Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
PSA changes

Sorry about all the problems with the skin cancers. When I was a kid on the farm, my mom always made us wear long sleeve shirts and wear a big straw hat when working in the field. I hated it because I wanted a tan but she would not relent. Am I glad now?!
As to the PSA changes, my doctor has indicated that we should be concerned about sudden changes upward in the PSA number. He called 2 or 3 years ago and was concerned about my number. I had started riding a stationary bike on a regular basis. I stayed off it for 10 days, went back for a test and the number had returned to normal. Now each year prior to my physical, I take care not to ride the bike for a few days. That may be applicable to some others although I cannot say definitively that was the cause for my sudden increase. Just one more thing to consider.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
3 basal cell and 1 melanoma. My favorite sunscreen is Neutrogena Wet Skin. I will remain my lovely pale self while everyone else burns to a crisp even though I offer to share the sunscreen. I wear a hat, long sleeves most of the time.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, today I went in to have a few things checked; One spot was frozen and a few more injections in my back. Unless something new pops up, "Come back in a year" for another inspection.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #60
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
............... Oooops.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Maybe again?

Hi, last week I had an appointment with my Dermatologist; I was stung by a wasp and it turned into a rash. A few days later, I noticed and felt something wrong with my back. I will visit my Dermatologist again tomorrow. This is the same place where I had Basil Cell Carcinoma. Possible biopsy tomorrow?

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
bob, next time get a bee sting because they're supposed to be good for you ;-)

prayers for you for good checkup.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ooooh, good luck!

Maggie
Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #64
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Cancer Sucks... prayers up!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
May be wrong, but i've heard skin cancer is the number one killer of all cancers. As for the "inappropriate thread comment earlier", i would agree that this "off topic" thread is more than appropriate given our out of doors lifestyle as road warriors. Oh, and it may save a few lives...for sure if what i said earlier is true. My wife and i are always taking a look at new growths, freckles, etc. Most are harmless, but better safe than sorry. As for "two shirts", i'd tell her that there is a large line of SPF clothing now available at many of the sporting good stores. Look in the fishing sections.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock. Wide brimmed hat. Once a year check at dermatologist.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #67
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
One of the best things you can hear is, "We'll see you in a year for your annual check-up".
Eat healthy, keep a healthy attitude and stay out of the sun as much as possible. Use a sun umbrella whenever possible. Being allergic to many sunblocks made me search other options.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, I hope this is just a false alarm. I'll be thinking of you.

Titulsa, There are different types of skin cancer. Melanoma is the most serious and should be caught early. Bob had basil cell carcinoma and that usually can be frozen off with liquid nitrogen. If not, it can be cut out, a simple outpatient procedure. I have had a number of pre-cancerous such growths and all of them were frozen easily and did not return. Bob could have a new one and it could mean nothing. If there is any question, the dermatologist takes a scraping and sends it to a lab to make sure. This is out of an abundance of caution and the odds are in Bob's favor. If it is melanoma, it has been caught early, so the prognosis is good. The worst place to get melanoma is on your head, not your back.

Gene
Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Waiting for an appointment for surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, more on my story. At my age, [now 66] every little new bump gets checked by my doctor. She froze many of these spots, but the one on my nose that kept flaking. She sent me to the dermatologist for that one. First the biopsy and later the surgery. The first surgery was a MOHS type in which they test it on the spot to see if they get it all. They made quite a crater in my nose. I opted, or chose, to have the plastic surgery done the same day. At that time, I pointed out a suspicious looking spot on my left temple. So this area was biopsied too. I planned for this surgery to be done as soon as possible. Tests showed that they didn't get it all and that I would have to go back and have the same spot opened again. Tests showed that I was cleared this time. Later I had a spot on my back that wouldn't stop itching, so I had it tested too. The spot on my back tested positive for Basal Cell Carcinoma. Before my scheduled surgery I got what is called "Contact Dermatitis" a reaction from band aids. So instead of having my back surgery before we went on our first cruise ship cruise I had it done when we came home. As I was getting my surgery, I asked my doctor if she could take a little extra out to make sure we get it all. Now I'm waiting for the results, hoping I don't have to have this one re-opened. I'm happy to get this done and over with. The worst part was the about 20 needles that were stuck in my face for the biopsies and surgeries. [they really hurt] I now use more sun screen, wear hats, [I was never a hat person] and stay out of direct sun light. [stay in shaded areas or inside]
Quote:
Hi, today I went to have my stitches removed from my back; Doctor said it was healing up good. I hope that I'm done with this for now and forever.
Quote:
Hi, my Dermatologist told me to be re-checked in six months after the surgery on my back. Well, six months is in November. [I just went] My surgery never felt quite right, but my Doctor said this was a normal healing process and the strange feelings could last up to two years. I was given two cortisone shots in my back to help with the strange feelings that I was having. [normal] Me being a mechanical type person, my Doctor said I was very descriptive in how it feels. I told her that sometimes the scare area on my back [located on center with my back bone] felt like the stitches were too deep and into my back bone. The other feeling that I was getting felt like my shirt was safety pinned to my skin, at the surgery area. OK, so I'm clear for now as per my last inspection for skin problems, but now my blood test results show my PSA is to high for my age. I now have to wait for about one month to have my blood tested for PSA again and hope it has gone down. If not, I will have to have Biopsies for this too.
Hi, well I thought that I wrote it here somewhere, but maybe I didn't. After my back surgery, two years ago, the lab tests showed a tiny bit was still on me. I was told that this tiny bit would most likely just go away. The other night, I noticed a white spot on my scar. It was a piece of dead skin. Then my back started to itch again. Today, I went to see my Dermatologist [different one] I was given a choice of a medication or surgery. Discussed this with my wife, and due to things going on in our lives at this time, we, the doctor, my wife, and I all agreed that surgery would be the best for me.
Waiting to see how soon I can get this done.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Robert, this is one situation where aggressive response is best. I see my dermatologist every 3 months, so far nothing positive, but there is always something new to investigate. Basal cell is relatively easy and slow, but we need to watch for those nasty melanomas. All our wishes for a great outcome.