Old 06-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
This a joke. Has absolutely nothing to do with Airstream or RVing in general. I'm sure there are plenty of morbid medical threads where you people can go to discuss your various illnesses it that's your thing. I ask this entire thread be removed.
I disagree. It is a statistical fact that long hours on the road leads increased risk of skin cancer. In fact, in my generation and the generation preceding, the overwhelming evidence shows that Men are more likely to develop skin cancer on their left sides and Women on their right, primarily due to the prevalent driving/riding position habits of the occupants. I think this is very relevant to those who seek recreation "on the road". Now as to whether those same folks who sit beside their highly reflective trailers in the Desert Sun also have a higher risk... thats a topic for speculation, but still worthy of discussion.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Robert -

Best of luck with your recovery.

I have very fair skin and have lived in sunny regions my whole life. As a result, I have had numerous basal cell and one squamous cell removed. I now am very diligent about wearing sunscreen, broad brimmed hats, and sun sleeves when outdoors. I also go into the derm every 6 mos for a checkup - however there is no substitute for checking yourself since that is how I have discovered every single one of them.

Everyone should learn what the 3 types look like so they know what to look for. Early detection is key.

There is a prescription ointment that is an alternative to surgery for the basal cell carcinomas if they are caught early. You may want to ask your doctor about that if you have frequent recurrence. It leaves your skin lighter in tone but I will take that over the surgery any day!

The contact dermatitis is a pain - I ran into that as well. Now I buy something called Hypafix for my bandages and I can avoid the rash by using it instead of bandages or tape.

Good luck and monitor yourself closely going forward! Learn to love that sunscreen!

Old 06-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, looks like pretty minor surgery and it should cure the problem quickly. Good luck on that and selling your Cal. house.

Gene
Old 06-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #74
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the update... Cut that stuff out!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Surgery today.

Hi, well today was the day for my surgery. They removed the scar on my back, from the surgery two years ago, that didn't get it all. [Basal Cell] Taking more skin and hopefully they got it all this time. I was done at about 2:30 this afternoon and so far so good. Haven't taken any pain pills and it's been about eight hours now. I cannot lift things more than ten pounds or bend my back very much because the skin is too tight and might break the stitches. Helpless for two weeks. Hope I get a negative lab report. That would be a positive thing.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, Bob, for keeping us posted, and for the timely reminder of the importance of skin protection from the sun. As mentioned in my post on this thread, I had a lesion removed from the bridge of my nose, via Mohs surgery... thankfully, they got it all!

Hope all goes well... Happy Independence Day and hopefully, Happy independence from Basal-cell carcinoma!

-- Bill
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wishing you an uneventful recovery, Robert, and hopes for a negative lab report.

I have been very successful the past 4-5 years with "zapping" growths on my face, where I had a small, basal cell carcinoma removed many years ago, with tea tree oil.

You know how, as you get older, odd little skin things pop up....probably some from excessive sun exposure as a (more) foolish young person, some just from the aging process. Being a bit vain, as women tend to be, I am most unhappy with those that pop up on my face.

I don't care if they are benign growths, they could become malignant and I just don't want them there. I feel disfigured and don't want to look at them.

Rather than go to a dermatologist, for a prescription something or surgical removal of some sort, when they pop up and are clearly there to stay or are evolving, I dab tea tree oil on them 3-4 times a day and they go away. Every time.

If they didn't, I would, of course, see a dermatologist, but so far this treatment has been 100% successful.

I keep a bottle of tea tree oil in the medicine cabinet at home, also in the Interstate. It is an excellent, natural skin treatment for many things, and I recently saw a simple recipe for a tea tree oil soap that is antiseptic and might be a good thing to add to a first aid kit.

8 ounces glycerine, melted, with 1 tablespoon tea tree oil stirred in
Pour into small somethings to cool and solidify

Maggie
Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Best of luck with your recovery.

A few years ago, my husband had a similar experience with a basal cell carcinoma on his chest. Came back after the first surgery. After the second surgery, the lab report also said they didn't get it all. Immediately after the incision healed, the dermatologist prescribed a cream that contained a chemo drug of some kind. It worked like a charm, and the cancer has stayed gone. Much easier than another surgery!

If your lab report is less than optimal, ask them about the cream.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Thank You everyone; As I mentioned earlier, I was given a choice of a medication or surgery. The surgery had the most chance of complete removal of the two. Also, I had to go back up North, about 900 miles away from my wife, and due to the location of this Basal Cell, [middle of my back] I would not be able to use this medication by myself. [the best way that I could explain the location, when a new doctor or anyone else asks, is: if I was a girl, it would be where my back bone and bra strap cross] I can't reach that area at all. The medication, cream, or whatever it is, would have to be put on my back every day for months, by my wife. I never heard of Tree Tea Oil; Sounds interesting. I had one other little bump on my face, that was frozen a few times and just wouldn't go away. The previous dermatologist froze the heck out of it and I believe that did the trick. Last night, or early this morning, [about 2:00 AM] I took one Tylenol PM so I could sleep and slept like a baby for about six hours or so. My back pain just feels like a tight knot in my back, but not enough for me to take any more pain medication. I may take one more tonight.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #80
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Robert,

I wish you the best. In the last three years, I have had all three forms of skin cancer removed. The first was the melanoma that scared the living $#%! out of me.

I go in every three months or so for what I call a whole hide check, and I would urge anyone who has had any of the forms to do the same. This stuff is nothing to treat casually.

Steve
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Wow, on the 4th of July. Well, hope all is truly negative!

I have all kinds of "things" starting to come out of my skin - tags, moles, warts, dark spots. Just hope I don't start looking like a toad! I have not been to the doctor but there are some that are starting to look odd. I have tea tree oil but never used it for that. Interesting. Do you just smear it on?

I just looked at pictures of BCC. Nasty. Hopefully it will plague you no more.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, you don't smear tea tree oil on, you dab it.

It is pungent, and will clear your sinuses....trust me.

If you have anything that concerns you, you should certainly see a doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

Tea tree oil stops many of these little skin things in their tracks. Within a couple of days, they start to shrink, a few more and they are gone. Voila!

Tea tree oil also stops itching from insect bites and treats ringworm.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I am witness to my skin changing as I age and not in good ways. By my early 60's, it has been getting dry and thin, so I put skin cream (not hand lotion) on my legs, arms and back. Barb has to do my back and proves once again she's indispensable). This keeps my skin from being too dry and getting itchy and developing scabby growths on my shoulders. I suspect Tea Tree Oil does the same thing as hand lotion or skin cream—creates a barrier between the skin surface and the air, allowing the natural oils skin produces in lesser and lesser quantities as we age. The barrier allows the skin oils to keep skin from getting too dry. Living in the high desert, dry skin is always an issue. I don't get the scabby things anymore and the itchy skin is mostly gone. Another solution is taking a shower once a month, but not a socially acceptable one, though it probably helped cave men.

I don't remember if the scabby growths are pre-cancerous, but they are an annoyance. I got a couple of bad sun burns on my shoulders and back when I was a teenager, so the skin may have been damaged enough to cause this to happen 50 years later. I've been careful ever since and I guess that's helped, though I sometimes get things on my head that are frozen with liquid nitrogen, but no wrinkles yet. My wife thinks it is unfair that even though I'm 10 years older I don't get wrinkles and she does. But every one of her wrinkles are beautiful (she likes hearing that, but I don't think she believes me).

A few dermatologists have told me men don't like to use skin cream because it is feminine. But it is feminine to live longer, so it is ok with me. I use Nivea because Barb had some when I started doing this and I saw no reason to try something else if Nivea worked.

I'm hoping for a good test report Bob.

Gene
Old 07-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Had a Melanoma removed just a week before taking early retirement which kind of took the enjoyment out of anticipating retirement for a while!

But all that was 16 years ago and all is well! They did have me going for a checkup several times for the first year after removal.

It did leave me with a scar about the size of a silver dollar on the side of my foot due to the need for a skiing graft, but that was certainly a small price to pay.

Hope all goes as well for you.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote