 20 years and we figured if we waited til then we'd run the risk of being too sickley or set in our ways to go. So we tightened our belts and are doing without some luxury items so we could start now and enjoy til the end.
Hi Goin camping,

You are definitely on the right road, tomorrow is a long way aways.

I have 8 more years till retirement,and I wouldn't trade my past adventures for for any material object.

As they say," this ain't a dress rehearsal ".

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #38
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
"The good Lord put me on this Earth to do a specific number of things...I am so far behind I will never DIE!"...not getting the D**N thing done before I die

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Running out of time before I get to see much much more

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Great Posts! I now know I have a plethora of things to be afraid of and to worry about!!!

Our Safari has dents, yes; we live on a corner, where one morning we were awakened by a large 'klunk'.. followed by the local police..apparently a stolen suv had found its way careening into our safari's lower left panel..but that was ok..we just pushed the dent out...also moved the fence out so that our Safari is now 'inside' our fence/backyard..

Vandalism: yes; when it was parked outside the fence, during Halloween time, sometimes kids would throw eggs at the side..good thing we'd get to the Safari in time the next mornng and clean it off, so that the coating wouldn't start getting damaged. when will people respect the property of others???

Hail. Hurricanes: don't know what that's like, yet.
Trees: only when my husband backed into our tree: had to replace rear window, no problem

Theft, deer, not yet. Which raises the question, how many of you have installed alarms in your Airstream?..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote