Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Basal Cell Carcinoma

Hi, I would like to see if any other Airstreamers have had the skin Cancer called Basal Cell Carcinoma. I know there are many types of Cancer and other types of skin Cancer, but I would like this thread to be only about Basal Cell Carcinoma. I will start by saying since last year I have had four surgeries for this; The last surgery was this past Friday. [May 25th 2012] Basal Cell Carcinoma is basically a non-life threatening Cancer if treated reasonably soon.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Robert, my neighbor a New Zealander has suffered from this for years. He sometimes has several surgeries a year. Sometime he has to use a topical ointment for several that basically generates a burning process that takes off a layer of skin. This part is extremely painful. All in all though he is in good humor about the condition and we usually go out after the procedures and heft a few. For him this, condition while not life threatening is life lasting.
If you'd like I could put in touch with him. He's a great guy and one of my best friends.
Not to change the subject but we will be taking our own random trips this year out of necessity as everything is booked. We have a gen set so I am not worried.
Kindest regards'
Dan
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Encinitas , California
I've had a couple of those cut out of me with a knife. One left a good dueling scar on my right cheek, the other left a white spot on my shoulder. No big deal. If it happens again, I'm OK with it.
Star-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I had one removed from my lip in Feb. It is non life threatening if caught early...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I had a fairly large one cut out of my leg and irradiated 30 years ago. No re occurrence. You could likely get better data on Healing Well forums.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
This a joke. Has absolutely nothing to do with Airstream or RVing in general. I'm sure there are plenty of morbid medical threads where you people can go to discuss your various illnesses it that's your thing. I ask this entire thread be removed.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I've had several rounds with this. The first surgical procedure about thirty years ago, the most recent about four years ago. I've used the chemo salve twice, once on my forehead, the other on my forearms. The surgeries were on the forehead (2) and scalp. Doctors have frozen several pre-cancerous spots over a period of several years.

Too bad I inherited my mom's fair Irish skin rather than the darker Portuguese of my dad's family.

Gene
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
This a joke. Has absolutely nothing to do with Airstream or RVing in general. I'm sure there are plenty of morbid medical threads where you people can go to discuss your various illnesses it that's your thing. I ask this entire thread be removed.
If you don't like it, simply go to "thread tools" at the top of this thread. Select "ignore this thread", and you will never see it again.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
This is one non-surgical approach which has had some success:
Amazon.com: Curaderm Bec5 20 ml Cream: Health & Personal Care
Another is to take powdered vitamin C, mix it with water to make a paste and apply it several times a day with a Q-Tip to the affected area.
Both approaches will take 2-3 weeks before any difference will be apparent.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
"you people"? This thread is in the off topic forum. Given that the RV lifestyle generally includes a fair amount of outdoor activity the subject likely strikes close to many here. If there is a legitimate concern or complaint concerning posted content please use the report post button. Briefly describe the concern and we will look into it.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that Robert Sunrus is a teacher, hence the gathering of statistics.

If I am correct he recently did a survey here on religious beliefs. A sociology professor, perhaps?

I had a tiny basal cell carcinoma removed from my face about 15 years ago, no recurrence, left a small scar such as from chicken pox. I have been more diligent since then about using an SPF 30-50 on my face at all times.

Maggie
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Robert

This is an example of how I learn so much from this forum on topics where I used to be clueless. Thanks for posting.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I have had four.....three of them the Doc froze off my arms. The last one I froze off my hand with wart remover.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have had both Basal (3) and Squamous Cell Carcinoma (2). They are very similar in cause, appearance and effects. Latest was just three weeks ago. I had a Squamous removed. Annoying, but all is good, the labs all came back as clear after the surgery. Did leave a nice three inch scar on my shoulder.
By the way to the negative poster, this is the perfect place for this to be discused. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
My 1st skin cancer was removed by the salve in 1980 Since that time I have many more removed. After you have a few you will be able to identify a difference quickly and go see your dermatologist. caught early they can be frozen and are gone. I have had them on my back,arms and face. Some of mine look simular to a small pimple or blister that doesnt head or a sore that doesnt heal. The ones that look like a blister or pimple are surgically removed and biopsied. The sores that dont heal are usually frozen. I have also had some that were squamous cell. As we age our skin changes and we get some growths that my Doctor calls the barnacles of life tht are not cancerous (just ugly) The best thing you can do is examine your body when you get out of the shower and watch for any changes in skin Good luck and may you keep a good watch. I am 76 and have a body full of barnacles like an old boat. Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Robert,

I had one removed about 4 years ago. They had to make a rather large incision and I have about an inch and a half scar to show for it. The guy was good and you can hardly see the thing.

The key point here is that you need to remain diligent about any changes you see on your skin. It also helps to go in for regular checks and take care of things early. Keep using the sun screen and you should be good to go for the duration.

I am glad to hear that it all worked out for you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
It is in the off topic forum and I think is relevant to people like air streamers who spend time outside. I also have sun related skin problems and must wear long sleeved shirts and a good hat when outside. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Good topic and an important health issue especially for those outside a lot. DH has had several removed - all in areas exposed daily to sun. He now goes annually to the dermatologist for a full body exam. They have lovely and young techs who do this and so he seems fairly willing

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Yet another "victim" here. I have had several removed. I am fair skinned and have spent a large portion of my life working out of doors. Usually they have been frozen off, with just a couple being removed surgically. Now I wear long sleeved shirts and hats when working out of doors for extended periods.

I need to find out the name of the clinic Janet's husband uses...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If you know me you will notice that I now wear two shirts, a wide brim cowboy hat and glisten with sun screen. My life has always been in the tropics, sailing, working and playing outside. Five years ago I got the worst diagnosis and after treatments I see a dermatologist every six months for a tune up. I guess I will always be known a Robin Two Shirts.