Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Bass Pro+Cabela's=Cass Pro?

So fortunatly or unfortunately two of our favorite stores are becoming one.

Most of you have likely shopped at one or both in person or online.

It would be interesting to know the full story and dynamics about a merger/acquisition of that size. Surely from a dollars and cents perspective it must make sense on their end but just thinking it through it seems like a logistical feat and employment debacle of sorts.

We like both stores and have our favorite items at each. We are also lucky to live in a metropolitan area that has both stores. They are both newer stores, large, big parking lots in nice shopping areas.

We feel for employees who may loose jobs in an already difficult market.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Just please don't get rid of the Cabela's 7 pocket shorts in the process. And no, Bass's shorts, (copy thereof) are not a substitute.

How will this impact you?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
We have Bass Pro shops in Florida. Every year when we travel to Maine we made a point to stop in Cabela's because it was perceived as something "different"

Now, we'll scratch that stop off our list.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Interesting...haven't heard about this merger. I shop at Academy myself. Prices seem better.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Nothing is forever. 40 years ago, Sears and Macy's seemed like they were the solid rock foundation in their respective markets. Now they are barely hanging on. Barnes & Noble has all but been replaced by Amazon. It seems very difficult for a successful business to adapt to change. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," isn't always reliable advice when you're living through a time of change. I'm sure the merger of Bass and Cabelas is intended to solidify the position of the survivor in today's market, but what about tomorrow's market?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
McDave you are correct.

Who would have ever thought about some of these retail or big manufacturer scenarios.

Most of the time we don't even know who owns what.

I remember being surprised by Sears being bought by Kmart when neither was doing well. When you read about the stores retail giant Federated has acquired it's like a trip down memory lane.

Hang in there Cabela's and Bass Pro employees.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm amazed that Lowe's and Home Depot haven't merged.
All mergers lead to less competition, more money for the CEO's, and fewer employees. The buyer's stock goes down and seller's stock goes up. At least for a while.

I was surprised there's no Cabela's in Florida.
Cabela's Pro Shop? Bassbela's?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Cabela's took pride in its Midwestern roots, family-like atmosphere, and wide range of outdoor equipment. Although they had a smallish number of stores, their catalog/online business was quite visible. I have long bought casual and outdoor clothing from them for camping, boating, hiking, etc.
I always viewed Bass Pro as primarily fishing stuff, although I admit not giving them much opportunity for my business. If the merger or acquisition helps them survive that is wonderful. Amazon hasn't really provided a lot of competition for either of them, yet. So maybe this is just simply a goodbye to Cabela's and hello to Bass Pro.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
In our nearby small town we had a family-owned lumber/hardware store called Sutherlands. Then Home Depot came to town.
I bought a gate latch from HD and they didn't have the other items I needed...so I paid for the latch and went to see if Sutherlands could help me.
Sutherlands had what I needed....but what's more, they had the identical brand/model gate-latch for a dollar less.... so I bought it and returned the previous latch to HD.
The HD clerk asked why I was returning the product and when I told them she replied, "We will match any competitor's pricing as well as discount it 10%"....expecting me to take that deal.
NO!, I told her. Because after you run the small family store out of business you'll be the only game in town and charge whatever you like.

Sutherlands lasted another year before being under-cut/out-advertised by HD, and then Sutherlands folded. There's a rather shoddy Goodwill store and liquor store in that bldg now, .... and Lowe's opened up down the road.
HD and Lowes carry different brand-lines in many cases. Lowe's employees stand around visiting with each other ignoring customers, and HD employees seem unknowledgeable about products because HD switches suppliers so often ...repair products for items purchased there last year are no longer carried.
Sutherlands always were helpful, knowledgeable about their product lines, and quickly ordered/delivered anything they didn't have in-stock.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FAMILY-OWNED BUSINESSES. IMO.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I don't believe the feathers have settled over this issue. This proposed buyout has been under scrutiny of the FTC for several months and the deal may be in jeopardy.

Here is some 411:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...as-inc-is.aspx

There is another more recent news source that is trying to attribute the deal failure to the election related issues. But let's not let politics and the reported decline in the sale of certain items enter this discussion - Moderator Mode.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Geez we got a warning prior to even getting close to thinking about going there.🤗

Thx for reminder Kev.

We had a chance to visit the newer very large Bass Pro store in Springfield Mo when we passed thru last summer. It was a beautiful store and a nice update from the small cramped founding location.

We've also been to the founding Sydney NE Cabelas store.

Both likely have several generations of family members who are working there.

We do try to support local when we can and particularly like to frequent local eateries when we travel.

It's a delicate balance between best price, convenience, industry expertise, local and brand loyalty.

Hittenstiehl
Old 03-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In today's Amazon world corporate leaders who are responsible and working as they should on revolving five-ten year plans realize they consolidate, take the best of each, downsize number of locations or close. This year literally hundreds of large stores and or chains will close, we hope this new combination makes it, we like them both.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have both stores here.

I have found for our family, that Cabbalas has far nicer quality and selection of Men's leisure and outdoor clothing. In fact, their selection is so good that we now go there first to look for DH who isn't such a fan of shopping. He almost always finds choices there to pick from in his size. Much easier than going to 4 or 5 other stores to find out that they get 1 XL and it has already been sold.

My impression of Bass Pro clothes is that the are competing in a different market, where price is more important. (More like Kohls or Walmart than LL Bean or Northface or REI)

To grossly overgeneralize, Bass Pro is geard for fishing, and Cabbalas is geared for hunting.

Camping gear is much better in selection and quality at Cabbalas.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We have both stores here, and Cabela's has better quality merchandise by far. Whatever happens, I hope we don't lose that much. Additionally, maybe because this is Texas, their focus on hunting and fire arms predominates. Nobody else comes close to offering the selection and customer service where guns are concerned.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
To grossly overgeneralize, Bass Pro is geard for fishing, and Cabbalas is geared for hunting.
This is consistent with the scuttlebutt I've heard. Word is that the intent is to keep both the Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop branding as separately named entities under single ownership with Cabela's being more hunting oriented, and Bass Pro more fishing.

No idea if this is true.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Much like Kmart and Sears. Separate brands under one roof. Hope it works better for this joining.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Going Where , The Climate Suits Our Clothes
I hope they keep the Bargain cave at Cabela's. It's always worth a walk through.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I've always thought of BassPro as the walmart of outdoors stores, and Cabelas as a step or two up. A few years ago when the Cabelas family sold out to venture capitalists, I thought the atmosphere in Cabelas changed a bit.. Not for the better.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote